Who will win the console war?

Who will win the console war?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the console war?

• Sony's PS3
    • Microsoft's 360
    • Nintendo's Wii

I'm not seeing it.

All you have to do is look at the PS2 and Xbox.

I think that's where we differ. I think Sony went down a new road that devolpers seem somewhat reluctant to follow.

I see Microsoft getting those treasured 3rd party titles too. GTA, The new Resident Evil, and likely Assasins Creed will all be on the 360 and you can play them for much less (with a rumble pack!).

Unless your a HUGE Final Fantasy fan (god help Sony if MS gets that too) I just don't see the justification.

Especially when you can play Mario, Zelda, GTA, RE4, etc all for the cost of a PS3.

*Sigh*

Did you not look at the list?

M$ is NOT getting Atlus, NIS, Level 5, Konami (refering to Suikoden, not MGS), Monolith and plenty of other developers that do stuff M$ really can't compare with (on a genre basis, not quality since that is largely based on opinion).

How do you know developers are reluctant to follow? Source? From what I've seen, plenty of the old PS2 developers are working on PS3 title.

As for M$ getting some of the third party support... Good for them, they however are only going for the bigger names, with the games that will obviously appeal to the M$ fan base. Obviously, GTA4 and RE5 are games that would be welcome additions.

I will probably get a Wii first as I need to catch up with JRPGs (though I prefer Occidental RPGs).

however, as far as the 360 goes, it all depends on the titles. if the Mass Effect trilogy turns out good along with the Mistwalker games....and, if Obsidian releases an RPG on 360, then I will most likely get a 360 at some point.

the real wild card is the titles for the 360 and whether MS will have enough exclusives for that platform.

>>>>>>>>>and if MS really wants to break into the Japanese market, I wonder if they will come out with dating sims and board games, which, along with RPGs, are very popular in Japan....FPSs are not that popular in Japan.

*Sigh*

M$ is NOT getting Atlus, NIS, Level 5, Konami (refering to Suikoden, not MGS), Monolith and plenty of other developers that do stuff M$ really can't compare with (on a genre basis, not quality since that is largely based on opinion).

How do you know developers are reluctant to follow? Source?  From what I've seen, plenty of the old PS2 developers are working on PS3 title.

As for M$ getting some of the third party support...  Good for them, they however are only going for the bigger names, with the games that will obviously appeal to the M$ fan base.  Obviously, GTA4 and RE5 are games that would be welcome additions.

Always a bad sign for someone when they break out the "sigh"

You are aware how expensive it is to develop for the PS3, right? Not to meantion PS3 games have been plagued by delays (might eb sonys fault). Sure, some of the old band is following Sony, but we'll see how long it lasts. Just saying that it is never a good sign when some of your biggest titles jump ship or go cross platform.

That and Sonys fanbase can fade away in a single generation. Just like what happened to Nintendo.

right, development for the PS3 is also a wildcard....unless Sony has provided some really kick*** dev tools, we are talking about programmers coding for 8 processors instead of 1.

do the math....unless Sony has provided some really good dev tools, development for this less conventional architecture is going to get real old, real quick.

When Sony revealed the PlayStation 3 controller would be able to sense certain types of motion, skeptics scoffed. That's because Nintendo announced last September that its recently rechristened Wii console would also have motion-sensing controls, leading many to believe that Sony had added the functionality at the last minute as a gimmick. A report in the New York Times didn

*Sigh*

How do you know developers are reluctant to follow? Source?  From what I've seen, plenty of the old PS2 developers are working on PS3 title.

As for M$ getting some of the third party support...  Good for them, they however are only going for the bigger names, with the games that will obviously appeal to the M$ fan base.  Obviously, GTA4 and RE5 are games that would be welcome additions.

Always a bad sign for someone when they break out the "sigh"

You are aware how expensive it is to develop for the PS3, right? Not to meantion PS3 games have been plagued by delays (might eb sonys fault). Sure, some of the old band is following Sony, but we'll see how long it lasts. Just saying that it is never a good sign when some of your biggest titles jump ship or go cross platform.

That and Sonys fanbase can fade away in a single generation. Just like what happened to Nintendo.

All right, those are valid points.

Keep in mind that the Playstation has two major front though...

Few developers might be willing to take the gamble to try to release stuff on the Xbox 360... but I'm willing to bet a lot are not. I remember a couple years back, Atlus (big jRPG name) released an SMT title on the Xbox... the lost a lot of money on that gamble.

I guess only time will tell though. <_<

All I see that hurts PS3 the most is the price; $600 is pretty painful to shell out. And the other systems are considerbly cheaper.

I wouldn't consider the 360 considerably cheaper. If you get the $500 PS3 model you're getting a better system, blue ray and a 20gb HD. That's only $100 more than the 360. The Wii will easily be 1/2 the cost of a PS3 and a 360 and that's where Nintendo has the advantage.

In terms of the Japanese market, let's be realistic here, the 360 is flopping. It's selling less than the original Box at the same time in its life. Third-party support is better this time around, but apart from the two Mistwalker titles, I don't see too much that would make Japan pick a 360.

