Interplay to make Fallout Online

MMORPG market isn't particularly flooded. Unless you're including the Korean ones.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Besides, isn't the MMORPG market flooded with MMORPGs of all different types. There are just too many to support any more.

That hasn't really proven to be true. They actually say that with every new generation of MMO's, but the fact is, a solid product is always in demand. People didn't think EQ could capture enough folks with UO out, and people questioned whether WoW could succeed in an EQ dominated landscape. Recently, LotR Online has carved out a decent niche, and even with WoW taking an obscene amount of subscriptions, EQ2, EVE Online, and CoH still manage to stay profitable. So it's pretty unknown what the MMO ceiling is, but it hasn't been hit yet.

Also, I wouldn't say there are MMO's of all different types. While EVE Online and CoH are refreshingly unique, most MMO's are remarkably similiar. There is room for some new design ideas.

We already had one post apocalyptic MMO and it failed.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I am just saying that with FOOL there isn't even a basic community in the wings waiting for this game unlike Van Buren or Bethesda's monstrousity. If Herve is really serious about getting Interplay in making games he needs to drop Fallout and start over from scratch.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Cashing on the Fallout name is the best thing he can do financially now. Better work the metal when it's hot.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I am just saying that with FOOL there isn't even a basic community in the wings waiting for this game unlike Van Buren or Bethesda's monstrousity. If Herve is really serious about getting Interplay in making games he needs to drop Fallout and start over from scratch.

Actually, that depends on how well Fallout 3 does. If it's a hit, then it stands to reason that FOOL will be able to use that momentum. Most buyers don't pay a lot of attention to different developers, they just look for name brands they know.

There's a massive community waiting in the wings for a good sci-fi MMO. What are you talking about? All the old SWG players, Planetside players, EVE players who want something with an actual character.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

^Precisely. Then there'll everyone who has played both Fallout 3 and WoW. Assuming that F3 sells well with the Bethesda(read: "From the makers of Oblivion") name, can you imagine what kind of size a playerbase like that is?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

^Precisely. Then there'll everyone who has played both Fallout 3 and WoW. Assuming that F3 sells well with the Bethesda(read: "From the makers of Oblivion") name, can you imagine what kind of size a playerbase like that is?

One of the reasons why I do hope Bethesda's Fallout 3 fails. I have seen the pics of bethesda's Fallout and it looks like nothing what a proper Fallout should look like. I just wished they made an original CRPG instead but I guess they are all out of original ideas and designs over there.

I'm not against IP on principle. I might buy the MMORPG if it looks good. MMORPGs take intelligence, care, effort, bankroll, and a lot of luck to survive. I don't think IP has what it takes to make it work. I'll eat crow if I'm wrong.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I have seen the pics of bethesda's Fallout and it looks like nothing what a proper Fallout should look like.

Did you not realize the stupidity of the above sentence while you were writing it?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

So now it is stupid to expect a Fallout game from a game that is suppose to be a continuation of the primary series?

Funny, I keep hearing sounds like someone who hasn't quit gaming forever is talking, but I don't see anybody when I look around.

I think I'm haunted.

:rolleyes:

I guess you weren't around when Tale changed my mind. You know, people can change their choices given time or is that basic ability too much for your brain to comprehend?

That you reneged on your statement is immaterial. What matters is that the statement was monumentally stupid and histrionic in the first place, stupid enough to easily warrant several months of nonstop ridicule.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Sand

Just because it isn't a boring click-fest with crappy graphics doesn't mean it can't continue the story. You've seen screenshots. Most of the time, you can't tell what a story will be like from a screenshot.

Fallout was many things but boring wasn't one of them and there were a lot of games with crappier graphics back in late 1990s. The screenshots of Bethesda's Fallout, as well statements from the designers themeselves, show that they totally discarded the rules system as while the gameplay style that made Fallout 1 and 2 fun.

That you reneged on your statement is immaterial. What matters is that the statement was monumentally stupid and histrionic in the first place, stupid enough to easily warrant several months of nonstop ridicule.

Ah, burn.

kirottu said:

Stick to the topic and not about discuss the fellow posters in a confrontational manner.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

The more ... intense of the Fallout fans around here may already know this, but when Interplay sold the Fallout IP, they retained the rights to make "Fallout Online." Well, Interplay released its quarterly report yesterday, and now that the company is once again in the black (entirely due to the deal with Bethesda), it's ready to get to work.

Interplay CEO Herve Caen said in a statement, "I am pleased with the progress the company has made, particularly with our debt load, which has improved from $59 million in December 2001 to less than $3 million today.

"With that difficult period behind us, we are focused on securing funding for development of a Massively Multiplayer Online Game (MMOG) based on the popular Fallout franchise. Along with our strategy of leveraging our existing portfolio of intellectual gaming properties, Fallout Online will play a key role in the future of Interplay."

Next-Gen.biz

Kotaku

So is this a good idea? Blasphemy? Doomed for failure? I personally don't care, because I don't play MMO games and I don't have any great love for the Fallout games. So I definitely do not have a horse in this race. However, I figured this would be right in the wheelhouse for some of the community members here, so have at it.

Fallout is not a MMOG type of game, its an RPG and always will be. Its sad how the mighty Interplay has fallen.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester