Revan is now truly officially a guy...

It says so in this book. And the author of that book wrote the storyline for KOTOR.

BOOYAH!

So? Who cares? What's your point? Revan is whoever you want him/her to be (when it comes to the games anyway). This is not going to stop people from having their 'official' Revan as either a male who chooses the DS ending, a female who chooses the DS ending or a female who chooses the LS ending now is it?

:ermm:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I've played through KOTOR as both male and female Revan and, I have to say, female Revan works just fine....probably a little better than female Exile.  In fact, I believe David G. originally conceptualized Revan as female.

But Revan, of course, if a generic, cookie-cutter, unisex name, much like Jaden Korr is in Jedi Academy.  And we need to get away from that.  Instead of having weak names and bickering over whether that person is this or that, we need to have fixed surnames....as I've said before, the games should be written with the EU continuity in mind and that is best served if the PC's mentor, not the PC himself, gets most of the credit for what happened.

"Jedi Knight Bastila Shan and her Padawan Stargazer set off to save....".  Who is Padawan Stargazer?  Anybody you want, (even non-human if you want).

I think that is much better than a unisex name (like Jaden) or a placeholder name (like Exile).  People need names and surnames do the job just fine, while still allowing for a bit of flexibility.

Now, having said all that, I don't think Revan is a given name.  Revan is the man's Darth name.....MARK MY WORDS, BOY!  MARK THEM WELL!  YOU CAN FRET ALL YOU LIKE BUT YOU CANNOT DENY DESTINY!!!

Fixed surnames is the route that Bioware is using in there Mass Effect game. You can have Mary, June, Bob, Steve, Xylor, Feces, Quinn, Harris, but your last name will be Shephard, and you will be a commander.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Fixed surnames is the route that Bioware is using in there Mass Effect game.  You can have Mary, June, Bob, Steve, Xylor, Feces, Quinn, Harris, but your last name will be Shephard, and you will be a commander.

I am soooo looking forward to that game. That will quench my KOTOR thirst for a good while, I suspect.

I'm glad they are using the fixed surname concept. If you think about it, it is really the best way to allow the same protagonist to complete an entire trilogy of games.

Can't think of anything strange around Revan's gender, although it is a bit hard to conceive of K1 PC as being male. Thought he was easier to conceptualise as a female, though.

Now, having said all that, I don't think Revan is a given name. Revan is the man's Darth name.....MARK MY WORDS, BOY! MARK THEM WELL! YOU CAN FRET ALL YOU LIKE BUT YOU CANNOT DENY DESTINY!!!

"Revan had many masters, Zhar, Dorak, Master Kae before Kae left for the Wars. Towards the end of his training, he sought out many to learn techniques. It is said that he returned to his first master at the end of his training, in order to learn how he might best leave the order."

Bankai - "Zabimaru Howl !"

Dude, I understand the other position. BioWare folk are not EU canon lawyers and they gave us a game in which Revan was used in a way that might suggest it was a given name AND "Darth Revan" was also used by the Jedi elders in that game.

Either way, we have a continuity shift. The Sith do not normally use their given names as their "Darth" names. Hence, it would actually be better for continuity if Revan and Malak were not their given names as well as their Darth names.

Sure, it would amount to some creative retrofitting, but would do less violence to EU continuity.

They will do what they will do. I am only advancing my theory as to what they might do.

Well, only if it includes voice over.

It's really easy to do it with whatever name you want if voice overs aren't included.

Well, it becomes a bit more complicated with a franchise like Star Wars because "all Star Wars is continuity". In other words, for those who follow the EU, Revan has to be a guy or a girl, LS or DS, married or unmarried, etc. Same with Exile. Exile is a "placeholder name" that doesn't really help much with the person's identity when it gets right down to it...it just delays the inevitable (hard-coding).

The reasons why KOTOR cannot be a proper trilogy are a bit more complicated than whether the protagonist has a fixed given name, etc. The main reason is that KOTOR simply wasn't paced for it. At the end of the game, the protagonist was, essentially, a god and, while there may have been a little room left for more story, there was no discernable threat and no clear path for the protagonist after that. BioWare and LA were winging it and had no idea what to expect.

I think BioWare noticed the angst that this caused and I think that is part of the reason ME is being planned as a proper trilogy (even though each game will have enough closure on its own).

But even in KOTOR (which is full VO except for the PC's statements), they could only use your "revealed name" with full VO. The name you gave yourself was only used one time and that is when the Wookie pledged a Lifedebt to you....he did it in his own tongue....that is the only way it could work. With a title (or rank) and a fixed surname, even something like this is not a problem.

But even in KOTOR (which is full VO except for the PC's statements), they could only use your "revealed name" with full VO. The name you gave yourself was only used one time and that is when the Wookie pledged a Lifedebt to you....he did it in his own tongue....that is the only way it could work. With a title (or rank) and a fixed surname, even something like this is not a problem.

I'm well aware of this.

It existed in Baldur's Gate 2 as well.

The reasons why KOTOR cannot be a proper trilogy are a bit more complicated than whether the protagonist has a fixed given name

You were the one that commented about the name and how it made it easier to do the trilogy, not me.

I think BioWare noticed the angst that this caused and I think that is part of the reason ME is being planned as a proper trilogy (even though each game will have enough closure on its own).

Maybe, maybe not. Because, as I said, the issue still existed even in Baldur's Gate 2.

this is what I said:

"I'm glad they are using the fixed surname concept. If you think about it, it is really the best way to allow the same protagonist to complete an entire trilogy of games."

OK, then someone comes along with all kinds of lawyering and I'm still not sure what the point is. I stand by my original statement.