Silicon Knights suing Epic over Unreal Engine 3

Zoma

http://kotaku.com/gaming/breaking/silicon-...d-us-280491.php

Apparently Epic is being sued due over limited functionality Unreal 3 Engine gives.

76. The problems created by Epic's withholding of such enhancements and

optimizations on the dubious grounds of them being "game-specific" became especially

pronounced when such withholding impacted the specific benchmarks known as "Technical

Certification Requirements" (or "TCRs") that every videogame must meet before it can be

played on a particular game console.

Silicon Knights by the way is notable for Eternal Darkness and the first Legacy of Kain series.

Considering that Obsidian had licensed the Unreal engine and if this news is true... meh.

Thank goodness the Aliens RPG game engine is in-house made.

Update:

Another related news to the Unreal engine:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/busted/unreal-eng...late-280548.php

Edited by Zoma

Wasn't UE 2.5 called Warfare?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Wasn't UE 2.5 called Warfare?

No. There was some time Epic have begone working on a title called "Unreal Warfare", which then turned into Gears of War. Later they scrapped that "Warfare" designation completely.

As for the law suit: What's Obsidians opinion about that matter? Does Project Georgia suffer under the same circumstances? At any rate, I wouldn't mind seeing Epic' arse burned for a change and watching Mark Rain crying, preferably in front of a camera. :thumbsup:

Maybe this is why we didn't hear anything about PG in E3... no working engine, no product :sad:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

No it didn't Sawyer.

R6: Vegas used a heavily modified build of UE2.5.

Because of the problems with UE3.

I'm pretty sure R6 Vegas used UE3 but implemented it poorly

You and everybody else on the internet. You have the game, look in the back of the manual.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

Too Human... It's great to see that consoles have their own little (ok, not little but damn expensive) Duke Nuken Forever type of project :)

Too human was hyped back in e3 I think 1999. I think development started years earlier so I guess it's ok to say that it's been 10+ years in development. Not that I care too much about consoles or that game anymore but some reason design documents sounded interesting back in 1999. Now it's all just vaporware.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Well, other developers using the U3 engine have reported no problems. Wether this is because they couldnt because of legal issues, or if its because their techs had better luck adapting the engine, remains unknown

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Even if they have problems they can't report it openly to the public since it will be a breach of contract I think. The only way to report it openly is via suing in court.

Not sure if many people notice this that the games that uses Unreal Engine 3 had been involved in many delays?

No it didn't Sawyer.

You and everybody else on the internet. You have the game, look in the back of the manual.

lol wtf your right

This seems to be more of a problem with Epic refusing to offer proper technical support, and with holding updates for the engine.

That doesn't mean the engine could be considered poor to work with I am unsure and cannot say anything in regards to the engine proper, but the post indicates more of a problem in regards to business relations than the underlaying technology of UE3.0 in its current state.

It'll be interesting to see how this all develops.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

No it didn't Sawyer.

lol wtf your right

To Wikipedia!

Edit: Looked at the discussion page and I have been beaten, check this out though:

scan.jpg

Lawls.

Edited by Fenghuang

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

I just received confirmation from the animation director of R6:V (through a co-worker) that it runs on the Unreal 3 engine. I've heard multiple Ubi employees say the same thing, so I was pretty puzzled by what you wrote. I don't know if the manual is in error or what but... yeah.