Yet another vid card thread

Enoch

When I got a new computer case (on my birthday, exactly one week ago) I moved everything from my old case to the new one and installed a new GPU and soundcard. That was the first time I ever installed a motherboard for myself. I have, however, built other people's computers from the ground up. It's funny that I think it's much more stressing to build my own computer than others. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Congrats! And no. :D

Installing RAM is pretty hard to. Always a combination of push hard and be gentle.

Oh, I can do RAM too :blink:

the only thing I wont attempt is a power supply and a motherboard/CPU

Sticking the motherboard in the case is easy, and plugging the CPU in is just like Lego. Seating the fan and getting an even coat of thermal paste over the top of the processor is a little bit harder, but if you have basic motor skills, a steady hand, and patience, you should be okay.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

mkreku, I for one do think it harder to build other peoples PC's. Then i would think I'd have to deal with their every petty problems. Not to mention, what if I can't get it up and running right away? There could be hardware issues with the product out of the box, and their outta luck brearthing down the builders neck. I just say its a hobby i particularly like to enjoy, and I'd like ot keep it that way :D

More power to you mkreku!

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

RAM is easy, just shove it in the slots, it will be fine.

I wish I had the money to build another computer, I really enjoy building them.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Installing RAM is pretty hard to. Always a combination of push hard and be gentle.

Oh, I can do RAM too :p

the only thing I wont attempt is a power supply and a motherboard/CPU

Sticking the motherboard in the case is easy, and plugging the CPU in is just like Lego. Seating the fan and getting an even coat of thermal paste over the top of the processor is a little bit harder, but if you have basic motor skills, a steady hand, and patience, you should be okay.

Thanks for the info :)

P180.jpg

[/bragging]

It looks like a fridge. :thumbsup:

Still it looks nice. I'm jealous :thumbsup:

HK47: Commentary: It is not possible to destroy the master. It is suggested that you run while my blasters warm, meatbags.

Bastila to Revan: You are easily the vainest, most arrogant man I have ever met!

Canderous to Bastila: Insults? Maybe if your master had trained your lightsaber to be as quick as your tongue you could have escaped those Vulkars, you spoiled little Jedi princess!

About vid cards; could mine be causing this recurring error? It's prevalenet in almost every game of mine. Notably the newer ones. Sure it differs a bit in every instance, but fragmentation and shadow stretching happens every time. Sometimes it crashes Windows to restart. The longer I play the more numerous the problems.

V

post-9032-1144752955_thumb.jpg

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

About vid cards; could mine be causing this recurring error? It's prevalenet in almost every game of mine. Notably the newer ones. Sure it differs a bit in every instance, but fragmentation and shadow stretching happens every time. Sometimes it crashes Windows to restart. The longer I play the more numerous the problems.

I used to have this problem with my 6600GT while playing HL2. However, in my case it seemed to be completely random. I don't believe my card was overheating. My best guess was that either some pipes in the GPU or some of the memory modules were buggy and couldn't take the high clock speeds. Eventually my card blew up. I don't know if the blowing up had anything to do with this problem, though.

It looks like a fridge. :thumbsup:

It's about the same size too. It's huge!

But I like the clean look of it. I think it's awesome.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Do you have a link regarding that case, mkreku? It looks rather spiffy... does it have any special features?

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=81800#

It has a LOT of special features. The best part is that it has two different spaces for the PSU/HD's and motherboard/CPU. There's a huge fan supplying the lower part (PSU/HD's) of the case with cooling, and TWO huge fans supplying the bigger, upper part (motherboard/CPU) with lots of cooling. It's also built in aluminum, with three layered sides and plates everywhere, seriously reducing the sound levels from the fans.

The HD's are fastened on silicone "pillows", which hinders vibration noises from transplanting through the chassis. It's perfect for those noisy Raptor drives. It's also very robust and cleverly built, with a lot of nice touches everywhere. It feels well thought-out.

I used to have this problem with my 6600GT while playing HL2. However, in my case it seemed to be completely random. I don't believe my card was overheating. My best guess was that either some pipes in the GPU or some of the memory modules were buggy and couldn't take the high clock speeds. Eventually my card blew up. I don't know if the blowing up had anything to do with this problem, though.

Hmm, thanks I guess. :luck:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Do you have a link regarding that case, mkreku? It looks rather spiffy... does it have any special features?

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=81800#

It has a LOT of special features. The best part is that it has two different spaces for the PSU/HD's and motherboard/CPU. There's a huge fan supplying the lower part (PSU/HD's) of the case with cooling, and TWO huge fans supplying the bigger, upper part (motherboard/CPU) with lots of cooling. It's also built in aluminum, with three layered sides and plates everywhere, seriously reducing the sound levels from the fans.

The HD's are fastened on silicone "pillows", which hinders vibration noises from transplanting through the chassis. It's perfect for those noisy Raptor drives. It's also very robust and cleverly built, with a lot of nice touches everywhere. It feels well thought-out.

Custom PC just did a lab test on cases, and the Antec came out best for heating. (They used a temperature-controlled chassis-testing chamber from Intel's Platform Engineering Department, together with a

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Mus?, I got that a few times when I was playing Bioware's KotOR for more than ten hours straight: those sort of artifacts seem to be more memory related, rather than heat. (Once I rebooted it was fine.)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Custom PC just did a lab test on cases, and the Antec came out best for heating. (They used a temperature-controlled chassis-testing chamber from Intel's Platform Engineering Department, together with a

That review is about a year old, the one from this month isn't posted yet.

From this month's review:

We were doubtful that the small intakes of the sides of the front panel would allow the P180 to breathe properly, but thanks to the powerful 38mm-deep fan, the P180 proved to be one of the coolest running cases. Even with all three fans set to the medium speed setting, the CPU temperature peaked at 74

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I had trouble with Aliens Vs Predator on my last PC. I assume the video card (FX5200) wasn't supported. I'd like to play it on my new system just so I can finish the damn thing.Is this a fixable problem?

post-13098-1144780889_thumb.jpg

master of my domain

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.

Is it...too dark? That's a feature, you know?

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

It is a bit dark, isn't it? I meant the graphics juddering, like if you turn round the part of the screen you were looking at gets dragged along, blocking your view. Look at the far wall, you should see what I mean.

master of my domain

Probably drivers. The system's waaaay above recommended spec. I just tried installing it on this machine and it freezes as soon as I start the mission. Strange, it worked fine on the old Voodoo3.

master of my domain

There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that suggests rolling back to older drivers may help. (Not sure why, maybe some of the improvments assume new methods for pixel shading/mapping, and these aren't compatible with the older methods.)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT