HP buys VoodooPC

metadigital

Putting its boardroom woes to one side, HP has announced that it has bought VoodooPC, the manufacturer high-performance and customised gaming computer systems.

The move echoes a similar acquisition by arch rival Dell who bought games machine builder Alienware earlier this year.

VoodooPC was founded in 1991 and based in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. The company has made a name for itself in building leading-edge - albeit expensive - gaming and customised PCs for the enthusiast market. However, as with the Dell acquisition, there are bound to be howls from the fan base accusing the company of selling out to one of the majors.

Mindful of this, HP will be mirroring Dell's strategy with Alienware. The IT giant will form a separate business unit within its Personal Systems Group focused on the gaming industry. The company expects to maintain VoodooPC's current distribution model and brand name along with its marketing, sales, support and development operations. VoodooPC's former owners Rahul and Ravi Sood become chief technologist and director of strategy and marketing respectively.

The acquisition is expected to be finalised by November. The terms of the deal were not disclosed.

clickie

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

TGDaily

I enjoyed this article on the acquisition. I found it challenging, but in the end I do not think if HP tries to keep VodooPC high-end that it will maintain its current clienetele. Dell and Alienware made sense, as Alienware was also about balancing quality and quantity. HP does not seem to have the love/hate relationship that Dell has. I do wonder if rebranding VodooPC to go head-head with Alienware is the ultimate goal ...

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Maybe the little people like the big money

That's always been my thought. And sometimes, the little people believe they can have the big money while still remaining like little people in value and production. Occasionally it's even true.

Anyway...mergers and buyouts are the way of business life these days. It'll be interesting to see how this one pans out.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts