"First of all let me sort the facts: As soon as Core 2 Duo hits the market, it will...
- be the fastest x86 processor (both single and dual core models)
- make the Pentium D and all predecessors look like antiques
- be the clear choice for performance users despite its rather expensive price
- outperform the complete Athlon 64 family (X2 and FX) in all areas, including gaming, where AMD has traditionally been very strong
- consume less energy than other standard desktop processors
- transform the whole Intel platform from an energy-hungry beast to a reasonable solution that is competitive in terms of performance per Watt
AMD's fastest CPU is the Athlon FX-62, which is priced at ~$1000. Intel's new equivalent (in performance) is the Core 2 Duo E6600, priced at ~$318! Above that they now have two faster CPU's than AMD.. Intel is again king.
So.. For the fastest computer available right now, go with the Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme X6800 and two Crossfire-connected ATI X1900XTX's.
Edited by mkreku, 14 July 2006 - 12:14 AM.