Civilization Box Set?

Deraldin

Take-Two planning Civ compilation.

2K boxing Civilizations I-IV

Take-Two label to release $70 nine-title compilation featuring all four Firaxis "god games" and five expansions.

By Tor Thorsen, GameSpot

Posted Sep 7, 2006 2:25 pm PT

In November 2004, Atari revealed that it had sold the popular Civilization series to a mystery buyer for $22.3 million. Two months later, Take-Two revealed that it was the buyer and had signed a deal with the game's developer, Firaxis, to publish multiple Civilization games, beginning with the critically lauded Civilization IV.

That's a whole lot of Civilization goin' on.

Though it would end up buying Firaxis outright in November 2005, Take-Two made a separate deal six months prior to acquire all Civilization games released prior to Civ IV. Those games included Civilization, Civilization II, Civilization II: Fantastic Worlds, Civilization II: Conflicts in Civilization, Civilization II: Test of Time, Civilization III, Civilization III: Play the World, Civilization III: Conquests, and Civilization IV.

Today, Take-Two subsidiary 2K announced that it will rerelease almost every Civilization--in a single package. In October, nostalgic PC gamers will be able to pick up Sid Meier's Civilization Chronicles, a boxed set of all the aforementioned titles, for $69.99. In fact, the only non-Game-of-the-Year-Edition Civilizations not in the collection are the new expansion Civilization IV: Warlords and the much-maligned, Activision-developed 1999 title Civilization: Call to Power.

While it covers the same real-life era as other recent retro boxed sets like Command & Conquer: The First Decade, Sid Meier's Civilization Chronicles is not a bare-bones compilation. It will contain a bevy of extras like Civilization: The Card Game, an original tabletop card game based on Civilization IV rules. The game, which sports more than 250 cards, was designed by Civ IV lead designer Soren Johnson.

Also included in the set is the book The Chronicles of Civilization. Weighing in at 96 pages, the tome outlines the history of the franchise via interviews with its creator, Walk of Game member Sid Meier, and prominent designers such as Johnson. Also included is an essay on Civilization's importance in the game industry in general and the PC game sector in particular.

Sid Meier's Civilization Chronicles will also contain a DVD that will sport a video featurette outlining the making of Civilization IV, hosted by--you guessed it--Johnson again. The disc will also contain gameplay footage from and trailers of almost every Civilization game.

It may not have a cloth map in the extras, but a Civ card game sounds pretty neat. :)"

In all except the gameplay of Civ4, I am inclined to agree with Darque. It's rare that a game can actually be fun and 'deep' without resorting to in-your-face textbook philosophy and 'I wanna be a movie director!' unskipable cutscenes.

AC felt unbalanced though, the chopper chassis was stupidly powerful with the blitz ability as standard and things only got worse with the ridiculous alien races.

Loads of fun though.

I've never even heard of Conflicts in Civilization and Test of Time, was one of them a US release of the 'Scenarios' addon that the UK got?

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I've never even heard of Conflicts in Civilization and Test of Time, was one of them a US release of the 'Scenarios' addon that the UK got?

I haven't heard of Conflicts either, however I do own Test of Time. It has the original Civ2 game as well as an extended version of the game that has extra units and technologies. The extended version allows you to continue on playing and colonize Alpha Centauri. Reaching the planet unlocks a secondary tech tree as well.

Along with those there is also a Sci-fi scenario that spreads over four maps and a fantasy campaign that has a similar four map spread. The buildings and technologies are all the same in these campaigns except that they have been renamed.

Now, if they included Alpha Centauri in this box set, it would be just perfect.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

And time it with thelikely Civ 4 expansion - that would be pretty much what got me excited with the Complete Valve relase over Steam (all HL up to HL2 Exp1).

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

And time it with thelikely Civ 4 expansion - that would be pretty much what got me excited with the Complete Valve relase over Steam (all HL up to HL2 Exp1).

The likely Civ 4 expansion? You mean Warlords which happens to be out already? :lol:

The extras are nice and all, but it feels a bit odd buying the old Civ games. With Civ IV around there is no way I'd want to go back and play the othres, not even for nostalgia reasons, which means I'd be paying $20 for the extras alone. I think Warlords should have been included in this, then it could possibly have been a worthwile purchase, if I didn't already own both game and expansion.

I just wonder how many people will stop and play Civilization 3 when you also get Civilization 4..

The first Civilization is fun to have for nostalgia reasons. Civilization 2 is still one of the best games I know of.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I just wonder how many people will stop and play Civilization 3 when you also get Civilization 4..

The first Civilization is fun to have for nostalgia reasons. Civilization 2 is still one of the best games I know of.

^++

I just bought Alpha Centauri for about

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT