Is it wrong to be selfish?

Eddo36

A person who expects others to be selfless is selfish himself in that respect.

A person who gives the same selfless feelings to his men yet expects them to be selfless as well is on equal grounds with a person who cares only about himself and expects nothing from others, because the second person doesn't expect others to be selfless and thus is not selfish in that regard.

If anybody thinks that it is wrong to be selfish, then you are an oxymoron. Because nobody is truly selfless when they look down on selfish people, since they are selfish themselves in expecting others to be selfless. As in nobody in this thread.

So take care of #1. Every dog for himself.

There is no such thing as altruism ( IMO) because man is self intrested in everything he does. But there is room for compassion still with empathy, and that may leads to guilt sometimes, which may lead the man to do what is right because he doesn't wan't to feel guilt, ultimatly we want to be happy. :lol:

Edited by WITHTEETH

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

I don't try to live a selfless life. I do, however, try and live a good life. By good, I mean helping others and not committing acts of evil. I don't expect others to respond in kind, but it is nice when they do. This helps me sleep at night, but I'd hardly call that selfish.

I don't try to live a selfless life.  I do, however, try and live a good life.  By good, I mean helping others and not committing acts of evil.  I don't expect others to respond in kind, but it is nice when they do.  This helps me sleep at night, but I'd hardly call that selfish.

A good example of healthy selfishness. You do these good things because you have an idea of how others feel, and by doing goods things it helps your conscious feel better thus making you happy, self interested happiness that works for everyone. Your a good guy hurlshot. :shifty:

Edited by WITHTEETH

Myspace Website!

My rig

Yes. See, you can have your finger in the "good-pie", or you can put it in the bad one where its just bad.

GOOD:

-Right

-Unselfish

-Nice

-Not fat

BAD:

-Wrong

-Selfish

-Jerk

-Fat

see?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Hubert Farnham taught me that there's no such thing as true altruism and that even if what you're doing appears altruistic it's easier than the alternative or you have ulterior motives.

I agree, everything we do is self interested.

Theres a great story about Abraham Lincoln and another guy talking about altruism, and Lincoln makes some great points, I just can't find the story. :">

Now, one could say that nothing is in fact right or wrong, it simply is, humans on the other hand, have, throughout the centuries, added a certain generalized viewpoint to the whole drama, dreadful thing really.

Yes man trys to make meaning out of everything he can, its in our nature. It helps ius survive, mentally and physically. It creted religion and science, and it helped create books, music, philosophy ect... all the intellectual pleasures. :wub:

Edited by WITHTEETH

Myspace Website!

My rig

Are you guys being facetious?

You go on ahead and use that thesauraus of yours but we just like to call it trolling around here, Mr. Fancypants

:wub:"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I'd take a good **** with a primordial whore before all that junk.

You see, humans come and humans go, but pleasure, the deepest carnal pleasure, that's eternal, part of the fabric of the universe.

But any imbecile can take pleasure in primitive pleasures, I'm going to have to say some pleasures are better then others. The intellectual pleasures are top contenders to me.

For instance, the pleasure of finding joy in others being happy is a great quality. Ever see elders curmudgeonly gripe about the world over and over? That might be because they are past their prime and are unable to take pleasure in some of the primitive pleasures(sex) so they tend to gripe more since they are low on their choices of pleasures out there. They haven't found a way to find joy through others.

Edited by WITHTEETH

Myspace Website!

My rig

It's not wrong to be selfish, but it is wrong to be completely selfish. It's also wrong to be the exact opposite, selfless to a point where you suffer because your own needs aren't being met. Have to maintain that balance...

2 cents.

Edited by LoneWolf16

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Being selfish is wrong, since inherently you totally suck.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Hah!

Pleasure is pleasure, the way one achieve's it is hardly important.

Intellectual pleasures are for people who could never grasp that self-experience is 1000 times more powerful than simple observation or understanding.

A man ****ed to death by a horse is, to me, the epitome of the human condition. The man loves it, the horse doesn't care, the horse is a simple vessel, a machine, but the man cares about his toy, he even, with his final breath, asks if the horse had culminated its onslaught.

That is art, that is pleasure, everything else pales in comparison to the man that gave his life to achieve that one moment of perfect euphoria.

:huh:

There's a 100-foot pole around here somewhere and I sure as hell won't pick it up to prod that thing.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast