What are you playing now...

Darque

Well giving it more time I like Stronghold2 better than initial impressions. They use a lot of the same music, so that helps as far as I'm concerned. Some of the clunkiness remains but most things I'm starting to get used to. I definitely like the castle structure options a lot more, as well as the more detailed and abundant little worker animations. The better realisim of melee units not being able to bash down castle walls is frustrating when you're used to them being able to do so, yet adds to the strategic aspect of the game so overall that's good I guess.

Not as addictive as the originals but not too bad.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I've been playing a little Heroes of Might & Magic 5 myself. Good looking game, but the balance seem to be a little off (or maybe I am doing something wrong?). I am at a map where I first have to defend a town from demons and then send out one of my heroes to join up with some army somewhere, but after I beat the initial threat I wanted to explore the map. So I took my time, built two armies (one to defend the town and one to explore with) cleared out the entire map (and underground map) and took over every resource available. Then I got bored and decided to finish the last battle, a garrison in front of the demon town. Imagine my surprise when I get there and the demon army has grown to THOUSANDS of demons! As an example, the toughest unit the enemies can get is named something like Demon Lord (or roughly similar). The garrison contains 500 of those! My own version of that bad-ass is called Archangel. I get 3 of those per week. I have like.. 9. The rest of the enemies come in droves of 2000+, 3000+ and even 5000+! Just for fun, I gathered all my armies and sent them into the garrison to fight. My 127 paladins (really tough cookies) died in one stroke from a pack of 5000 hellhounds (weak opponents normally) as they did 10000 damage in one round, before I had a chance to move.. Then I gave up. I just don't understand how the enemy can build an army 100 times stronger than mine when I own every resource on the map..?

I realized while I was typing this that maybe this isn't a balancing issue. Maybe I am supposed to find that friendly army somewhere and they will be able to help my puny paladins conquer that bastion? I will try to find that army when I get back home in.. 8 hours or so.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

This has always been an issue with HOMM games. I would never leave the monsters on the map if I could avoid it, since they'd just get bigger.

The "Zounds....Bone Dragons" was not a pleasant site to see.

I've been playing a little Heroes of Might & Magic 5 myself. Good looking game, but the balance seem to be a little off (or maybe I am doing something wrong?). I am at a map where I first have to defend a town from demons and then send out one of my heroes to join up with some army somewhere, but after I beat the initial threat I wanted to explore the map. So I took my time, built two armies (one to defend the town and one to explore with) cleared out the entire map (and underground map) and took over every resource available. Then I got bored and decided to finish the last battle, a garrison in front of the demon town. Imagine my surprise when I get there and the demon army has grown to THOUSANDS of demons! As an example, the toughest unit the enemies can get is named something like Demon Lord (or roughly similar). The garrison contains 500 of those! My own version of that bad-ass is called Archangel. I get 3 of those per week. I have like.. 9. The rest of the enemies come in droves of 2000+, 3000+ and even 5000+! Just for fun, I gathered all my armies and sent them into the garrison to fight. My 127 paladins  (really tough cookies) died in one stroke from a pack of 5000 hellhounds (weak opponents normally) as they did 10000 damage in one round, before I had a chance to move.. Then I gave up. I just don't understand how the enemy can build an army 100 times stronger than mine when I own every resource on the map..?

I realized while I was typing this that maybe this isn't a balancing issue. Maybe I am supposed to find that friendly army somewhere and they will be able to help my puny paladins conquer that bastion? I will try to find that army when I get back home in.. 8 hours or so.

Heh, that took me by surprise too. You're not supposed to be able to get through that garrison, as that's where the demon's main city on the map is. It depends what part you're on, but at some point you're required to send the old knight towards the south of the map(to reach Nicolai), around the bridge leading into demonville. I can't remember if you cross the bridge or stay on the normal side to reach the path though - it's pretty easy to find once you're looking for it. Then a cutscene will pop up and explain the rest of what you need to do.

Well, I actually finished it last night, but I thought I'd comment on FEAR. It's the funniest thing to hear them say, "We've got a sniper!" I guess they'd say that if you kill someone in a single shot, but it's really funny when you hear them say it after you off someone with a pistol or a shotgun.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Well, I actually finished it last night, but I thought I'd comment on FEAR.  It's the funniest thing to hear them say, "We've got a sniper!"  I guess they'd say that if you kill someone in a single shot, but it's really funny when you hear them say it after you off someone with a pistol or a shotgun.

I loved all the comments from the clone troops, added a lot to the atmosphere and did a good job at letting you know what they were thinking.

Well, I actually finished it last night, but I thought I'd comment on FEAR.  It's the funniest thing to hear them say, "We've got a sniper!"  I guess they'd say that if you kill someone in a single shot, but it's really funny when you hear them say it after you off someone with a pistol or a shotgun.

What about that part when you go to the stairs, and then you hear "CHECK THE STAIRS!!" -_-

Report back to us about it, Darque.

BTW: Has anyone actually played Call of Cthulu. I'm tempted. The setting might be enough to sell me, but I don't want to buy it if it's a complete dog.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

BTW:  Has anyone actually played Call of Cthulu.  I'm tempted.  The setting might be enough to sell me, but I don't want to buy it if it's a complete dog.

the poster formerly known as Servent of Eru has.

also mothie? you're going to DISPISE the last boss.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

You haven't played it, then? I mean, I'm itching to buy it, but I can probably restrain myself by playing other games. I'm also considering HoMM 5, but I'm worried about what they've done to one of my favorite series.

Obsidian Plays

BTW:  Has anyone actually played Call of Cthulu.  I'm tempted.  The setting might be enough to sell me, but I don't want to buy it if it's a complete dog.

Count on it. :)

Also: Fenghuang gives CoC two thumbs up :)

I will totally be getting it :)

Count on it. :)

Also: Fenghuang gives CoC two thumbs up :)

I will totally be getting it :)

It's a good game. Graphics are solid... the controls feel a bit Xbox'ish, but you'll get use to it.