The Decline and Fall of Europe

Azarkon

Austria is a beautiful place to visit, i know very little about their politics though. The people seemed friendly if a bit subdued.

They were simply fearful and apprehensive of the tall stranger who carried the magic lightning.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Austria could be a better place if we'd get rid of this unbearable and faceless Republic... and best bring the Monarchy back, like half of Europe consists of. It would be a good start to get rid of these tiresome party fights and show more political ambitions and progression!

Seems Morgoth miss the old times of the Dual Monarchy :)

PRIUS FLAMMIS COMBUSTA QUAM ARMIS NUMANCIA VICTA

He and Jorian could probably have an interesting discussion about that :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

How bizzare Austria is one of those countries that since WW2 seems to have remained absolutely silent...
Depends on where you live, they're just not very loud, because they're "neutral". Still easy enough to hear what's going on.

Morgoth: Are you familiar with Joseph Roth's later works?

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

There was a big bruhaha here in Europe when Haider got elected in Austria. I never heard anything else about it since, though.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

How bizzare Austria is one of those countries that since WW2 seems to have remained absolutely silent...
Depends on where you live, they're just not very loud, because they're "neutral". Still easy enough to hear what's going on.

Morgoth: Are you familiar with Joseph Roth's later works?

I only read "Der Radetzkymarsch", which was an excellent book. Can you recommend any other works from him?

Edited by Morgoth

Yes, altough it's not at all about monarchy, I enjoyed "Die Legende vom Heiligen Trinker" - it's a very satiric form of "legend" about the luck in the life of a heavy drinker. Then there's the very atmospheric "Das falsche Gewicht", where some of the monarchy-nostalgia shines through. And of course his witty and clear sighted newspaper essays about the coming nazism in the 1920ies.

I'm glad that Haider isn't very influenceful (anymore?). Who are you referring to as his duplicate?

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

• 1 month later...

Christ I almost forgot about this thread.

For President or to get back the monarchy? o:)

As the head of a Parliamentarian Monarchy, that includes some of our former neighbors as economical and political allies in order to build a stronger Central European zone (state?), thus presenting a stronger position in the EU, and also aiming for a stronger (foreign) policy. Because as a Republican President, he would wield no power whatsover, and nobody would listen to him (like to our current president - a faceless nobody, but a dangerous nobody).

The current 2nd Republic of Austria, an abomination that was artificially created in 1955, is nothing else than a porperty of corrupt parties that loot the people dry with no desire to change that. The same parties that in the 1920s fought each other in a civil war for property and power instead of facing the Nazis, and consequently selling out to Hitler. In fact, the creation of the first Republic and the banishment of the Habsburg was an illegal act, that was forced my no less than Nationalists, that in the end prevailed in creating a Republic. You really think the majority of the folks wanted the Habsburgs expelled? Nobody wanted that, except a handful brainwashed power-mongrels.

I'm glad that Haider isn't very influenceful (anymore?). Who are you referring to as his duplicate?

Well, he's still influental, but he's working a bit more "underground" and dirtier now. I don't know the exact politics of Carinthia (where he's the regional leader), but he created a new right-wing party a few years ago, and now it seems he's up to something awful again with his goons...at least in Carinthia. He just makes no shows in public anymore, but that doesn't make him less dangerous (read: stupid).