Pennies - obsolete?

LadyCrimson

Read this article about the possible future death of the American penny. Mostly, it's kind of an amusing read, especially the little stories about those who saved a million pennies.

Plus the amusement of the 'save the penny' crowd in the US. *shakes head* I think some worry about inflation w/out the penny but I don't really see that happening. I know some countries have gotten rid of the bottom value coins, and from my limited knowledge, it hasn't seemed to harm them at all. I know I sure hate getting pennies in my change. If it costs more than a cent to make a penny, why bother. Get rid of them, I say. :D

edit: Original link stopped working, changed it.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

We got rid of the ha'penny when I was a kid, and I still miss it a little. The only place I remember using it was the sweet shop, where every little extra helped :) . If you get rid of the penny in the US, though, you won't be able to price something as $5.99. Shopkeepers may resist the loss of their favourite psychological trick to get you to buy.

Is there any progress on changing the $1 bill to a coin?

Edited by SteveThaiBinh

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I think shopkeepers would just price things at 5.95 instead. But yes, they'll probably resist the loss of those few pennies per sale.

Haven't heard anything about the dollar bill.

Edit: I wouldn't mind getting rid of all metal coins actually. Even quarters. We have maybe $600 in quarters and we never use them cause they're too heavy to carry around. Maybe plastic coins? I wonder how Americans would react to plastic change.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

we get rid of the penny and it'll be the nickle that everyone will complain about.

And people do use pennies... alot of them.

It's really annoying when sombody uses pennies to get a 492 burger and fries at drive.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Read this article about the possible future death of the American penny. Mostly, it's kind of an amusing read, especially the little stories about those who saved a million pennies.

Plus the amusement of the 'save the penny' crowd in the US. *shakes head* I think some worry about inflation w/out the penny but I don't really see that happening. I know some countries have gotten rid of the bottom value coins, and from my limited knowledge,  it hasn't seemed to harm them at all. I know I sure hate getting pennies in my change. If it costs more than a cent to make a penny, why bother. Get rid of them, I say.  :D

edit: Original link stopped working, changed it.

Just wait untill The Super-Great Depression of 2020 and than let's see who needs the penny.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

I totally misread the topic here.  Basically missed an n and an e.

;)

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.

I suppose with the sales taxes and such, the US merchants could probably still shelf-price it at .99 and then round it up or down after tax is added.

Edit: I wouldn't mind getting rid of all metal coins actually. Even quarters. We have maybe $600 in quarters and we never use them cause they're too heavy to carry around.

Look around for a coin machine in your local bank or credit union. Pass the buck, so to speak.

At the end of the day I empty my pennies into a large jar. Once the jar is full I take it to a charity. You'd be surprised how much cash you can collect without ever noticing its absence.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.