Battlestations: Midway

alanschu

I'm just curious if anyone out there named Llyranor has heard of this game. IGN had a good review, Gamespot not so much. Seems a big issue with the game is the length of the single player game, though both reviews comment about a really fun coop experience. Hopefully it's not "coop" in terms of "coop against other human players" so I figured I'd send the jerk an inquiry.

EDIT: There is a demo which I'll probably get around to playing sometime this evening. I'll post impressions on the game then.

Edited by alanschu

I'm just curious if anyone out there named Llyranor has heard of this game. IGN had a good review, Gamespot not so much. Seems a big issue with the game is the length of the single player game, though both reviews comment about a really fun coop experience. Hopefully it's not "coop" in terms of "coop against other human players" so I figured I'd send the jerk an inquiry.

EDIT: There is a demo which I'll probably get around to playing sometime this evening. I'll post impressions on the game then.

Well... it's popular that's for sure. My store didn't have any copies in the four hours on sunday that I worked there.

People still call us about Wii and dates (which we can't hand out anymore) so :shruggles:

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The devs made Nexus - The Jupiter Incident, an excellent but overlooked space fleet simulation. This game isn't Nexus 2, so it fails by default. Though, actually, I can't say I've looked too much into it, but I haven't really been motivated to do so for suspect design decisions, eg. action components, console versions. Not that there's anything intrinsically wrong with that. The problem in this case is that there are probably better action games out there, and this isn't what I've loved about Nexus. I'd probably have looked more into it if it were more dissimilar to that game. I can enjoy hybrids for their action side of gameplay when I'm not expecting more from the devs. I'm turning into Hades.

Just bloody tell me if I need to download the demo. Heck, maybe I'll get that on the 360.

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Alas, the demo is a multiplayer demo. Since I do not feel like testing out the demo against strange people on the internet, I won't be able to give it a playthrough unless you also want to download it.

If you talk appropriately to Nick, we can make arrangements to gang up on him and kill him. But it's a bit disappointing.

Yo Alan, what's the strategy element in this game, exactly? I've been to the website and it looks like a BF game only bigger...

edited: - Disruptive comment removed -

Edited by Darque

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I'm sure you could have found these yourself...

05.jpg

14.jpg

17.jpg

07.jpg

18.jpg

Got them from the official site.

I've been a bit too quick to jump to conclusions before. This isn't a strategy game from what I've seen. Apparently there's no ground combat whatsoever?

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

You get to go through all sorts of different combat types except the use of ground base units? Wow.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I was wondering about the Battlefield element as well Mr. Elite.

According to the two reviews I read yesterday (CNET and IGN), most of the time in the single player game is actually spent viewing a tactical map and giving out orders (depending on which stage you're at in the single player game, since you start off as a lowly PT boat skipper up to Captain of the USS Yorktown at Midway).

I guess the big difference between the two from a Battlefield perspective is that you have control over AI units.

Here's a shot of some tactical map views:

battlestations-midway-review-20070123033806076.jpg

EDIT: Also, if it's anything like Pacific Storm, you can still watch all the action unfold and give orders despite not being at a map view. Just because it's an action shot, doesn't mean it is an "in unit" shot.

Speaking of Pacific Storm, some people over at the War in the Pacific Forums compared Battlestations to it, but because of Battlestations smaller scope, feel they executed the muliple gameplay elements better.

Edited by alanschu

In the few levels I saw the game is brutal in terms of multitasking. Sometimes you'll get a pair or more ships, then you can either run around with the other ship in tow, or you can let the AI take the ship and have a go.

Another thing on the carrier missions, I think you have unlimited aircraft (or it might be you have a set number you can loose)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.