NHL

Darque

So basically.. We've lost four straight and we have a 2-0 lead going into the third against Atlanta. Things look bright. So what happens? Atlanta scores five goals in the last period, to send us to our fifth straight loss. Bye bye playoffs.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

So basically.. We've lost four straight and we have a 2-0 lead going into the third against Atlanta. Things look bright. So what happens? Atlanta scores five goals in the last period, to send us to our fifth straight loss. Bye bye playoffs.

You just have to petition the league to get rid of the third period. Then Buffalo would be in last place in Toronto would be in first. :-

at least you aren't rooting for the st. loser blues. gah, it is depressing. i was saying bye-bye to the playoffs after 2 or 3 games into the season.

st. louis would still be near the bottom if the 3rd period were removed. you'd have to remove all 3, then use a loaded coin-toss to improve them.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

at least you aren't rooting for the st. loser blues.  gah, it is depressing.  i was saying bye-bye to the playoffs after 2 or 3 games into the season.

st. louis would still be near the bottom if the 3rd period were removed.  you'd have to remove all 3, then use a loaded coin-toss to improve them.

taks

You are only one point behind Columbus. You aren't that far back. Sure it's ten points out of the playoffs, but look at the distinguished company around you with Columbus and Phoenix. :aiee:

yeah, true. they've spent a lot of money this year to offset the laurie's purge from last year. the talent they've bought, however, just isn't producing. legace does not have the same defense as he had when doing so well with detroit, either, so the shots he's facing are much tougher to save.

taks

actually, last year he was 2.19 GAA with a .915 save pctg. lifetime he's 2.31 and .914 resp., and his last three years he was below 2.2 GAA every year. he was great, but the quality of shots he faced was probably lower due to an elite defense.

taks

I was getting a little worried. Every time that I would chat with a friend online during Oilers games we'd lose. I told her this, and didn't score any points in the process. I'm just glad that that streak was broken the other night against the 'Nucks.

And I hope we can lay the same collective beating on Carolina that Edmonton did last night. Go Oilers!!!

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

No, that's more like Ty Conklin stats. :o

Even Conklin wasn't that bad with the Oilers. He was 2.8GAA and .890 Save%.

Those are poor stats for a starter and he was .880 last season (as was Markkanen).

^Yes, that is a good observation, Checkpoint. /God

No, that's more like Ty Conklin stats. :o

Even Conklin wasn't that bad with the Oilers. He was 2.8GAA and .890 Save%.

Those are poor stats for a starter and he was .880 last season (as was Markkanen).

I never said they were good. I just said they weren't quite as bad as Legace's current stats, but you are right about the save %. I misread the stats. In my defence, 8 and 9 look very similar at 1600x1200. :o

below 3 GAA and around .900 are good starter stats. under 2.5 GAA is getting really good, though that number is definitely impacted by shots faced. i.e. you can have a .9 save, but face 40+ shots and you're still giving up 4 goals. this was the problem liut faced for so many years with the blues.

taks

Anyone saying Conklin wasn't that bad with the Oilers wasn't really watching the Oilers.

The save percentage, as horrible as it was, doesn't tell the whole story. The guy frequently let in BAD goals. Ignoring the giant mishap that happened in Game 1 of the Finals, the joke was that he was pretty much guaranteed one bad goal per game. And silly stuff, like not hugging the post properly and having some guy come in and shoot it from the edge of the boards, and have it squeak between his pads and the post....numerous times! Little flutter pucks that would barely make it to the net were mishandled and let in for freebies.

I still laugh when I remember Brendan Morrison coming in towards Ty all alone chasing a loose puck, and when Ty got to it, he cleared it right off of Morrison's chest and gave him a free goal. Fortunately we won that one in a 7-6 gong show, thanks to a breakaway goal by Peca in OT.

It got to a point where in press conferences, MacTavish was talking about how he was going to start focusing more on shotblocking (at which point we ended up becoming I think the second best shot blocking team in the league) to overcome medicore goaltending.

When Dwayne Roloson came to town, there was an adjustment because Dwayne wasn't used to the playstyle. He wanted the Oilers to allow the shot from the outside, because he'd make the save. They didn't have to overcompensate anymore.

There were two things that I liked about Conklin. The first is when he was demoted to the minors he took it like a man. The second is I remember him getting in a good scrap with some other goalie on one occasion.

And it's sad to see Nieuwendyk retire, but I still bear some animosity towards him from all those Dallas/Edmonton matchups. Plus, he was a Flame!!

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.