California sues car companies over global warming

Balthamael

I believe that the human arrogance also helps us feel we have a complete understanding of our Biosphere to claim that there is only a 1% chance of the phenomenon being natural.

I believe it is arrogant to assume that you can do whatever you want without consequence. It's all swings and roundabouts isn't it.

Dirty deeds done cheap.

I was not interested in the rather repetitive talks about climate change, but your claims about:

"Britain has been taking records of the weather patterns since 1659. Studies of it have shown that the increase in the temperature has less than a one percent chance of occuring naturally. The temperature in central Britain has risen by a degree in the last forty years alone.

350 years of continuous records are hard to argue convincingly against."

Only the last link really made any comments about long term temperature change, but it was only talking about data that was readily available because of satellite information.

As an aside, the global dimming one is rather interesting.  If we were receiving less solar radiation, that would have a negative impact on "global warming."  Unless we assume that the air pollution is a significantly large block for the natural radiation of the Earth, that it makes up for the decrease in solar radiation.

So very sorry, I did say I didn't have much time. Sorry to bore you. Try reading this one.

Climate change

Dirty deeds done cheap.

and this entire conversation goes strait over my head... to many different conversations taking place with too many stats.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I believe it is arrogant to assume that you can do whatever you want without consequence. It's all swings and roundabouts isn't it.

false premise. you assume something that is not true. we don't think we can do what we want without consequence. we think we don't know what our impact nor the consequences are. we would like to know what the impact of what we do is before rushing to conclusions about the potential consequences.

oh, and btw, climate change is not equal to global warming. the climate always changes.

taks

Edited by taks

comrade taks... just because.

I believe that the human arrogance also helps us feel we have a complete understanding of our Biosphere to claim that there is only a 1% chance of the phenomenon being natural.

I don't assume that I can do whatever I want without consequence. I'm not going to assume that our influence on the world is so unbelievably extreme compared to the 4.5 billion history of the planet.

the mountains in colorado just got done breaking record lows, btw. snow in colorado springs and monument (just north) rarely happens before late october. except yesterday.

too bad we don't see these occurrences in the news.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

You pruned the link. It took me a while to dig it up, if you have it in some archive thread I would be grateful if you could return it.

Also, I don't think my comments were particularly out of order. Except maybe the first sentence :-

clickie

Edited by metadigital

Dirty deeds done cheap.

Something I came across today.

Thought it might be of interest.

I notice the link I provided has been restored in the above post, too. All the data you could ever hope for. Thanks metadigital.

Here is the direct link to the Central England index, which has been running since 1659. I place it here as it may be hard to find from teh link in the previous post, which deals with more recent, but global data.

Edited by Kroney

Dirty deeds done cheap.

Why on Earth would you think that?

If you'd prefer, we could go back and forth repeating our points until the cows come home, but I figured on saving the moderators the hassle of any further examination of this thread.

I provided you with the information you were asking for. After all the "hassle" we've gone through you could at least have a look and give me your thoughts. That is, if you haven't already made up your mind that you're not going to believe anything I've said.

You wanted raw data and now you have it.

Dirty deeds done cheap.

We've both made up our minds that we aren't going to believe anything the other person says.

Never mind the fact that you were arrogant enough to claim "victory" a mere 8 minutes after your latest post.

As for you giving me the link, thanks I guess. I didn't ask for it with any intent to pick it apart or anything, but to just look at it. Yes I did want the raw data. Sorry if you were expecting me to comment on it, that wasn't my intention. My intentions were purely to acquire information.

As for your most recent link, something I noticed:

Actually, an impending ice age may not be that inaccurate. With rising temperatures comes melting of the polar ice caps, with that comes huge amounts of cold, fresh water being dumped into the oceans. Net result, the oceans cool, the Gulf Stream cools, and the surface area of ocean increases. Water reflects heat, land absorbs it. So more heat is reflected away from Earth, whilst the warming influence of the Gulf Stream is removed and the overall temperature of two thirds of the Earth's surface drops.

This study notes that the greatest warming is occurring at high latitudes of the Northern Hemisphere. Here, white, snow-covered terrain acts a giant reflector that bounces incoming solar radiation back into space. As the snow cover melts, the percentage of sunlight reflected, or "albedo", decreases. Instead, the darker ocean and exposed ground can absorb the light and heat-up, thus adding more energy for continued melting
Edited by alanschu

We've both made up our minds that we aren't going to believe anything the other person says.

Never mind the fact that you were arrogant enough to claim "victory" a mere 8 minutes after your latest post.

Eight minutes? No. It was on the second page. 24 hours more like. Board times are often wrong. This board doesn't seem to get numbers right very often at all, in fact. Post counts, for example.

I would be more willing to believe you were it not for all the data flaoting around on the net that says you're wrong. I've yet to see any credible information on the scale of the links I've provided that in any way disproves the increasing concerns the scientific community have.

As for you giving me the link, thanks I guess.  I didn't ask for it with any intent to pick it apart or anything, but to just look at it.  Yes I did want the raw data.  Sorry if you were expecting me to comment on it, that wasn't my intention.  My intentions were purely to acquire information.

Suit yourself.

As for your most recent link, something I noticed:

Actually, an impending ice age may not be that inaccurate. With rising temperatures comes melting of the polar ice caps, with that comes huge amounts of cold, fresh water being dumped into the oceans. Net result, the oceans cool, the Gulf Stream cools, and the surface area of ocean increases. Water reflects heat, land absorbs it. So more heat is reflected away from Earth, whilst the warming influence of the Gulf Stream is removed and the overall temperature of two thirds of the Earth's surface drops.

This study notes that the greatest warming is occurring at high latitudes of the Northern Hemisphere. Here, white, snow-covered terrain acts a giant reflector that bounces incoming solar radiation back into space. As the snow cover melts, the percentage of sunlight reflected, or "albedo", decreases. Instead, the darker ocean and exposed ground can absorb the light and heat-up, thus adding more energy for continued melting

Uh oh, I made a mistake. Clearly the Earth isn't subject to global warming then. Hooray, we're all saved. etc

Edited by Kroney

Dirty deeds done cheap.