Xbox Video marketplace

Hurlshort

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/marketplace...stv/default.htm

I posted this on the Microsoft forum, but it was generally ignored by rabid fanbois. I figured I'd post it hear and see what y'all think of the Video marketplace.

"I was extremely excited to hear about the video marketplace. It makes the Xbox so much more than a game machine, and has the potential to really engage a new audience. But the current pricing model gives me a headache. I'm not saying all the content should be free, but I'm saying there has to be a better way to make this work. Right now I'm better off paying the cable company and Tivo a monthly fee. The Xbox marketplace needs to be a BETTER alternative if it wants to appeal to a large audience.

1. TV episodes - I should be able to get a decent price on an entire season. $25.00 for a season is not competitive with Blockbuster of Netflix. Many stores sell the boxset of a season for this price, and that doesn't take up a chunk of my precious hard drive space. A 20 minute show costs the same as a 45 minute show.

Recommendation - Throw in some commercials to create revenue. I know it's hard to get people to advertise in a relatively unknown medium, but if they lower the costs, they'll have more folks downloading, and that creates better numbers to show advertisers.

Recommendation 2 - Raise the Xbox Live Gold membership by $5 and make TV shows free for download. Or create another monthly membership category where you pay extra for TV shows. People pay $30 a month for unlimited cable TV. The video marketplace doesn't have nearly as much content, but it does have a customization factor. Most people will not cancel their cable for the Marketplace, but they will probably pay a bit extra per month to access shows when they want. I pay $11.99 a month for my Tivo. That is Microsoft's direct competition. They don't have HD, but the Marketplace does not have everything on TV.

2. Movies - The rental policy is decent. It's much better than Pay Per View and faster than Netflix. I'm not sure why the 24-hour limit after play is in place. Is this a liability issue? Also, exactly why are HD movies more expensive? Does it really cost $2 more in bandwidth? Is it really that much of a business cost for the Marketplace? I think HD is still in the early stages. If you really want to attract HD-TV owners, I think the pricing should be the same across the board. It's about $4.00 for a regular definition movie, and that's a great price range for a rental. It's cheaper than Blockbuster and more convenient.

I also would really like to know exactly why Microsoft went with the current business model. I'm sure they have a good reason, but it seems like it's overcomplicating things for the users. Paying for each individual episode of Beavis and Butthead is not something that a lot of people are willing to do."

Edited by Hurlshot

• 6 months later...

Wow, that is necomancy at it's best. haha Seriously, have you used the service much, Bok?

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!