Rome: Total Realism

alanschu

To be honest, I find myself doing quite a bit better with Principes than with Hastatii.

The only differences between Hastatii & Principes in vanilla RTW are +2 defense (H=14, P=16) and one extra man per unit. A Hastatii with +1 experience is roughly as effective as a 0 XP Principes.

BTW, here is a nice .pdf with all the unit stats in the basic game.

And that's the whole point, really. Republican rotation battle system can't be simulated to any real degree of realism in vanilla RTW and only slightly better in mods, as Principes are exactly the same as Hastatii, but 'better' in every way by a bit.

You know, ports are great for trade, but I find myself never building farms. Money isn't that big of a problem, population is never a problem, and really I hate it when cities get too big; it's a must to have a +24000pop max-developped city every region in your empire to pump out good units and have a centre of fortified defence, but they bring extensive management / happiness problems, and as someone who likes to see Green faces everywhere too many big cities are unwelcome.

Oh, and the funny thing is the lower you put the taxes to make people happy, the higher the population grows, and no matter what you do squalor and crowdedness later bites you in the butt.

That's odd, my people breed like rabbits day in and day out. O.o This is regardless of military production?

Yup.

At least I have certainly noticed it in my RTR PE game. Maybe there's more stuff for making squalor high.

But even with low tax rates, most of my 20000 population places have growth rates of 0.5% or 1% Sometimes even with a negative squalor governor too (and certainly not with any squalor increasing traits...I made sure to check for that).

When Roma was without a governor (he just died), my population growth rate (at 25k people) fell to -1%.

And this is all with low taxes.

Edited by alanschu

Thanks for the tips.

Now I just have to wait for it to arrive.

Stupid bank holidays. :)

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.

Heh, more addicts. :D

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Heh, more addicts. :D

Duh, because of this topic, I reinstalled damn RTW and downloaded RTR 6.2 <_< I just could not keep my mind out of might of my last Roman Empire (which was year ago, if my memory works.) so I had to start playing again this game :D

Be ready to hear news from my Republic of Rome, as it carves its bloody way to glory :D

edit: I thought that with 6.0 there came (at least) Latin audio and new musics. However, even though I've installed Music Addon, I still have normal musics and audio from Vanilla RTW :rolleyes: Doesn't these audio adds work with 6.2 yer or what? :)

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Dude, snstall RTR Gold, not RTR 6.2. It's old.

Here: http://www.totalrealism.net/ RTR.com is a site that the last disgruntled team leader(they've had several disgruntled leaders) that left the mod never allowed them to use, so they shifted to a new locus. You can't get the newest version from RTR.com.

As for Vlad Kyrulyk's 6.2 music mod(works in the new versions too), go to the sound folder in the RTW/Data and change events.dx to oldevents.dx. I had the exact same problem.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Ah, well that explains. I am going to alter those files after getting neverst version :rolleyes:

I take that after I've installed Gold, I have to start again?

Oh, that site does not work. Damn bandwidth limit. Well, I just have to wait...

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

Yeah, Gold isn't backwards compatible.

Sorry about that bandwith limit thing. I can't find a decent, up-to-date link anywhere else in the net. Every site just has 5.4, 6.0 or 6.2.

Here's Platinum though. It works on 1.5 version, which is for normal RTW, no need for BI.

It's essentially RTR for 1.5 and BI's 1.6, but it's not "officially supported"(fat lot of ****, since there's a bunch of RTR-devs on board) by the RTR-devs, but works very well. I have it.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

It's essentially RTR for 1.5 and BI's 1.6, but it's not "officially supported"(fat lot of ****, since there's a bunch of RTR-devs on board) by the RTR-devs, but works very well. I have it.

Oh, I thought that you unistalled anything related to RTW :lol:

Urgh, more patching stuff. It was painful enough to uninstall RTW as I had 1.6 version and RTR needed 1.2. So if I download RTR Platinium, I have to patch my RTW first to 1.3 and then to 1.5? And since I have BI installed, I have to patch it to 1.6? :lol:

And must I uninstall that 6.2 version before installing platinium?

Uninstall everything related to RTW first, then install RTW with Bi, that patches itself to 1.5. Then install Platinum, you don't need to patch to the 1.6 version of RTW, Platinum works in 1.5 too.

Right now, I don't even have a rig. This is a school 'puter.

kirottu said:

Ah, okay

I'll do that then :lol:

Yas!

It's arrived.

\o/

Installing now.

EDIT: Ok, it's installed and completely screwed, the screen is massive, on the main menu I can only see the first two letters of the word Rome and the options are moved all the way to the right so I can't see them properly. Everything is magnified by quite a lot. I tried changing the resolution, to no avail and when I take a print screen of it and paste in paint everything is normal. Can anyone tell me wtf is going on.

EDIT 2: Xard, R:TW arrived, look a few posts back and you'll see that I ordered it on Saturday.

Edited by sucky

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.

Umm...what have arrived? ;)

Btw, is that "Alexander wars" or whatever that new only-from-net expansion is called, worth of buying? I've heard that it gives you finally a good challenge (though I've played as Western Roman Empire with Very Hard-Very Hard three times, and only once like that I succeeded in completing BI. Heck, that is f*cking impossible occasionally!) in a single player. And it is cheap too. :) However, I've heard too, that there is not much new stuff.

So, someone has experience from this?

There's not much new stuff, it's really a campaign where you must conquer a set number of provinces as Alexander in a set number of turns; so you really have to blitzkrieg and conquer, conquer, conquer, doing just enough to stop revolts behind you. So it's a nice play but not really a full expansion. I'd think it would be fun for a couple of plays, especially with the re-enactment plus, but as RTW as a game engine and concept is completely incapable of handling an Alexander-like conquest (with a lot more chokepoint / terrain-based battles, subjugation of large areas through diplomacy or destruction of sovereignty, a real handling of revolt forces, etc)...

There will be a mod called Alexandros for the expansion, which will something in the vein of Alexander:Total Realism. The expansion might be worth getting after that thing. But buying from the net is icky.

kirottu said:

Hmm...maybe.

When I can finally find it cheap.

kirottu said:

How do you get your archers to use fire arrows in this?

The guy in the prolouge said you could but the stupid git didn't tell me how to.