Zayne Carrick

While I don't like "Squinquargesimus" as a surname for Malak either, you cannot hold the comic book responsible for that, since as of issue 25, that name has yet to appear in its pages.

Heh. Turns out the writers of the KotOR comic book apparently didn't like "Squinquargesimus" as a surname for Alek (Malak) either and decided to drop it.

As I've mentioned before, the surname was chosen by the Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force book, not by the comic book series, which seems to refuse to even use it :(

In issue 31 of the comic book, Alek has to go to Coruscant incognito and uses the alias "Captain Malak" to secretly meet with jedi masters Vrook and Vandar. Vrook upon seeing him calls him "young Squin... Squar... whatever your name is!"

Alek/Malak replies: "It was always just Alek. We didn't have surnames on Quelii, only names of our home village. That's what wound up on the immigration records after we escaped."

In short: Malak/Alek is from the Qeulli, where they don't use surnames. Since he is from a village called Squinquargesimus, the Republic noted that as his surname when he left the planet and joined the jedi order. Apparently fellow jedi nicknamed him "Squint" for the same reason. But while he was known officially as Squinquargesimus in the Republic's records, it was never truly his name.

Also of interest is that issue 31 is the first time he uses the name Malak, and he appears with this large, broad "lines" on his bald head, meaning he now looks exactly like we saw him in the flashback scenes of the KotOR games (particularly the first) and uses the name Malak too.

EDIT: Is it just me or are there a lot of KotOR1 characters in the comic books series by now? In issue 31 I note: Carth Onasi, Malak, Vrook Lamar, Vandar Tokare, and Saul Karath.

Edited by Jediphile

What exactly is Zayne's "special relationship" with the Force? Never managed to figure that out...

It's never been explained. It been suggested it was just thought up by the First WatchCircle as an excuse to knight Zayne, but I think Vandar mentions it in one issue as well, so I'll rule that out. Other speculation goes that Zayne has some sort of luck/unluck-ability that gets him into silly situations, but always arranges things so that he comes out of them somehow. Not sure about that, except it does explain some his miraculous escapes and near-deaths on several occasions. That's entirely speculative, though. They'll tell us some day.

• 3 weeks later...
Ah, I thought I was missing something. He does have a lot of luck, but so does Han Solo, for that matter.

Seems to be confirmed now, since Haazen speaks of it to Zayne in issue 32:

"But we have you, Zayne Carrick - and your special relationship with the force. Yes, I know of that. Sudden reversals of fortune are your business."

Seems like the writers, John Jackson Miller, decided to give the character the force-equivalent of a "get-out-of-jail-free"-card. Useful for a protagonist :)

Massive conflict on Coruscant right during the Mandalorian Wars in issue 32, though. The jedi covenant of seers is exposed and explodes into a virtual war between the jedi following the jedi council and those loyal to the covenant. It seems a little over the top, somehow. I mean, how can something that huge take place during the Mandalorian Wars - just before Revan splits the order, and yet nobody ever mentions it in K1 or TSL? I sense potential canon plot conflict, I fear... I'd have thought a smaller confrontation that the council would then sweep under the carpet and declare a dirty little secret, but the scale seems to massive now, unless the author is willing to do some major damage control on the council's behalf...

I wonder if he will become one of the Dark Lords of the Sith in Kotor 2. The masters are pretty dead set in trying to kill him because of their visions that he will end the Jedi Order. Nihilus when he was young?

I just read the first post so forgive me if anyone has said this.

The Sith Lord in the vision is none other than Malak a.k.a. Alec [insert-long-last-name-here].

They say that the Sith Lord in their vision is clad in a red enviromental suit - like Zayne and the others are wearing at the time. This leads to the belief that one of the padawans will destroy the order.

However, at the end of Flashpoint when Jarael is saying goodbye to Alek, he wearing the red enviromental suit from the vision.

And seeing as Alek does become Darth Malak not long after...