Volourn's Gothic 3 demo Very Early Impressions

Volourn

Reposted kind of from the Codex. May contain spoilers...

Post #1: Prologue: I played Gothic 2. I can't even remember if I've ever had the chance to play G1. G2 had some good qualities (graphics for the time) and atmopshere being the main two. However, I simply got annoyed and bored by it due to very shoddy controls and various other stuff. I always felt that unlike the ES games that there was potential there for something fun though and the pre release hype has seemed rather cool. Hence, my reasoning to give it another chance with Gothic 3. This is my very early impression of the demo which I have fooled around with for an hour or so.

The Unwelcoming: Trying to get the demo to download on to my computer was annoying, and I had to try three different times before it took. Other than that, easy as pie.

Graphics: Absolutely beautiful. The early area(s) of the game are beautiful. It absolutely CRUSHES NWN2's graphics. No comparison whatsoever. NWN2's graphics are good but many overrate it. G3's are impressive indeed. Character models are thumbs up.

Music/Sound/Voice Overs: The music is very good. About equal to NWN2's thus far though I give the slight edge to NWN2 on that. Sounds seem to be missing for the most part. Voice overs are okayish.

Character Creation: L0LLERZ!

Character Customization/System: Pretty good. Seems to have most of the skills that a RPG should have so that's good. I wish it would have a more robust dialogue skill system though. That's always been lacking in the Gothics. Still.. no real complaints here... except one question I need answering for... how the heck do I use my character points (I think they are called that, can't be sure)? I have 20 points (10 to start + 10 more from levelling up to 2), and I can't seem to use them. Clicking on skills doesn't seem to work; not even basic stuff like strength. I know the game makes use of trainers but does this include stats like strnegth? Do I really need a trainer to raise my strength and other basic skills? WTF? Or is there something very simple I am missing?

Interface: I like it. It's very clean, and easy to use espicially with the quick slots. Absolutely no problems here. The inventory seems solid enough though I'd rather be able to equip items with a right click then get opinions on what to do with said item - ie. repair, drop, equip, etc.) Stores/trading is easy to deal with. Even handled better than NWN2. It even shows how much gold the other person has available. All the different pages from inventory, character, journal (which is a laugh of simplicity), etc. are neato.

Controls: It's alright; but one question... WTH is up with games having sex with the darn WASD? Hate. Hate. Hate. I wannabe able to move with the mouse. Is a simple point and click move system too complex to add? Holy moly do I ever hate WASD. Not everyone is a keyboard monkey. Eh... Despite the rant, the controls are ok. And, they'll likely be no more than okay as long as I have use WASD to play the game.

Combat: Combat seems more intuitive than G2. My biggest beef here is the WASD junk. Combat has been pretty easy for the most part. I got beat up by a wolf; but didn't die for some reason... I can see why people think knockdown is lame. LOL It took awhile to overcome that and beat down the wolf. The orcs in the village were easy to beat up on.

Story/Atmopshere: Opening cutscene was cool. I thought you'd get a choice of who to side with but right away I was forced to attack orcs beating up some humans (humans were untargetable, and orcs were autohostile). I'm sure the choice to side with either will open up; but it seems silly that the game's biggest choice is obviously slanted to one side from the get go. The humans are on your side so why the heck would anyone betray them for hostile orcs? L0LLERZ! Still, the rebel camp was nice, and impressive. Gotta try the arena. Got a ton of quests there as well, and include beating up a pack of aggresive wild boars... which is funny.. my only full death came from that.. not, because of ther boars themselves... I turned a corner and saw 4 boars who cased me. WTH? How is a 4th level character going to kill 4 of those.. so I did the dumb thing.. I backed up trying to escape fighting the stupid WASD buttons and 'decided' to jump down the mountain into the rebel camp and splatted half INTO the ground. heh. I'm sure I'll get the kinks worked out; but still those boars were very close to the rebel camp. R00fles! I hope I can find some magic soon. I got 3 scrolls though. Should be able to learn from those.

Overall: the game looks to be pretty fun as long as I can overcome the evil WASD. We shall see as it is early... Cool beans.

Post #2 (this includes an update on my game thus far plus answer to replies to my first post):

The choice should have been up to the player right away. perhaps, they could have the orcs ignore the player until he makes a hostile move towards them. You can have the PC's friends yell at him to'attack them filthy orcs'; and he has always can ignore them or not. But, in the long run, it's no big deal. I'm only effected by it because of all the hype of choose your side - orc or human! Heh.

Anyways,...

An update....

I've played a few more hours of the demo. For those who care, that's actually longer than I could stand G2 which lasted only a couple of hours. That's already a good sign.

Some stuff...

1. I'm now got the bartering for training and what not down so no problems there. I've been focusing on increasing my strength and anceint knowledge mostly. Gonna concentrate on sword and shield style, weapon/armoursmithing, and 'holy spells' ala healing mostly. Liking the character system so far. I'm level 4 needing maybe 250xp to reach 5.

2. I like how you have to buy the world map. I was gonna complaina bout their being no actual map screen but then I saw a map for sale. Heh. Are there more area based maps or is it only the world map? it be cool if there was multiple ones.

3. Combat is rather easy one one one since it's basically a click fest. Just click really fast sometimes alternating between right and left and you should be fine in solo battle unless someone sneaks a kd on ya. Multiple enemies can be trickier, of course, espicially for me since I'm not a big WASD fan.

4.AI can be peculiar. Good parts are that those that can will swtich from melee to missle (mainly orcs thus far) and groups will tend to stay together though you *can* split them a part. Bad parts are is that their movements are staggered and often things stand still like the AI is thinking of the next move.

5. Got my man Copper as a companion. Too bad he seems useless in a fight, and he often gets stuck on things espicially friendlies in town then he does a little jig trying desperately pass them. I wish if they are gonna have joinables that they give us more options on telling them what to do.. and exchange equipment (outside of feeding them potions). Unless I missed that of course.

6. Cause and effect is ok. It's cool to see the rebels come to guard the village; but it's too bad most of the rebels and freed slaves in the town are still big 'ol jerks to me despite my helping them espicially the asanine one liners. LOL

7. The game's (well.. demo's) performance is thus far very well. Veyr few slow downs and no crashes. Load times are rather slow, and it's made worse by the fact that every time you save you have to completely reload the game you were actually just playing. Can't I just save and actually still play right from there? Geez... the regular game better fix that.

8. Overall, it is fun; but it's FAR from perfect. Definitely an improvement over the earlier Gothic(s), imo.

9. Graphics are still awesome.

Enjoy. :aiee:

Or not. :wacko:

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I hated Gothic 2 and Gothic 3 looks like more of the same. No thank you.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I hated Gothic 2 and Gothic 3 looks like more of the same.  No thank you.

this might be the hundreth time i read this same post. nice going :)

on topiv, i'll never be abled to run this game. not that i mind, i dont really like FPRPG's.

Unless they did a MAJOR change, Gothic has always been Third Person. :shifty:

this might be the hundreth time i read this same post. nice going  :)

on topiv, i'll never be abled to run this game. not that i mind, i dont really like FPRPG's.

I hated Gothic 2 and Gothic 3 looks like more of the same. No thank you.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

I hated Gothic 2 and Gothic 3 looks like more of the same.  No thank you.

this might be the hundreth time i read this same post. nice going :)

Unless they did a MAJOR change, Gothic has always been Third Person. :shifty:

err, i mean RPG's with only WASD-movement, be it first or third person. don't like stat based twitch combat.

Gothic 3 can, technically, be played in first person. However, doing so requires a fairly strong machochistic streak in the gamer. It's clunky and awkward and the second you interact with anything that isn't a hostile, you get sent back inte third person and have to zoom back. So it's certainly not adviced.

I wish Sand would go back to using Judge Hades.  I always knew what to expect when I saw that little portrait.  Sand doesn't stand out as much and occassionally I forget it's actually Hades.

This is only his billionth account at any rate. I remember only a handful of them, but the one he started with, I think, was "Visceris" - and that's how I refer to him.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

Ah geeze people. What is wrong having a little bit of fun. I haven't had a billion alts yet. I am still under ten different names. As for going back to Judge Hades I can't. That account has been deleted and good riddance. Frankly, I hope I have reached my goal of not being such an ass towards people. I think I have improved some. Of course trolling one of Volourn's threads don't help my case any.

