Apparently all of us were wrong

"Tell your friend that the first Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy games were dumbed down Ultima clones. Still are, if you ask me."

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

But, no.

Yes, they were.

Well, Dragon Quest was as Yuji Hori said so himself.

Final Fantasy, on the other hand was actually a DQ clone.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I think generally anything with stats is considered RPG. While interactive dialog, story and nonlinear plot progression, by themselves are viewed more as adventure game elements.

But as someone said it's pointless to argue about definitions. You like what you like and it doesn't matter how people define it...

See? He's always trying to start something.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I suggest that the mods automatically lock every thread starting with "...a friend told me that..." in the following future.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Interesting

The same year

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

According to someone I know, BioWare (and companies like them) doesn't make RPGs!  Final Fantasy is a traditional RPG.  Xenogears/Xenosaga is an traditional RPG.  KOTOR, BG, NWN, Planescape, Fallout, they are "dice games" and not real RPGs

He says this becuase he grew up with FF for the NES, and hence, all the Japanese style of RPGs are the REAL ones.  Is this close minded?  I mean, he says that RPG's started in Japan...didn't D&D pretty much start RPGs as we know them?  So, a game based on D&D universe and rules, or just the rules is MORE of an RPG than you controlling a spikey haired, big eyed, metro-sexual guy with a sword 10x bigger than himself in a story that you can't even remotely control let alone your character.

Oh, and when I try to defend Western RPGs he says "NO! We aren't going to get an an argument over this!" ...but yet he can bash MY STYLE OF RPGs?

What do you guys think?

He does know Ultima came out in 1981 and his Final Fantasy didn't come out until 1990.

Use this as a reference

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_role...f_computer_RPGs

Edited by Craigboy2

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf