Vesak

metadigital

In case anyone is interested, today is the Vesak, which is analogous to Christmas and Easter, only for Buddhists. (Some countries celebrated the first Full Moon in May, some the last full moon, so some countries celebrated Vesak on 2nd May this year, because of the two full moons in May this year.)

post-7008-1180454094_thumb.png

1. Suffering: Birth is suffering, aging is suffering, illness is suffering, death is suffering; union with what is displeasing is suffering; separation from what is pleasing is suffering; not to get what one wants is suffering; in brief, the five aggregates subject to clinging are suffering.
  2. The cause of suffering: The craving which leads to renewed existence (rebirth) (the cycle of samsara)
  3. The cessation of suffering: The cessation of craving.
  4. The way leading to the cessation of suffering: The Noble Eightfold Path;

namaste

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Wait. Let me get this straight... if I give up everything I enjoy then I _don't_ get eternally reborn? Whuh?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I stared at this and wondered how I could have lived in Buddhist countries and never heard of it. Then I realised you were talking about the Buddha's Birthday. :skeptical:

Happy Buddha's Birthday everyone. >_<

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

HBB everyone! :ermm:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Happy Vesak to everyone.

I never really thought about it, but taking away all craving seems like a dead end for humanity to me. It seems to me that we need to learn how to deal with craving, rather than dealing away with it altogether. Desire is fundamental for our survival.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Wait. Let me get this straight... if I give up everything I enjoy then I _don't_ get eternally reborn? Whuh?

Exactly. You get to go to Nirvana instead, which looks very nice in the brochures. Or, if you're a Boddhisatva, you choose to remain behind to spread your wisdom so that others may gain enlightenment.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Happy Vesak to everyone.

I never really thought about it, but taking away all craving seems like a dead end for humanity to me. It seems to me that we need to learn how to deal with craving, rather than dealing away with it altogether. Desire is fundamental for our survival.

I agree.

Steve, as I've said before, if Birvana is good, then I ain't going there until we can ALL go! But as an incentive the first round will be on me!

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Desire may be fundamental for survival, but survival is not what buddhism strives for. Nirvana is.

HBB to everyone!

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Happy Vesak to everyone.

I agree.

Steve, as I've said before, if Birvana is good, then I ain't going there until we can ALL go! But as an incentive the first round will be on me!

This was a typo. I should not have 'Birvana'. I personally aspire to Beervana. A state of obliviousness caused by the imbibing of overstrength ales.

-Elwood Blues

I stared at this and wondered how I could have lived in Buddhist countries and never heard of it. Then I realised you were talking about the Buddha's Birthday. ;)

Happy Buddha's Birthday everyone. :)

:lol: Yeah, hence my analogy with both Christmas (celebration of the birth of Christ).

Happy Vesak to everyone.

It's more about controlling desire, rather than destroying it, as far as I am aware.

Devout Buddhists undertake to lead a noble life according to the teaching by making daily affirmations to observe the eight Precepts. However, on special days, notably new moon and full moon days, they observe additional disciplines to train themselves to practice morality, simplicity and humility.

The Eight Precepts are:

1. Not to kill
  2. Not to steal
  3. Not to engage in improper sexual activity
  4. Not to indulge in wrong speech
  5. Not to take intoxicating drinks and drugs
  6. To abstain from taking food at unreasonable times
  7. To refrain from sensual pleasures such as dancing, singing and self-adornment
  8. To refrain from using high and luxurious seats in order to practice humility.

Buddhists are reminded to live in harmony with people of other faiths and to respect the beliefs of other people as the Buddha had taught.

Bringing happiness to others

Celebrating Vesak also means making special efforts to bring happiness to the unfortunate like the aged, the handicapped and the sick. To this day, Buddhists will distribute gifts in cash and kind to various charitable homes throughout the country. Vesak is also a time for great joy and happiness, expressed not by pandering to one’s appetites but by concentrating on useful activities such as decorating and illuminating temples, painting and creating exquisite scenes from the life of the Buddha for public dissemination. Devout Buddhists also vie with one another to provide refreshments and vegetarian food to devotees who visit the temple to pay homage to the Blessed One.

Personally, I'm all for any philosophy of peaceful coexistence.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

It's more about controlling desire, rather than destroying it, as far as I am aware.

So, you either need to become a Jedi or get a lobotomy to get to paradise?

I think I'll go for a few more rebirths before I am ready :lol:

Happy Vesak to whom it may concern ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Happy Vesak.

Is it me, or does Buddhism seem like the only religion which makes sense and doesn't ever lead to violence?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Is it me, or does Buddhism seem like the only religion which makes sense and doesn't ever lead to violence?

:)

Believe me, Buddhism is just as "bad" religion as all others.

In the very end buddhism IS about killing desire, although with most people it goes under category off repressing it. I mean, when you just born again and again, why should you try to achieve Nirvana with this life? :p

Repressing desire, however, is desirable ( uhh, right =] ) since with better karma your next life will be better. In Theravada buddhism (or as it is better known, hinayana buddhism) it is believed that only monks can achieve Nirvana. In Mahayana buddhism it is not required.

I've always had great respect for buddhism and if I believed what I want to believe, I would be buddhist.

Of course, I have my disagreements and diffrences with some parts of buddhism, but overall it deserves my respect and admire

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

Happy Vesak.

You've clearly never been stabbed by a Thai person.

-Elwood Blues

:lol:

Believe me, Buddhism is just as "bad" religion as all others.

In the very end buddhism IS about killing desire, although with most people it goes under category off repressing it. I mean, when you just born again and again, why should you try to achieve Nirvana with this life? :p

Repressing desire, however, is desirable ( uhh, right :ermm: ) since with better karma your next life will be better. In Theravada buddhism (or as it is better known, hinayana buddhism) it is believed that only monks can achieve Nirvana. In Mahayana buddhism it is not required.

I've always had great respect for buddhism and if I believed what I want to believe, I would be buddhist.

Of course, I have my disagreements and diffrences with some parts of buddhism, but overall it deserves my respect and admire

Well, like all other religions, it's not perfect, but at least it hasn't started any religion wars.

...yet...

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

:ermm:

Just because we're not teached about it in western schools (only logical), doesn't mean buddhist haven't started religious wars, persecutions and massacres

edit:

Happy Vesak.

You've clearly never been stabbed by a Thai person.

Personal experiences?

Edited by Xard

It's more a philosophy than a religion.

Very nice, meta, not only as a gesture, but also informative.

I think I shall choose to be offended by the implicit insinuation that my posts aren't normally informative and contain nice gestures. :ermm:

Oh, except I will forgive you because it's Buddha's birthday. :lol:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

It's more a philosophy than a religion.

Let's not go there :)

In its very original forms, yes. Later on however (especially with mahayana) there's nothing else than religion you can call it

Personal experiences?

Yes. Although I'm pleased to report that it was a highly inexpert stabbing.

-Elwood Blues

Everyone should have (symbolically) bathed the baby Buddha, today.

That could work really well as a euphemism. :)

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: