Game Tester

elp

Any specific things about the position that you want suggestions on? That might help people think of responses which may be of interest to you.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Any specific things about the position that you want suggestions on? That might help people think of responses which may be of interest to you.

Suggestions for the resume, something that would grab the HR's intrest besides

previous QA experience.

All I can think of is Online Beta games, and a lifetime of playing pc and cosole games.

Also getting in touch w/ the HR is difficult when trying to get past the Answering machine w/o a name. I know their busy, I don't wanna be an ass but I want to be acknowleged

Honestly from what I can tell game testing is a crappier job than foodservice. It's like all the frustrating parts about gaming without any good stuff.

Imagine if you got stuck at a really hard part in a game, only you couldn't stop playing that really hard spot no matter how boring or mindnumbing it got without losing your job.

Then imagine it isn't even hard, but you're just being forced to play the same part over and over again.

Sucktastic.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

You could also try a level design position. Those aren't that much harder to get than QA jobs but the pay is much better and you are usually treated more like a human than a piece of gum under somebody's shoe.

You do need more skills though, like the knowledge of at least one 3D modeling/animation software and you need to make a few mods to hone those skills.

QA isn't just playing through a level and describing bugs. Most of the time the work consists of making those bugs happen, by going out of the usual path and breaking the system. That said, a good tester will know or find out how the system(program) works and will learn ways to break it.

The "quality" of most QA jobs is also largely dependendant on the game itself. I tested little, ultra simple kiddy games for months and big scale RTS & RPGs. Guess which ones are more enjoyable to work on?

If you really want to get into the industry through QA but are having problems getting into the big game companies, you could try an external QA firm.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

And the most important thing with QA is to get a job with a smaller companys in-house QA team. That way youll both be treated like a human being and youll also have the chance of rising thorugh the ranks. You get a job doing QA at Electronic Arts or Sony and you are their prag for life.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Thx guys

That thread was very informative :D

Lvl design sounds interesting but I was intending to be a Character Modeler, I bet the turnover rate is probably similar.

I definitely knew depending on the game how enjoyable the testing experience would be.

But yea, I was intending to move up from such a position under a bigger company,

the collective, insominac or blizzard.

I figured previous QA experience would look good on a resume for the bigger companies, but by then my reel would probably be done.

:D

I still think QA experience is beneficial for me and the company

Character modeling is THE most sought-after job in graphics... with the exception of concept artist but few companies can afford to have them as fulltime employees working exclusively with art.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "