Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A New PC

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts

none of which are on my radar at the moment.  i really do restrict my gaming to fantasy crpgs.  occasionally i delve into other things, but not often (i bought, and disliked, both kotors, as well as the fallouts and even planescape).  i am thinking about looking at some of the horror games that are out, however, which have rather steep GPU requirements IIRC. 

any more i only have a few hours each week to game, so i have to pick my battles wisely. :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm, if none of those whet your whistle, then I don't know what would temp you to DX10; surely the fantasy RPG isn't on the bleeding edge of graphics demands.

Still, I would be surprised if you didn't enjoy Alan Wake, and Bioshock is a SF FPS-with-RPG-elements (like System Shock).

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10612 posts
Can any of the Windows gurus out there tell me about the number of processors supported for Windows XP Pro and Windows Vista (whatever similar version) ?

No fun in planning for a monster hardware if you have to run MacOS on it then... or being forced to install Windows Server 2003 in order to play Baldurs Gate :)

Does multicore (i.e. quad core) count as multiple processors for licensing purposes? I.e. if the OS allows two cpus, would that be two physical cpus or one dual core cpu?

taks

taks

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2024 posts

for licensing purposes? I.e. if the OS allows two cpus, would that be two physical cpus or one dual core cpu?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i doubt it. usually it is one user one workstation, even if there are multiple cores running. use linux instead, no licensing issues at all! :)

taks

taks

taks

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2024 posts

Hmmm, if none of those whet your whistle, then I don't know what would temp you to DX10; surely the fantasy RPG isn't on the bleeding edge of graphics demands.

exactly why i'm happy with my 128 MB 6800 with extra pipes turned on...

dragon age will probably be more "cutting edge" than what's out today, but that's over a year out so graphics will be cheaper by then. i've considered FO3, but i wasn't a fan of the first two (only managed a few hours with each) and the bethesda style of rpging is not really to my taste. horror games are the latest thing to pique my interest, and they will require better graphics...

Still, I would be surprised if you didn't enjoy Alan Wake, and Bioshock is a SF FPS-with-RPG-elements (like System Shock).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what is alan wake about?

taks

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 5009 posts

Gamespot: Alan Wake is a psychological action thriller set in the American Northwest. The PC version is exclusive to the Windows Vista operating system.

made by Remedy, the developers of Max Payne..
the Gamespot website and the the official site.

and some screenshots:

Attached Files

Edited by Rosbjerg, 04 January 2007 - 07:31 AM.

taks

taks

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2024 posts
wow. that does look cool. it's like, you actually have to _solve_ a problem rather than just run around and _kill_ your problem! :)

you know what would make a good game? the lost room. sci-fi left the show open to a series, too...

taks

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts
They are also programming Alan Wake to utilize multiple CPU cores: e.g. one for AI and one for weather, amongst the other duties.

taks

taks

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2024 posts
now THAT is a good idea. pathfinding is another threadable operation that should be considered. IIRC, pathfinding in ToEE was a serious detriment to all but the best of rigs. it consumes considerable resources.

taks

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 5009 posts
it's gonna be one of those games where you just stand for most of the time and stare at the enviroment..

and then something bad happens..

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6446 posts

it's gonna be one of those games where you just stand for most of the time and stare at the enviroment..

and then something bad happens..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah but it's going to be liek teh ult1mate graf1><z w#0re environment you stare at :)

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts

now THAT is a good idea.  pathfinding is another threadable operation that should be considered.  IIRC, pathfinding in ToEE was a serious detriment to all but the best of rigs.  it consumes considerable resources.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that is the case; I couldn't remember off the top of my head what they were planning to thread, but pathfinding sounds familiar. :aiee:

taks

taks

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2024 posts
yeah, that's the ticket. somebody needs to break ground with threading.

taks

Diamond

Diamond

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1454 posts

yeah, that's the ticket.  somebody needs to break ground with threading.

taks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Valve.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users