Combining speaker sets

Pidesco

Way back when I got my old Sound Blaster Live, I used two 2.0 speaker sets to get 4.0 sound. And so, I was able to play System Shock 2 and Thief with proper positional sound.

Well, now Bioshock's release is looming ever closer, and I was thinking of getting a 5.1 speaker set to combine with my stereo's speakers to have 7.1 sound with my (future) new X-Fi Xtreme Gamer sound card. Is this at all possible? How do the different speakers connect to the sound card in a 5.1 system, and in a 7.1 system, respectively?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

there's no distinction between the speakers other than size. i.e. you speakers weren't "2.0" they were just two speakers, and you used to sets to make four speakers. that said, all you need to do is get two additional speakers to "upgrade" your 5.1 to 7.1. most speakers except for maybe the front two, and front middle, are simple satellites so size appropriately, i.e. if you're only putting out 5W of power, don't get 3' speakers for the satellites.

either way, there should be instructions for hooking up your respective 5.1 and 7.1... probably just separate inputs in pairs (front LR, rear LR, etc.).

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in a 5.1 or a 7.1 system, the satellites are connected to the subwoofer, and it's the subwoofer itself that's connected to the sound card, right?

So you're saying that the subwoofer that comes with a 5.1 speaker system isn't any different from a subwoofer belonging to a 7.1 system? Because it seems to me that I'd have to connect my stereo directly to the subwoofer to get a 7.1 setup with the 5.1 speakers.

P.S.: I don't have a surround speaker system, yet. This is to help decide which system to buy (either 5.1 or 7.1).

Oh, and thanks for any help you guys try to give me.

Heja Sverige!!

If your PC is connected by one single conneciton cable to the subwoofer, which in that case contains the decoder for the digital signal, and that subwoofer does not have the option to plug in two additional sattelites, you can't upgrade the system to 7.1 with another set of 2 speakers.

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

That would mean that I can't save money this way, then. :sad:

Can anyone recommend good, budget surround headphones?

Edited by Pidesco

Heja Sverige!!

If your PC is connected by one single conneciton cable to the subwoofer, which in that case contains the decoder for the digital signal, and that subwoofer does not have the option to plug in two additional sattelites, you can't upgrade the system to 7.1 with another set of 2 speakers.

in such an instance, yes, the 7.1 sub would be different than the 5.1 sub. the speakers themselves, however, are otherwise identical (well, depends upon the brand, but all 5 of my logitech 5.1 speakers are identical, with the mid-range, i.e. front-center, simply turned on its side), which is what i was getting at. so, yes, you'd need a 7.1 decoder on your x-fi output if you wanted to pair a 5.1 system with two additional speakers.

taks

btw, i should add, i'm running an audigy 2 zs (er, something like that) with the 5.1 surround. i'm not sure how much better it can get. it sounds amazing, quite frankly. i just ordered a new receiver for my home theater that's 7.1 but i can't even use the extra speakers yet (the other two were not pre-wired into my house, and i don't feel like running wires along the floor). personally, i've never understood the reason to go from 5.1 to 7.1... no, i wasn't one of those guys that thought 2.1 was good (or even just "stereo"), i like 5.1...

taks

• 2 weeks later...

The two times I tried gaming with such a headphone, I found the sound-quality lacking... I prefer my good old Logitech 5.1 system (though it's not usable for gaming anymore, as we use it for the dvd-player in our livingroom...) or my normal stereo headphones.

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

btw, my new 7.1 receiver is outstanding. one of these years i'm going to buckle down and get a real receiver, one of the high current models, as well as a speaker set from definitive technologies (oh,my,garage do those speakers sound nice... better than polk).

taks