Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Core 2 Duo (Conroe) the new king

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

Rhombus

Rhombus

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 42 posts
Yeah, and AMD's new prices are rather reasonable aswell.. with their monster 5000+ landing just below Intels mid segment E6600, which it does fall behind in most tests.. :wacko:

I'm probably gonna try to get a Conroe system this fall.. been sticking with AMD since my first own home-built PC.. *sniff*

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15747 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Processor                      Price
Core 2 Extreme X6800  $999
Core 2 Duo E6700          $530
Core 2 Duo E6600          $316
Core 2 Duo E6400          $224
Core 2 Duo E6300        $183
Pentium D 960              $316
Pentium D 950              $224
Pentium D 945              $163
Pentium D 915              $133
Pentium D 820              $113
Pentium D 805              $93

Intel's prices are very reasonable given they have no competition.

It's a great year for PC users. :cool:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"No competition?"

I guess you weren't buying computers in 1999.

Moose

Moose

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 883 posts
Never has an AMD in my life... I knew Intel would get its rightful crown back :P

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15747 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Like I said, yay competition. Regardless of which camp you're in, you're getting processors for cheaper than you would otherwise.

angshuman

angshuman

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Like I said, yay competition.  Regardless of which camp you're in, you're getting processors for cheaper than you would otherwise.

:(

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6451 posts
I want this processor.

STDSkillz

STDSkillz

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 86 posts
The Conroe's make the Pentium D's look like a huge pile of electronic crap.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts

The Conroe's make the Pentium D's look like a huge pile of electronic crap.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A dog poo makes Pentium D (Netburst architecture) look like a huge pile of electronic crap.

angshuman

angshuman

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
To be fair to Intel's engineers, the Netburst uarch was a pretty interesting concept to begin with but ended up being a huge mess.

The idea was to have an insanely fast execution core that is clocked at twice the speed of the already ridiculously clocked front end. A 3.8GHz Penium4's ALUs actually ran at 7.6GHz. The instruction scheduling logic was another insane piece of work. It all just crashed heavily when clocks reached close to 4 GHz and power consumption shot up though the roof.

I have never hesitated to ridicule Netburst in the past, but in truth the Hammer, Conroe etc. are fairly traditional uarchs: evolutionary derivatives of the P6 (Pentium II). Netburst dared to be different, but it just didn't work. Intel should have killed it off 2 years earlier; it would have died a much more honorable death back then.

STDSkillz

STDSkillz

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 86 posts
It's too bad Intel waited for a long time on the Conroe. They've had it developed for a really long time now, but they wanted their NetBurst technology to get some money back. What a waste.

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15747 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
They were really just sitting on a computer with superior architecture?

angshuman

angshuman

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I don't believe that's true. Conroe has evolved through the following chain:

P6 (Pentium II) -> PIII -> Banias -> Dothan -> Yonah -> Merom -> Conroe.

Banias, Dothan, Yonah and Merom are all Israeli Pentium M/Centrino cores. Merom has not yet been released. I don't think Conroe was ready until recently. It's true that if Portland had started working on this line in parallel with Haifa instead of focusing all of their efforts on Netburst derivatives, Conroe might have been born a lot sooner.

angshuman

angshuman

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Feeding The Monster (Conroe Buyers' Guide)

Alec

Alec

(8) Warlock

• Members.
  • 1107 posts
Core 2 Duo Conroe processors are exceptional!

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts
Yeah, Asus make great hardware. Just remember though: Abit is back in the business. Might be worth waiting to see what the reviews say about their latest offerings too (if you're at all interested in overclocking and performance).

angshuman

angshuman

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Hmm... I've never tried Abit. Would you put them in the same league as DFI, MSI and ASUS?

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15747 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Abit, IIRC, used to be the big dawg in terms of OC friendly motherboards.

I've been an Asus fan for pretty much my entire life though (motherboard wise...not sold on their video cards)

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15747 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Make sure you're not always waiting.

SteveThaiBinh

SteveThaiBinh

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4085 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Make sure you're not always waiting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is also my fear. The Conroe processors sound like such a better deal than anything else available that at the moment I'm feeling it's worth the wait, but only for a month or two. If they're delayed or not available for ages, then I'm getting an Athlon.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts

Hmm... I've never tried Abit. Would you put them in the same league as DFI, MSI and ASUS?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe their current direct competitor would in fact be DFI. They market themselves in the same (crazy) segment of hardware buyers. MSI doesn't have such a hot marketvalue (in Sweden at least) and ASUS have such a wide array of products that they're not exactly in the same segment either. The expensive ASUS (Deluxe models) is a bit like Abit used to be.

I have an Abit motherboard in my own computer and an ASUS in my girlfriends computer. The Abit is much more versatile when it comes to overclocking (and tweaking memory latency) but the ASUS has a MUCH smarter motherboard layout. I recently bought a Zalman fan for my (overclocked) CPU and the damn motherboard is so stupidly built that I had to cut off a big piece of metal from the cooler just to get it to fit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users