Name some good review sites

Surreptishus

I'm looking for sites that review a wide range of genres and platforms. I would prefer professional reviewers and also sites that collate reviews from other game sites.

My knowledge is lacking in this area so fellow forumites please list sites that you think give consistent and realistic reviews of games.

Please help as I don't want to rely solely on IGN. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance :p

EDIT: I forgot to add: English only please and thanks for the first one karka :p

Edited by Surreptishus

In my experience, most "professional" reviews sites aren't very good. Whit that in mind, I don't think IGN is worse, than Gamespy, Gamespot, or whatever. But I don't think they're better either.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

There are two big problems with gaming sites in general. First, the writing staff is usually fairly young and typically has no training in writing (at least not at first). This typically leads to their texts being a bit too wordy and lacking somewhat in structure. The only reason they're writing gaming reviews is that they have a good enough computer and play a lot of games. Not necessarily bad criteria, but not exactly good either.

The second problem is that the gaming press is almost completely dependent on the companies who's products they are reviewing. The ads are from gaming companies, they need to get review copies to be in business, and a lot of press events are fully payed for by the gaming industry (including travel expenses). There is a reason AAA titles generally get at least decent scores (or better) regardless of how good they are.

The movie press had the same problem in it's infancy I believe, and hopefully the gaming press will be able to grow up in a similar way.

Anyway, I'd say find a site that have reviews that are detailed. If a reviewer spells out potential problems well enough, you'll usually be able to know whether or not those specific things bothers you as well. If I look at reviews, it's typically at Gamespot. I find that their reviews (if not their scores) are detailed enough to fit my needs and in regards to lesser known games pretty honest.

Although not a professional site, Mobygames is basically IMDB of games. Unfortunately most of the reviews are also on the level of IMDB (however, there are few top reviewers whose reviews are just fun to read), but still it`s the only gaming site that I know that covers almost everything ever created in gaming.

Edited by Winterwolf

Enough with the dancing clown.