Dreamfall Chapters

funcroc

Ah, finally some concrete news.

I'm pretty excited, although I hope that they will eventually release a compiled edition of all the episodes.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Oh crap. I'm ambivalent about this. I don't like episodic gaming at all (Just look at the Half-Life 2 debacle.. one episode every 8 months or so? Ridiculous!) but I'm really glad that they'll be able to finish the story eventually. I hated the ending of Dreamfall because it was so inconclusive. Maybe now we'll finally see what it all means.

Oh, and let's hope they remove the dreadful combat and action sequences from these episodes.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Hopefully the episodic delivery will be based more on the Sam&Max model, which has been one episode a month over six months.

What's Sam & Max?

As to the topic of the thread. Yes! And by "Yes!" I mean AWESOME.

Of course, I have no interest, as of yet, for a TLJ MMO.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Interesting, more content for one of my favorite adventure game series. Online-only content is okay, so long as they allow me to pay with something other than a CC, which I no longer use. I can't get online-only content from Bioware because they seem to require CC. So I wait for retail release, or I don't get it at all.

Episodic content doesn't bother me too much because typically there are game engine improvements along the way, and it gives me time to do other things (like upgrade my computer) between releases.

I don't like the idea of episodic content at all. Maybe I'm just biased because the HL2 episodes take ~2 years for each to make, which is a total joke....but well, maybe Funcom can pull it off better. Anyway, a Dreamfall sequel was inevitable, so yeah?! I just wish I had to deal with a good ol' fashioned retail package, a full finished product, not that downloadable nonsense...

Episodic gaming is just a bad idea, kind of like chopping up a full-length film into 10min pieces and releasing it over the course of a year. It's even worse than cutting a game short and point towards a sequel you dont even know if you're going to be able to make; like Funcom did with Dreamfall.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Well, at least it's more Dreamfall. I've only just started the game but it's a nice one, and it's much more episodic-gaming-friendly than most other games, isn't it? I mean, there's not exactly a lot of 'gameplay'.

Good news indeed. I rather enjoyed The Longest Journey.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I think releasing games as episodes is still fairly unfamiliar for most people, including me, so we're not quite sure that the experience will be a positive one. But there's no reason it shouldn't be. I suppose it's like the difference between a movie and six half-hour episodes of a TV series. It will be interesting to play Sam & Max through from start to finish when all episodes have been released, and get a feel for how the game as a whole has been affected by being cut into episodes - whether it works as a single unit at all. Nevertheless, if episodes make adventure games more popular and more commercially viable, I'm all for it. :)

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Episodic content can work ie Sam & Max but its easily screwed up ie Half-Life 2

I hope Dreamfall comes closer to former than latter...

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Making them just takes too long for mere episodes

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

The only way episodic content works is if youve already got the episodes ready, like you do on television. Game development is too complex for you to be able to reliably spit out one episode a month on a set date without seriously compromising the quality

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "