CORSAIR XMS 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel

I've never bought exotic RAM, but I've heard lots of good things about Corsair XMS.

I'm guessing you are planning to overclock a lot? Otherwise there's not much point in buying such classy stuff... Corsair ValueSelect can be had for about half that price.

I would advise against the Corsair XMS. Yes it is good ram, but it is highly overpriced. If you are not planning on overclocking I would suggest something like this. Much cheaper, but not quite as fast, although that doesn't matter nearly as much if you are not overclocking.

Edited by Deraldin

By "indeed" I meant yes I will be overclocking my PC.  Probably quite a bit towards the end of it's life cycle (Christmas '07 maybe).

Heh, oops. Missed that... *goes off the check again*

If those timings are really important than that's probably the best deal you are going to get for CAS 2 ram. At least of the ones that I've seen. If you don't mind loosening those up a bit you can go up to PC4000 ram and pick up this for example for nearly $100 cheaper and should be better for overclocking.

I'd look into it more, but my lunch break is almost over and I need to get back to school. I can find more ideas for you if you still want them once I get back.

Edited by Deraldin

I use the exact same memory myself. It is entirely possible to overclock the sweet bejeeesus out of them, they never complain. They do get very hot though. They're expensive but if you're into overclocking you can't go wrong with the XMS. They run at 2-2-2-5 settings right out of the box, if I'm not mistaken.

They look awesome inside my computer case too.. :p)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Worth it.

Considering that you're going to spend $xxx on any 2 gb, and that flaky memory can really mess you up, name brands really do make a difference. I'm partial to Corsair--the company has awesome tech support and a lifetime warranty that they stand solidly behind. No matter how old the RAM is.

XMS is some serious stuff and very fast, built for overclocking. But at stock settings, there isn't a perceptible difference with Corsair's ValueSelect (which is a bit less expensive, can be pushed a little, and still has the warranty.) If money is an issue and you don't plan on high-end overclocking, you can't go wrong with that.

In general, just do buy any ram packaged in pairs for dual-channel, and if you have a board that has 4 DIMM slots, don't plan on populating them all. Even though the capability is there, some chipsets don't like it.

...I's'd reconsider goin' Corsair XMS fer OCin'...2 gigs o' OCZ Platinum EL can be had fer cheaper, runs stock @ 2-3-2-5 at 2.6v instead o' the Corsair runnin' stock @ 2-3-3-6 (2.5-3-3-6 on an AMD setup) at 2.75v (meanin' OCin' her will run a wee bit cooler an' a wee bit tighter, since yer startin' off at tighter timings an' a lower voltage), an' OCZ ram be reknown fer wicked OC's...I have 1 gig o' OCZ EL in me rig atm an' 'ave jus' ordered the 2 gigs o' OCZ Plats an' I's happy as a pig in shyte 'bout it... :D

...jus' a suggestion... :)

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way