NWN2: Toolset Creations

Oerwinde

Just taken my first look at the NWN2 toolset, it is impressive... Nice to see that the 2DA edit is in there (something I suggested when Obsidian first announced NWN2, but I doubt it came from that suggestion - it was basic common sense).

The Particle Editor is perhaps the most comprehensive particle editor I have ever seen in such a package.

Not much else to say still searching around, but those two things really stood out.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

I don't own NWN2 yet, so I had no clue what content the manual has.

I do have some art skills, so creating terrain, normal maps and art assets (if Maya is supported?) should be no problem. I'm more inclined to know how the scripting stuff works. On which language is it based? Does it lend more towards Java/C++, or is it simplified?

Iirc, Maya isn't supported. I have a faint memory of someone saying that 3DStudio Max may get support through a plugin or somesuch in the future, but I can't say for sure.

According to the manual (the one in the documentations folder, not the actual manual) it's C-based.

I don't own NWN2 yet, so I had no clue what content the manual has.

I do have some art skills, so creating terrain, normal maps and art assets (if Maya is supported?) should be no problem. I'm more inclined to know how the scripting stuff works. On which language is it based? Does it lend more towards Java/C++, or is it simplified?

Iirc, Maya isn't supported. I have a faint memory of someone saying that 3DStudio Max may get support through a plugin or somesuch in the future, but I can't say for sure.

According to the manual (the one in the documentations folder, not the actual manual) it's C-based.

Well I think since Obsidian used 3ds max, it's a no-brainer. I read sometime ago the toolset doesn't support skinned (i.e. animated) models, is that right? No chance to create custom animations?

Btw, I could maybe always export the art into Gmax (it's still for free I presume?) and then bring it from there into the toolset via plugin, if Gmax can read the plugin that is.

Edited by Morgoth

I read sometime ago the toolset doesn't support skinned (i.e. animated) models, is that right? No chance to create custom animations?

I believe the animations use some other engine or something. Granny I believe. I read somewhere that someone emailed the people who own Granny and asked about an export plugin so they could do custom animations for NWN2, and they said that while they have no problem with a plugin being created, the responsibility for that would lie with the developers, since it would have to be customized to fit with the NWN2 engine.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

So I've made some progress. through testing I remembered that you can't actually use all the area you can build in, so I had been working away at this huge map, but could only walk around in about half of it, so I went back and retooled a bunch and organized it. The city will eventually be 3 maps, this is the central city which will contain the east and west gates, the castle district, and the market isle. The north gate slums will be the next part I work on when this is finished being built, then the docks after that.

post-296-1163382727_thumb.jpg

Heres the castle district. The texture work is nearly done, I just need to add some more props to make it more detailed. This is where the city watch is housed, as well as temples to Lumen and Atra, as well as the homes of the nobility.

post-296-1163382742_thumb.jpg

Here is the Spellsword Citadel along with the East Gate Glade. Still a lot of work to go in here. This will be where the city cemetary is. This shot is facing north, the cemetary will be on the south side of the road.

post-296-1163382761_thumb.jpg

Market Isle and temple of Aetas the Father, this is where most of the shops are, as well as a large open air market. Its situated in the mouth of the Reim river.

post-296-1163382770_thumb.jpg

This is the west gate. This is what I'm currently working on. West Gate is the main middle class neighborhood along with the docks district. This shot is facing south towards the docks.

Devastatorsig.jpg

nice, but the central city South-West has no walls around it, I suggest to make it fully defended on all sides to make a more real feel to it :thumbsup:

Yeah, I just have the gates placed on each one. I'll add the walls later. They don't take very long.

Devastatorsig.jpg

nice, but the central city South-West has no walls around it, I suggest to make it fully defended on all sides to make a more real feel to it :huh:

Yeah, I just have the gates placed on each one. I'll add the walls later. They don't take very long.

umm...can you maybe create a monastery similar to the city on my sig? :thumbsup:

IB1OsQq.png

Oh well, since I'm sitting here in a toolset thread: Could you hardcore NWN-modders tell uncle Morgoth what a 2DA and a Hakpak is? Since those are the most common terms I've heard in the last 4 years of NWN's modding lifetime.... :D

2DA is part of managing resources and settings, they used to be external text files, but now can be worked with inside the engine.

Hakpaks, they usually contain content, such as models.

Also on another note, Granny is tool made by the folks that made the Bink compression, I'm shocked to think that any company would need to use granny, but then again there are lots of things under the NWN2 hood that shock me or strike me as bad decisions, thankfully they don't impact the game badly enough as to spoil it.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

Those screens look great Oerwinde! Although you should check out the UVs of the terrain, it looks like they're over-stretching a little bit. Also make sure to keep the vegetation realistic. I.e. the grass shouldn't flow in some strange patterns on the top of the hill, then vanish again.

I know within the UnrealEditor I could place a TerrainActor, specify some properties and then use several layers of textures, with alpha channels to determine where grass should be applied and where not. Is that also possible within NWN2?

Those screens look great Oerwinde! Although you should check out the UVs of the terrain, it looks like they're over-stretching a little bit. Also make sure to keep the vegetation realistic. I.e. the grass shouldn't flow in some strange patterns on the top of the hill, then vanish again.

I know within the UnrealEditor I could place a TerrainActor, specify some properties and then use several layers of textures, with alpha channels to determine where grass should be applied and where not. Is that also possible within NWN2?

I'm guessing you're talking about the cliff face with the texture stretching. I don't know how to avoid it while getting the sheer cliff I want. With hills that aren't so steep I can get it to look nicer, but then I lose the steep drop effect. With the grass, its just a paint tool, both for the base texture, and the actual 3d grass tufts.

If you want, you can edit the pics with some arrows and text and stuff if you want to show me how to improve some stuff. I went to art school so criticism is welcome.

Devastatorsig.jpg

"Some modders get together at their own message boards, not just Biowares site."

OMGZ! No way! My post must have claimed something I didn't. Of course, chances are the BIO baords would provide a bunch of links to these other mysterious sites. :thumbsup:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Some modders get together at their own message boards, not just Biowares site."

OMGZ! No way! My post must have claimed something I didn't. Of course, chances are the BIO baords would provide a bunch of links to these other mysterious sites. :sorcerer:

:crazy:

Oh?

:thumbsup::brows:

Another reason why I would not consider modding is you can't add new quests or customs made stuff into the original story. Making your own new module takes to long. I'd rather stick to something simple like making a new quest or a new joinable npc.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

I don't. I'm asking YOU. I know you cna do it for NWN1 OCs (after you unlock them either by playing or using magic of entering game code). Is it now impossible for NWN2 OC?

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.