Dark Messiah Of Might And Magic

Pidesco

Is this game better than Oblivion?  Many times over. Compared to this game Oblivion was flat, 2 dimensional. So was its predecessor Morrowind.  :)

Comparing it to Oblivion is in and of itself very stupid. Both strive to be, and are completely different.

One is a game striving to provide a large, unfocused world with tons to do. The other is trying to provide a small, focused, linear leveled game focusing mostly on combat ala Hexen.

Gamspot rates DM 6.7/10

Haha, it's exactly what I thought: A decently done fantasy FPS with too many bugs, no more, no less. Nothing outstanding there, except the brutal melee combat. I think I'll pass.

C'mon people? Where are the games with great stories and such?

While it's a bit of a cliche at this point, it still applies: Go read a book for a great story.

The story is decent enough, the reviewer just seems to be poo-pooing everything in the game.

That review was awful. He also called the combat "unsatisfying", which is about the pure opposite of reality. The melee in this game is probably the most immersive, satisfying, and brutal of any game out there. It's pure fun.

All other reviews that I know of have been very positive, despite the performance issues. Alot of the bugs are associated purely with the Steam version, with Valve's ****ty job of delivering it with missing sound files and such.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=69141 = Much better review

Also, it sounds like you should avoid multi-player. It was made by a different team than the single-player, and it sounds like it's not half as good. Though, I've heard some like it.

Edited by Vic

Gamspot rates DM 6.7/10

Haha, it's exactly what I thought: A decently done fantasy FPS with too many bugs, no more, no less. Nothing outstanding there, except the brutal melee combat. I think I'll pass.

C'mon people? Where are the games with great stories and such?

His complaints about the usefulness of abilities are kind of silly. It would be the same thing as complaining about Deus Ex's multiple ways of doing things. "I finished Deus Ex by headshooting everyone with the sniper rifle, therefore all other things you can do in the game are useless." It's an idiotic way of seeing things. The feel I got from the demo is that each ability is as useful as you want to makre it.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

It's still disappointing, because the only way to express yourself is through combat. While I'm sure people have ton's of fun with that, it's something that usually bores me pretty quickly - as any straight forward FPS.

Deus Ex had at least stealth, some dialogs and other enhancements that gave it more versatility.

I guess I just expected something like Thief, but what was I thinking about? Doesn't matter. There's still NWN2.

um... You are aware that there is stealth in the game, aren't you? There's three branching skillsets: Warrior, Mage, and Stealth. You can mix and match skills from each as well, for added "expression".

:)

Edited by Vic

Dark Messiah has stealth. Or at least the demo had it. I really don't see where that reviewer is coming from.

But anyway, if you don't care about the combat you probably shouldn't care about this game.

Heja Sverige!!

Stealth in DM is all about the backstabbing. Again, like I posted two minutes ago, "if you don't care about the combat you probably shouldn't care about this game." It's no biggie, it's just a game that wasn't designed with your tastes in mind.

Heja Sverige!!

First Gothic 3 and now this. Let's hope Neverwinter Nights 2 redeems PC gaming for us.

I am getting Bully (or Canis Canem Edit) after work. At least then you know you're getting a game without bugs that's probably deeper than both Gothic 3 and Dark Messiah. Playstation 2 for the win, or something. Sigh.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

First Gothic 3 and now this.

Except it isn't anywhere near as bad as Gothic 3. And from most of the accounts I've heard, the problems have been mainly with the people who bought it over Steam. Valve seems to have ****ed up, not the dev and pub.

And in the case of the review, it's one guy being a little pissant in the midst of alot of positive reviews.

Yeah, I will probably get this whenever it is released in Sweden. But it sounds like an honest review, even if the score is a bit lower than I expected. Most reviews mention the same problems, although in slightly different variations. Some are able to overlook them, some focus on them. Still, it doesn't sound like the game I was hoping this would be (a kind of an action-y Arx Fatalis with a better engine), no matter which review I read.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I think anyone that was looking for DM to be more than a melee FPS will be disappointed.. that's the impression I got from the start, though that was partly because I didnt look into it as much as others. It's goign to have levels and you're going to fight with a pretty good melee engine.

I'm excited about that, actually. THat's how I'd prefer DM to be. Real sword combat.

I've encounter two bugs so far, both in the same location. I backstabbed a guy, but instead of dying and falling to the ground, he fell up into the air and hovered before eventually getting up and attacking me again, only this time he appeared to be using some kind of god mode. Reload.

I shot another guard with an arrow for a one hit kill, but instead of being impaled on the wall like the last guy, the arrow began flying around the room in random directions, with the body rotating violently around it. Crazy.

As Pidesco mentioned, if you aren't interested in combat this isn't the game for you. Sure it has stealth, but it's not much compared to a dedicated stealth experience like Thief. Nor does it have the RPGness of Arx Fatalis.

The problem with DM is, actually melee combat is not that impressive as well. At least that was the impression i got from the demo. It's just a series of right-click and left-click.

I still will be buying this game sometime in the future. If there wasn't NWN2 at the top my buying list, i'd buy DM for sure.

centinexx.png

Yeah, I will probably get this whenever it is released in Sweden. But it sounds like an honest review, even if the score is a bit lower than I expected. Most reviews mention the same problems, although in slightly different variations. Some are able to overlook them, some focus on them. Still, it doesn't sound like the game I was hoping this would be (a kind of an action-y Arx Fatalis with a better engine), no matter which review I read.

Did nobody ever inform you that reviewers are, just opinionated **** who trip off of the influence they gain?

I haven't paid mind to a reviewers comments on games for years.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

Mkreku is a reviewer. :)

Heja Sverige!!

The problem with DM is, actually melee combat is not that impressive as well. At least that was the impression i got from the demo.  It's just a series of right-click and left-click.

Combat is very samey, although I do enjoy using the environment. I've probably killed more characters by kicking them off ledges, kicking them into spikes, kicking them into fires, hurling things at them, etc.

Btw, i wonder if we will see more traditional M&M CRPG titles in the future...

I doubt we'll ever see those type of rpgs, not from big mainstream companies anyway.

Btw, i wonder if we will see more traditional M&M CRPG titles in the future...  :lol:

Not from a major publisher. Howewer, if web distribtuion really becomes wide-spread, then smaller dev companies have a chance of realising niche product like that.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I know. That's why it amused me. In a real world social setting, it would be called a gaffe. :(

Heja Sverige!!