Very Specific Questions on Skills

My first question is on how skill points are gained. According to Dan Simpson's walkthrough at GameFAQs, "you get (INT Mod x 4) + Class in skill points." So, a Jedi Sentinel with 12 INT gets 16 skill points, 14 INT gets 20 skill points and 16 INT gets 24 skill points.

Examples of equations with 14 INT and 16 INT respectively: (+2 x 4) + "Class in skill points"=20; (+3 x 4) + "Class in skill points"=24. It would seem that the value of "Class in skill points" is 12. May I know where this value is obtained from?

Next, unlike in the first game, is it that INT Mod does not affect the number of skill points obtained per level anymore? Does a Jedi Sentinel get 3 skill points ONLY/level?

Finally, I would like to you guys to criticise my skill build

Awareness: 5

Demolitions: 1

Security: 6

Computer Use, Persuade & Repair to the maximum

Two sources in this forum said 4-6 for Awareness is enough, another said 15. I can't decide..

Is 1 for Demo enough to get me through the first part of the game? AEon's FAQ at BioWare said to get it up to at least a 4, but 4 seems like a rather odd number..

A source in this forum said a rank of 6 for Security allows the PC to open 99.9% of doors, lockers, etc. Is this true?

Does having Persuade at 15 or 20 makes any difference to my dialogue options?

Next, unlike in the first game, is it that INT Mod does not affect the number of skill points obtained per level anymore? Does a Jedi Sentinel get 3 skill points ONLY/level?

Int does affect the number of skill points you get when you level up. Each class gets a basic number (I think its 3 for Guardian/weapon masters for example) Then you get one extra skill point for each +modifyer from Int; For example a Int of 12 gives a +1 Int bonus which translates as one extra skill point per level. Note that this applies to your bonus when you level up, it is not retroactive so if you level up with a Int of 13 (+1 bonus-or one extra skill point) and the next time you level up you bring your Int to 14 (+2 bonus-or two extra skill points) you don't get an extra skill point from the first level.

Finally, I would like to you guys to criticise my skill build

Awareness: 5

Demolitions: 1

Security: 6

Computer Use, Persuade & Repair to the maximum

Two sources in this forum said 4-6 for Awareness is enough, another said 15. I can't decide..

Is 1 for Demo enough to get me through the first part of the game? AEon's FAQ at BioWare said to get it up to at least a 4, but 4 seems like a rather odd number..

A source in this forum said a rank of 6 for Security allows the PC to open 99.9% of doors, lockers, etc. Is this true?

Does having Persuade at 15 or 20 makes any difference to my dialogue options?

Ok, assuming that you are starting out from scratch here and you are playing on standard difficulty;

Higher awareness is useful as it can give you extra dialogue options from time to time as well as allowing you to spot mines faster.

Demo skill of one is useless. I'll give you a free tip, if you can get Demo skill to 5 (Including bonuses from stats and equipment) you'll be able to recover any minor mines you encounter. You'll find that after Peragus you can often use other party members to cover gaps in skills btw-for the most part that means being able to find others who can recover mines for you. 4 might seem an odd number, but from what I can tell it seems to be the equivilent of basic training in that skill.

A skill of 4 in security seems to be enough to open all but three locked containers/doors in the game. One of those locked objects is (relatively) close to the start of the game, and the skill level you need is beyond what you can practically get by that stage.

Yes, higher persuade skill can give you more options when talking to people, as well as giving you the chance to convince them not to fight etc. Very useful.

Thanks for the clarification I have gained enlightenment somewhat! ("Ohh so the "class in skill points" for a Sentinel means basic skill points of 3 x 4=12!")

Mortis, Guardians and Weapon Masters always get base 1 skill point/level, Consulars 2, Sentinels 3. If Guardians and Weapon Masters get 3, rest assured I'll never use Sentinels ever again.

Thanks to you too Scepter. I never realised that disarming mines myself stacks with Kreia's Mentor ability! But as you know I'm going for a Sentinel/Weapon Master build it's kind of hard for me to keep up with all the skills. I want to focus on flushing out extra dialogue options and to be able to build better upgrades instead. Personally, levelling is not that important to add to the experience of the game, mechanics is :yucky:

Oh no I'm gonna ask questions again..

Doesn't an attribute of 13 give a +2 Mod? I'm quite confused about why people avoid putting odd numbers in attributes during character creation. Something about rounding down??

Just to confirm, my Sentinel gets 3 + 2 (from Mod)=5 skill points/level right? My Weapon Master should get 1 + 2 (from Mod)=3 skill points/level?

Roger I'm increasing my Awareness skill rank but what should be the recommended value to get the most out of the game, 10, 15 or 20?

I'm assuming NPCs can't help me with unlocking those 3 particular containers. I'm guessing I've to take up to 20 for Security then?

Oh no I'm gonna ask questions again..

Doesn't an attribute of 13 give a +2 Mod? I'm quite confused about why people avoid putting odd numbers in attributes during character creation. Something about rounding down??

Just to confirm, my Sentinel gets 3 + 2 (from Mod)=5 skill points/level right? My Weapon Master should get 1 + 2 (from Mod)=3 skill points/level?

Roger I'm increasing my Awareness skill rank but what should be the recommended value to get the most out of the game, 10, 15 or 20?

I'm assuming NPCs can't help me with unlocking those 3 particular containers. I'm guessing I've to take up to 20 for Security then?

Attributes give +1 to the modifier at each even number. It's not so much avoiding odd numbers, it's that there's usually not any point being there unless preparing to boost it further.

That amount of skill points sounds right.

With awareness - I think that 15 is all you need to get everything as far as conversation options - someone confirm?

NPC's can open other containers, although there ARE the occasions when you're solo - just whether you want to forgo the extra XP and risk broken items...

"Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope.

Statement: This definition, I am told, is subject to interpretation. Obviously, love is a matter of odds. Not many meatbags could make such a shot, and fewer would derive love from it. Yet for me, love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticle, and together, achieving a singular purpose, against statistically long odds." - HK-47

"BEEP BEEP BOOP!" - T3-M4

"Rawararr!!" - Zaalbar/Hanharr/...pretty much all Wookies...