"We should turn Iraq/Iran into a parking lot"

mkreku

Just because someone doesn't know where x country is doesn't mean they're stupid. It just means they didn't neccesarily care enough to find out or remember is all.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Just because someone doesn't know where x country is doesn't mean they're stupid. It just means they didn't neccesarily care enough to find out or remember is all.

But they didn't know where the original CSI took place. They are morons.

Am I right fellas? I mean, am I right?

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

That is actually not false, and I know it from experience of being around and, in fact, being A EUROPEAN. I don't know when you went to school, but it must have been over a hundred years ago, because geography is not centered around knowing countries and places at all. It's all about infrastructure and geology. Which, might I add, is much more useful information. On the off chance we need to have information on a country, we get an Atlas supplied.

In short, Europeans don't know major worldwide cities and countries, at least not in any form other than random trivia, simply because Europeans do not believe this to be of any value. And it isn't. I haven't seen a single geography schoolbook in my life that actually dealt with these things.

And you really don't speak for the entire European continent, of which there are 'many' different nations with different school systems. How the hell do you know what they teach kids in Sweden? You haven't even (asaik) given any information as to your own location.

And FYI, I had a lot of geography in school and high school.

Edited by Lucius

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

I don't know who they f-ing interviewed, but I know that me and my friends can name all the states on the map, and as far as major cities go, show the whereabouts of places like Tokyo, Paris, London, etc.

I'm guessing this was a mostly red states survey  ;)"

I'm guessing that those aged 18-24 show as much interest in broadcast news as my 19-year-old daughter:

Take Iraq, for example. Despite nearly constant news coverage since the war there began in 2003, 63 percent of Americans aged 18 to 24 failed to correctly locate the country on a map of the Middle East. Seventy percent could not find Iran or Israel.

i.e. none.

Unless they accidentally overhear it before they can switch the pop radio channel to some other inane warbling teenager with a drum machine to help with yet-another cover of some old music.

This represents the worst type of media-science: flawed reasoning trying to lamely prop up a pre-determined conclusion. I wonder who the 500 people were that were surveyed ... and what the variance was ...

I don't know who they f-ing interviewed, but I know that me and my friends can name all the states on the map, and as far as major cities go, show the whereabouts of places like Tokyo, Paris, London, etc.

I'm guessing this was a mostly red states survey  :p"

No, just experimentor expectations. The interviewers and reporters expect to find ignorance regarding world geography (as that is their beliefs), and so they look for situations where the circumstances are less than conducive to book-learnin'. They ignore or degrade results contrary to their expections, and instead focus and report on the results that support their hypothesis. Happens quite often; remember, good news doesn't sell or make headlines.

Yep, that's called confirmation bias. :wub:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

But they didn't know where the original CSI took place.

Surely this is disturbing and shocking to everyone.

SURELY!

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Just in case I have puzzled some of you, there was a link to take a few questions from the survey given to the students. One of the questions was, and I quote;

Which of these cities is the setting for the original television series CSI: Crime Scene Investigation?

I rest my case.

I REST MY CASE.

My point being, with all sarcasm aside, that a question like that doesn't belong on a survey meant to test knowledge of geography, not popular television shows.

My point being, with all sarcasm aside, that a question like that doesn't belong on a survey meant to test knowledge of geography, not popular television shows.

Well I did make 97 on my world map test and the rest of my class...cheated.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

I don't care. At all. I wasn't even talking about you.

I blame the schools.

And the students.

Also, the parents.

I have no interest in Geography yet I know a good chunk where countries, capitals, even some off shoot small towns of other states and countries are at. I can point out on an unmark globe where Lima, Peru is at or where Victoria Falls is located at.

Its called having a proper grade school education.

It's called being a total nerd!

Am I right fellas? I mean, am I right?