*runs and hides*

Edited by Sand

You say that everytime with a new alt. That you're gonna turn a new leaf and never be the same again.

And we've seen how well that has worked in the past, eh?

What really was ridiculous was your effort to try to deny yourself. I grant you that not everyone imediately saw through your new identity(me included), but your opinions and hadesism never change, so why bother with the alts?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

This time it is working. Now back to Gothic 3. Um...

Why don't you guys go back to Gothic 3 now?

If you want to discuss this further, lets take it to PM, okay.

Edited by Sand

Hint: Be less like a total dimwit and people won't bother with this kind of discussion.

Now, back to G3.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I've played G3 for a few minutes and my impression is generally favorable, but I can't say more until I've played it some more.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

Hint: Be less like a total dimwit and people won't bother with this kind of discussion.

Point. :)

Now, back to G3.

So, has there been any patches for the US release or where they able to make a fresh fixed version on the US discs? Has it been released in the US yet?

:blink:

Edited by Sand

"I read that G3 was extremely buggy."

Can't speak for the actual game; but the demo is not buggy for me.

"Is the combat scheme the same as in the previous games in the series?"

I played G2 for a couple of hours, and G3's combat feels better. It's definitely about quick reflexes. That's the big thing about G3 combat. Stats, other than health, don't seem to be all that important thus far.

"Is the first chapter overly loooooong with a quest that involves finding herbs in the wilderness?"

I don't think ikt has chapters. Outside of the first battle, you pretty much can go where you want. There's been one quest that involves herb finding and it took less than 5 minutes. Lots of other quests though the majority are find x or kill y.

I don't think G3 will be considered one of my top 10 games or whatever; but it's pretty fun. I definitely find it more worthwhile or playable than its predecessors.

:joy: :joy: :joy:

Stats is mainly, how much damage you deal once you DO hit, I think. I noticed a big jump when I got 150 strength and got the Swordsman upgrade.

The first few 'areas' are pretty fun. I mean, there are some "Find 10 things for me" quests, but you can motsly ignore them. And usually they ask for things you should already have if you're someone that looks for things as you walk along.

Gothic 3 is fun to play, but the formula is repetitive and I don't hold high hopes for the plot, so I quit after 10-15 hours and I probably won't get back to it for a while, what with NWN2 and MTW2. I had seen 5 cities and they were similarly 'questhubs' with no real life.

It's a fun game, but definitely not without issues. It runs like crap on my computer (which is in the bottom part of medium end machines), it's only playable with basically everything set to minimum. This does not lead to a visually stunning game. Although the latest patch is said to improve performance so maybe it's better now.

I can run NWN2 with medium-high settings without a problem for reference.

Apart from the bad performance, the game isn't that buggy I don't think. Sure, there are some bugs (like the character not getting certain, or at least one, skills after they've been trained) but nothing really that major. Also, anyone complaining about NWN2 load times had better stay far away from this game.

But once you get into it it's pretty fun, if a bit repetetive. It's basically go to a town, do all the quests, decide whether to kill rebels or orcs (or hashishin or nomads), then wash, rince, repeat. But the gameplay is still fun and there is some variety at times. So I'd say give the demo a shot and if it's to your liking, then consider getting the game.

You know what is funny?

I'm no fan of WASD as my initial post here shows; but that isn't my biggest beef about the G3 demo beleive it or not.

It is how it handles loading and saving. Every time you save your game you have to completely reload your save game to start playing. Inofitself that be annoying but norrible; but as mentioned by Spider, the load times are really slow. This is such a horrid feature it make not feel up to playing the game more than a bit of the time as I'm an avid saver and this ruins my 'immersion' (whatever that is, lol) so I can't get into the game as much.

Thankfully, i've been informed that the atcual Gothic 3 game has a load/save system like your typical game where you can save and continue playing. If it didn't, I 'd ahve to do... really bad things.

R00fles!

Edited by Volourn

How would you move with the mouse with Gothic's low angle? Same with KOTOR?

Every time you save your game you have to completely reload your save game to start playing. I

Are you using quicksave or going into the menu to save? I use the former, and wh ile saving takes quite a while it doesn't take THAT long. Maybe that's the reason?

Still, the load times *are* horrible. I have my guitar with me in the room, and I can usually play a song on it while Gothic loads at startup. :lol: