Book suggestions thread

ramza

Christmas isn't very far, and it is time for us (for me at least) to start looking for presents for my gf. She has an interest in light fantasy novels such as Harry Potter and Chronicles of Narnia. I have been trying to find something new for her and I discovered the His Dark Materials series from Philip Pullman. These books look quite interesting. Has anyone read them? Any impressions to share?

Link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/His_Dark_Materials

Apparently, there's a movie adaptation of the first volume due out in december 2007...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

A huge favourite of mine, and one just waiting to become a animated movie:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Land-Green-Ginger-...1118&sr=8-1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

A huge favourite of mine, and one just waiting to become a animated movie:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Land-Green-Ginger-...1118&sr=8-1

\

You just like it b/c it has Green ;) Or is that my reason ... hehe ...

FLoSD.ObE

Nutloop.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

ramza: the Dark Materials series are really excellent, on quality and on entertainment as well I would rank them far above Narnia and Harry Potter, they're lovely books and the world is actually really well made. Most recommendable.

ramza: the Dark Materials series are really excellent, on quality and on entertainment as well I would rank them far above Narnia and Harry Potter, they're lovely books and the world is actually really well made. Most recommendable.

Thanks for you opinion, Tigranes. I guess I will go buy them then...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Thanks for you opinion, Tigranes. I guess I will go buy them then...

The third one was completely whacky.

-Elwood Blues

It was the best one though, if only for the final bits with the

World of the Dead, those elephant things & Mary, and the final resolution

It was the best one though, if only for the final bits with the

World of the Dead, those elephant things & Mary, and the final resolution

Er, yeeees.

I can't tell you how entertaining it is to read about peope's demons nuzzling each other. Not at all dubious

-Elwood Blues