Adventures in Game Buying

Judge Hades

Ah, the art of game buying and making a purchase that you will want to have a home in your library can be a trying ordeal.  <_<  Sometime, not so.  :devil:  I went to the mall looking for a game that could tie me over till the release of Neverwinter Nights 2.  :ph34r:  I have grown tired of Oblivion, and well playing Neverwinter Nights 1. :ermm: I am sick and tired of the Infinity Engine games, which I never thought I would ever say. :'(  The Fallouts have lost their charm after playing them up to the triple digits.  :o

It was time to buy a new game.  >_<

So I went to the Gamestop at my local mall.  I Looked over the miniscule remains of the PC section and saw Mage Knight:  Apocalypse.  :huh:  The Clix game was interesting enough so I bought it and brought it home.  :shifty:  Installation went by without a care but six disks is downright ridiculous.  :o

Note to Publishers and developers:  If you are going to make a game that needs more than 4 discs to install, put it on a bloody DVD.  Otherwise you are just being annoying.  :ermm:

Anyhoots I load up the game and the autopatcher kicks in.  Once pathed the beginning movie sequences start and I get to the game menu.  I hit single player game and...  CTD.  :o  Okay, I load it up again and...  CTD.  :blink:  I check to make sure I had the latest drivers, installed one, and... CTD.  :(  I got fairly annoyed by this.  I even look for a game protection fix or a NO CD .exe.    :ninja:  None available so I packed up the game and went to the bus stop.  :(

I went back to the cashier, a lovely woman if I must say, and explained my problem.  :'(  Well, for some odd reason she must have liked me and said I could return it and get a different game or my money back.  :wub:  Well, I went over to the miniscule PC section and looked it over and saw a game that a few of my friends enjoyed though it isn't part of a genre I prefer but it was on DVD, in fact it had 2 of them.  I have in my possession Call of Duty 1, its expansion, and Call of Duty 2.    (w00t)

I think I will be setting the difficulty at the easiest level.    :shifty:

the return was store policy. they had to accept it

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I don't like to order online unless I need to.  So far CoD is pretty fun.  Dying a lot so far but its fun to kill Nazis.  I only wish I could get into third person view.

You're going to like CoD:UO the most, or atleast most people do.

I miss arty strikes and LMG's

Ah, DVDs.

*caresses Dreamfall dvd* :p

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Anyway try Dungeon Keeper 1 and 2 when you can.

(w00t)

...if you can still buy the first one, I'm not sure.

That single post contained 20 smiley's.

First thing I noticed when I opened the thread. I was almost blinded by the yellow. :)

I have in my possession Call of Duty 1, its expansion, and Call of Duty 2.    (w00t)

I think I will be setting the difficulty at the easiest level.    :p

Heh, that's what I always do at first, till I get a feel for the game at least. I'm terrible with game-guns. :D I also enjoyed your description of the 'miniscule PC section.' That's so true. It makes me sad. :(

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Consider yourself lucky though, some places don't do returns.

I'm not so sure. I imagine your mileage may vary, but I don't find it very hard to get a refund, or at the very least store credit (which might as well be a refund, because I'm just going to use it to get another game), even for computer games.

I have actually been able to successfully return a computer game a few hours later simply because I told them I thought the game was crap (the store was Future Shop).

I think it just depends on who's behind the counter, and what kind of mood they're in. :(

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Official policy at my EB Games according to everyone I've talked to is no returns on PC games.

They even go so far as to ask every customer buying a PC game if they've checked the system requirements so they aren't upset when they can't get a return because it doesn't work.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

Official policy at my EB Games according to everyone I've talked to is no returns on PC games. 

They even go so far as to ask every customer buying a PC game if they've checked the system requirements so they aren't upset when they can't get a return because it doesn't work.

Different stores may have different policies. :p

if it flat out doesn't work due to being a defective product, they have to accept a return or they leave themselves open to a lawsuit. But they don't like taking returns on PC games because people could buy a game put it on their comp, crack it, and return it inside a day.

I wonder if they allow it more now, because it's more well known that it's not as difficult to do that with consoles anymore (not sure about the 360 though).

well have you ever seen your average Console gamer with a cracked ps2 or Xbox?

I wonder if they allow it more now, because it's more well known that it's not as difficult to do that with consoles anymore (not sure about the 360 though).

well have you ever seen your average Console gamer with a cracked ps2 or Xbox?

Half the high school kids I worked with at Boston Pizza had their XBOX modded, and the other half were being pressured into doing it. My cousin did as well.

I don't know many people that had a PS2.

The thing I noticed is all it takes is one person to get "free games." The effect cascades a bit among friends.