Lots of zombies? Coop-focused? Valve?

Llyranor

And stuff like splitscreen and guesting and all the stuff that the lolboxites regularly mention are minor technicalities to you? I do realize that the PC might be better for you but that doesn't mean it is better in general.
No, splitscreen is a major deciding factor for me. As in, if I can avoid it, I will. What's the advantage of playing on half a screen, again?

Playing on half a screen means that you have someone sitting beside you playing on the other half. It's the whole human interaction thing. :)

Actually I'm a bit confused why they don't offer that on the PC as well? I mean, you can plug in two controllers. Although most monitors probably aren't very conducive to a split screen.

I think this is probably a big portion of it. It's one thing to play split screen on a moderately sized TV screen (Hell even our 20 year old TV had a nearly 24" screen.), but it's another thing to try that on a 17-19" monitor. :ermm:

So you press a button to flick through available targets. Aiming is the very definition of an FPS, and you think it's 'annoying'.

You are hereby dubbed a lammo.

You both missed the point AND felt the need to be rude. Grow a brain.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I don't know what you mean exactly by guesting, though.

If I remember correctly it is just utilizing splitscreen with online play. Guesting is what Nick calls it here on the forum and I guess it sticks even though the word is horrible at actually explaining what it is.

The PC is a runner up at best because it has less option than the lolbox, I can't really say anything else. The failbox has autmoatically working mics and options for cramming more players into less machines. You might not like those options yourself but that doesn't matter as I never argued that it was better for you.

And yes as far as I know splitscreen hasn't been implemented for the PC. Valve mentioned that splitscreen is integral to the lolbox so I don't know why they think it wont/can't work on the PC.

Yeah, guesting sounds interesting, if that's it.

As for the more players/machine thing, well. That's always been one of the biggest points for consoles. I just don't think all games lend well (as in, superior to PC counterpart) to the splitscreen scheme, anyway. I love a game of PES with a few friends on my PS2, but I'd much rather set up a LAN for a game of L4D under the same circumstances. What for some is a plus (splitscreen), for me is a big turn-off.

You both missed the point AND felt the need to be rude. Grow a brain.
Wha-?

It's been quite a long time since I've tried a console shooter, so I was asking in a non-facetious, non-inflammatory way. Whatever.

Edited by random n00b

Looks... solid. I guess.

And I have low standards.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

You guys are all idiots, anyway.

Just get the version which your friends are getting. No one cares if PC or 360 is better. If you pick a version based on its 'superiority' without any friends to play with, you're an idiot. You're an idiot anyway.

Hadescopy.jpg

Yay me! >_<

Ooooops.

But yeah, console FPSs tend to have varying degrees of autoaim depending on the game. Vegas 1/2 have none, while the Halo aimer will 'follow' badguys strafing your vision if you get it over them. The CoD5 one will move over badguys within a cirtain area of your screen when bringing up the Iron Sights.

This might seem lame, but having played a lot of Red Orchestra (the best WW2 PvP shooter out there, period) pinpoint aiming became more of a sideline frustration to the cover and flanking than 'the game' and i'd really rather that losing in said game was a function of poor tactics and teamwork than poor aim on an individual level. It's not that i'm a bad aim either, it's simply that minute pixel clicking being make or break isn't my idea of fun. As such, in these games, i'll tend to use more close-combat based classes/weapons at which point the autoaim becomes fairly irrelivent either way.

Hadescopy.jpg

You guys are all idiots, anyway.

Just get the version which your friends are getting. No one cares if PC or 360 is better. If you pick a version based on its 'superiority' without any friends to play with, you're an idiot. You're an idiot anyway.

What the hell are you talking about. Getting the superior version is the superior choice.

Superiority > yu0

Yay me! :)

Ooooops.

But yeah, console FPSs tend to have varying degrees of autoaim depending on the game. Vegas 1/2 have none, while the Halo aimer will 'follow' badguys strafing your vision if you get it over them. The CoD5 one will move over badguys within a cirtain area of your screen when bringing up the Iron Sights.

This might seem lame, but having played a lot of Red Orchestra (the best WW2 PvP shooter out there, period) pinpoint aiming became more of a sideline frustration to the cover and flanking than 'the game' and i'd really rather that losing in said game was a function of poor tactics and teamwork than poor aim on an individual level. It's not that i'm a bad aim either, it's simply that minute pixel clicking being make or break isn't my idea of fun. As such, in these games, i'll tend to use more close-combat based classes/weapons at which point the autoaim becomes fairly irrelivent either way.

All right, I'll be honest. I was just trying to grab your attention. Slam Dunk!

Seriously, though. I didn't know about the assisted aim thingy in console shooters. I guess it's just a more forgiving mechanic to place the emphasis of the game on teamwork rather than m4d skillz. In principle I have nothing against that, it just so happens that I grew up on Counter-Strike, so to speak. As I said, I like my pinpoint aiming, but I'm not blind to how that sort of gameplay is unbalanced, unforgiving, and not easy to get into for some. And of course, there's the whole controller thing...

Seriously, though. I didn't know about the assisted aim thingy in console shooters. I guess it's just a more forgiving mechanic to place the emphasis of the game on teamwork rather than m4d skillz. In principle I have nothing against that, it just so happens that I grew up on Counter-Strike, so to speak. As I said, I like my pinpoint aiming, but I'm not blind to how that sort of gameplay is unbalanced, unforgiving, and not easy to get into for some. And of course, there's the whole controller thing...

Yeah, there's a reason why it pretty much took till Halo for anyone to make a console FPS which didn't suck a pile of Hades, and Halo was ONLY good because the devs really thought about what makes console games fun in FPS mode. Forgiving aim, rebounding health and full coop made up for crappy level design and poor artstyle. Thanks to that, other devs have actually learned somthing and we will (with any luck) no longer see the likes of the abominations that were the PS1/2 Medal of Honor games.

Not that I didn't love Counter-Strike et al, and not that I won't still play FPSs that require actual aiming (Operation Flashpoint is still godly).

Hadescopy.jpg