That leaves the PS3 and the Wii. Does every game need to look like FFXIII? Face it, most JRPGs aren't really shiny examples of graphical splendor. But the Wii has a stupid remote, how can you play games on it??? Why not? The feature is there, that doesn't make it mandatory, you still have your analog stick, you still have your digital keys, you still have buttons, not to mention retro-gamepads. Extra-wiimote functionality can be added in as an enhancement instead of requiring to be a driving force for every game. Tedious menu navigation? Point and click. You don't need to swing a sword in every game.

Not to mention that because 'Wii graphics sux lol', it's becoming the more attractive option for devs who aren't trying to make FFXIII. Namely, SNK and Megaman dude have pointed this out. I won't be surprised if the Wii ends up as the haven for 2D games. Or, niche titles that aren't expecting to sell millions (obscure JRPGs????) that can't afford to focus on making polygons.

What with diminishing returns of graphical awesomeness with each coming gen, I wouldn't be surprised if devs see the affordable console as a more attractive option. I'm not sure everyone who likes the PS2 as it is is buying into the 'more PS2 games, but with more storage space and a nice pricetag' when devs could be developing the same games (PS2-type games) for, say, the Wii. Not every DS game uses the mic/touch screen/dual screen (but, of course, the presence of these features can allow for more convenience, such as using two screens to track down data - or the Wiimote to navigate menus).

Of course, either the Wii or the PS3 could technically flop. I reckon many devs are still waiting to see how they fare before pledging loyalty or whatever crap. If the PS3 isn't selling, devs aren't going to diss out massive amounts of resources to make games for it. Same goes for Wii.

And I leave you with Sony PR quote of the day.

"How many games in the first year will use this new functionality?" [Referring to the PS3 gyrocrap]

Harrison: I expect that every game will use this functionality. We move the controller all the time when we play already, but now we can control how we play when we move the controller along with using the analog sticks as normal as well. That is a feature that only the Playstation 3 will be able to provide.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

SNK and Megaman dude have pointed this out.

Two series that have been suffering quiet a bit... Megaman since X5 and SNK since the death of the MVS hardware. I can see why they would move to cheaper development.

I won't be surprised if the Wii ends up as the haven for 2D games. Or, niche titles that aren't expecting to sell millions (obscure JRPGs????) that can't afford to focus on making polygons.

This makes me wonder a bit. Atlus is already making the next SMT title on the PS3, but

the series has never been about visuals or even selling a lot. They have always kept the titles true to the their roots, despite that fact that certain aspects of that are the very thing that keeps them from going mainstream... The Wii would be a haven for all of that.

I'd be careful before assuming all the JRPGs are going to the PS3, for the above points. Remember when FF was a sure-thing for the N64? Remember the tech demo?

The Wii is already getting FFCC and a Dragon Quest spin-off. Yes, they're spin-offs, but it'll be a good way to test the waters (and for other devs to see the system's viability for the genre). The DQ title is actually being made by the main DQ team, which has never been done for any other DQ spin-off. They seem to be taking it seriously. DQ9 will have to wait, anyway, since DQ goes to the bestselling console in Japan, and the Wii is more than powerful enough to handle DQ9 - it's not FFXIII. Namco already has an unnamed JRPG in the works for the Wii as well (Tales? BK? We'll see). Not to mention Intelligent Systems' Fire Emblem. If the Wii can prove that games with conventional controls can sell well on it, then the devs will come.

It'd be a shame to see traditionally sprite-based franchises go the way of the polygon just for the sake of nextgen. Ogre/Tactics Ogre with polygons? Disgaea with polygons? Quality threshold indeed.

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

All I see that hurts PS3 the most is the price; $600 is pretty painful to shell out. And the other systems are considerbly cheaper.

I wouldn't consider the 360 considerably cheaper. If you get the $500 PS3 model you're getting a better system, blue ray and a 20gb HD. That's only $100 more than the 360. The Wii will easily be 1/2 the cost of a PS3 and a 360 and that's where Nintendo has the advantage.

But you're looking at the deluxe version of one console, versus, the stripped down ghetto version of another. Most people know that the deluxe version of a console is the one to buy, thanks to features, and the differences there is clearly $200.

@ Llyranor

FFCC was for the Gamecube too ya know, but I see your point. I'm not assuming that every JRPG is heading to the PS3 either, I just stated what I know... quiet a few developers have already started their work on them.

As for the Wii's titles... I can help but think that all those games are going to go out of their way to use the Wii's features... Think of the DS, look at Castlevania... Great game that clearly goes out of it's way to use the stylus. The hole thing really feels out of place and quiet cumbersome.

Edited by Haitoku

Which is why SSBB is making a great statement by just flat-out adopting classic controls. SSBM was the GC's bestselling game, after all.

That's cool too. I only wish for games to feel natural and not have "features" tossed in just because... I have the same worries with PS3 games.

I'd be more worried about this.

"How many games in the first year will use this new functionality?" [Referring to the PS3 gyrocrap]

Harrison: I expect that every game will use this functionality. We move the controller all the time when we play already, but now we can control how we play when we move the controller along with using the analog sticks as normal as well. That is a feature that only the Playstation 3 will be able to provide.

Hadescopy.jpg

I'd be more worried about this.

F' him, he doesn't speak for everyone. <_<