Unkillable enemies discussion

Judge Hades

That should just tell you that very few game developers have actually been in real combat situations.

I think that those devs who choose to visit their own message boards have seen plenty of combat! :rolleyes:

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

That should just tell you that very few game developers have actually been in real combat situations.

What the hell does "real combat situations" have to do with anything?

It's a video game! I'm pretty sure that id Software had to make some suppositions with the Quake boss, since they hadn't ever fought a demon in a pit of lava that throws fireballs at you. I'm quite certain that "real combat situation" experiences wouldn't help much when fighting a fictional werewolf.

since they hadn't ever fought a demon in a pit of lava that throws fireballs at you. 

:rolleyes:

I feel so foolish now. :">

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

What the hell does "real combat situations" have to do with anything?

It give you a basis to work from. In a full blown fire fight and intense combat situation when a person's life is at stake will go out an d about thinking that this is some sort of puzzle. It isn't. You have two options. Fight or flight. That is it. In most cases a person will not be thinking all that clearly either so trying to put a puzzle in the middle of combat is stupid in a poor design gimmick.

I'm also pretty sure that real combat situations don't involve people moving one at a time, waiting for everyone else to stop moving and stand still while opponents shoot at them.

Gee, when did Bloodlines or Quake become turn based? :rolleyes:

You know, you guys simply do not get it because instead of seeing it through the eyes of your character you are seeing it through the eyes of the player. I am through with this argument.

Edited by Judge Hades

Actually, "real combat situations" at one point did involve invulnerable targets.

They were called castles and city walls.

In response, they generals on the other side said "Hmmm, this is a puzzle!" And they built siege weapons.

I'm also pretty sure that real combat situations don't involve people moving one at a time, waiting for everyone else to stop moving and stand still while opponents shoot at them.

Gee, when did Bllodlines or Quake become turn based? :rolleyes:

You know, you guys simply do not get it because instead of seeing it through the eyes of your character you are seeing it through the eyes of the player. I am through with this argument.

The same time they involved "real combat situations."

What are you talking about? Seeing it through the eyes of the player would have resulted in you not trying to attack the werewolf, based on Nines telling you it was futile. Or, if you did, you died. Instead you opted to metagame based on your previous experience with the rules.

Edited by alanschu

All i'm saying is that applying logic to computer games is silly.

SILLY

haha, I don't have a face.

I meant, a bench. I don't have a bench face, youre the one with the bench face, and i'm going to press your sister, rawr, with warewolves.

Edited by Nick_i_am

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

@ Hades; play some other videogames.

It is pretty common throughout games using first person perspective.

Usually it is done for VARIATION; as mindless shooting everything can be fun; if it is all you do (even in a game promoted for that) it bores quickly.

Bring in the levelbosses!

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

The ideal solution, of course, is to provide options. Allowing for environmental puzzles all while making the enemies defeatable - though at a challenge level where it wouldn't make a difference to Hades whether they were invincible or not.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

@ Hades; play some other videogames.

It is pretty common throughout games using first person perspective.

Well, paralleling the consequence debate in the Oblivion thread, just because it is done a lot (or not done a lot, as the case may be) doesn't make it good (or bad). Its really more of a personal preference issue.

I don't mind puzzles that are straightforward. Such as fixing the water pump in Fallout (which is also a minor consequence action as well, woohoo!). That's the type of puzzle I like. It makes sense to me. Puzzles that are resolved through some essentially illogical or extremely esoteric sequence of action(s), cause me to experience both anger and boredom in the same moment. WHich is a weird sensation, too. :rolleyes: