Play Half-life 2 WITH YOUR BRAIN!

:sorcerer:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Just one more step towards cybernetics!

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

I wonder if I could lift up that Grandma in the wheelchair if I'd just concentrate intensily enough...Heh. Other than that, Brain-Human CUIs seem to be currently a very interesting field in Biomed Engineering and Telematics/IT. Some people at my Uni had build these Quake 3 levels where a guy with his visor could walk through sections virtually. I wonder if a blinded cripple could achieve the same in some open city traffic...

That's a lot more advanced than I thought ... I can foresee a time very soon when this will be as common and indispensable as the remote control seems now, compared to a decade ago ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

This is very interesting. I would like to know more about their technology and how it would practically apply for the elderly and the disabled. Heck, if i had the money, i would probably invest money in them, a lot.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Wave of the future, indeed.

How long is it before we truly hand over the reigns of humanity to computers? Or have we already passed the point of no return?

Edited by Arkan

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Hey! Almost a page in and nobody has commented on my stupid geeky YET CONTEXTUAL Star Wars quote.

It is because you misspelled BELIEVE.

We have long since passed the point of no return with respect to industry and civilization ... can you imagine going back to banking without computers?

Possibly...but we would still be able to survive, and ultimately again thrive even if somethind did happen. Life...will go on...

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

This isn't a British forum.

Edited by Sand

We have long since passed the point of no return with respect to industry and civilization ... can you imagine going back to banking without computers?

Have you read Ismael by Danielle Quinn? It goes into how we ruined the earths equilibrium (if there is such a thing) by starting the agriculture revolution and it ties the whole adam and eve story to it making the first sin agriculture. How we can't go back, so we have to make room, we have to limit our population, and let biodiversity grow... all of this from a talking gorilla. hmmm come to think of it pretty weird, but the adam and eve twist was entertaining to me as I was first diving into philosophy.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

No, I haven't. It sounds like alarmist nonsense; the population growth is more than likely to even out and balance with what the Earth can provide, and human technology is more than likely going to re-engage with sustainable practices in the very near future ... there was a news item this week on some guy's idea to create multi-storey farms in New York, for example (probably borrowing heavily from research done in the self-sufficient Biodome experiments).

Possibly...but we would still be able to survive, and ultimately again thrive even if somethind did happen. Life...will go on...

You didn't clarify extraneous terms such as "minimal levels of survivability" in your initial question, so I had to make a response to help clarify your question. As for "life", there have been five mass extinctions (generally agreed terminology) in the history of the planet so far, and one of them (the Permian-Triassic extinction event) killed 53% of marine families, 84% of marine genera, about 96% of all marine species and an estimated 70% of land species (including plants, insects, and vertebrate animals).

Life wants to live.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Haha, it's not the British spelling, you're gullible.

Its still not British.

Thats...what I just said :aiee:

Then we are in agreement. Good. :)