Star Rangers II ships to NA

Llyranor

Direct2Drive policy:

Your purchase stays in our records, so you can download and re-install your game anytime in the event of a hard drive crash. Of course, you can always back up your downloaded game to a CD as well - each time you install your game, our digital-rights management server will check the number of active licenses you have (the number of copies you are allowed to run at the same time.) Don't worry - if you ever have any trouble activating your license or downloading your game again, our customer support team is always here to help you out.

http://www.direct2drive.com/staticpage.aspx?topic=about

I just bought the game :D

And what if their servers fail or go out of business? How do you download and reinstall the game then?

Snip

I install the game then put the disc back in its packaging.  Get a No CD patch and plug it in.

Snip

Funny. For a "No CD" file, the word "patch" is rarely used... :blink:"

I do the same thing by the way. It also saves some performance since the computer doesn't need to start spinning up the disk drive every few minutes and this also avoids lag in some cases.

That doesn't make any sense at all, as most games just require the CD in the drive when loading the game.

I install the game then put the disc back in its packaging. Get a No CD patch and plug it in.

No need to have the disc in the machine and its nice and safe in a secure location in case I need to do a reinstall.

Errr, that wasn't the point.

I do the same thing by the way. It also saves some performance since the computer doesn't need to start spinning up the disk drive every few minutes and this also avoids lag in some cases.

I can quite literally play any of my current batch of games without the CD in the drive, as long as I have it in while loading. So I'm thinking people are overstating the issue about the computer needing to start spinning every few minutes.

Some games may require it, but in my own experience many (most?) do not.

Edited by alanschu

I need my games to last for a few months. If I try and play a game a few years later and it doesn't work, I'm just not upset. Chances are, if I'm digging out an old game, I'm just looking for a diversion. There are plenty of other diversions available, so I'll just find something else.

Fair enough. Which is not something you require a CD for. It sounds like if a digital distribution company that you bought a game from goes belly up a few years later, it won't likely bother you.

I need my games to last for a few months.  If I try and play a game a few years later and it doesn't work, I'm just not upset.  Chances are, if I'm digging out an old game, I'm just looking for a diversion.  There are plenty of other diversions available, so I'll just find something else.

Not everyone is you though :p

some people enjoy playing their old games :)

:-

I played a hockey game once... mutant league hockey.. but still  :ph34r:

HAHAHAHA

I loved that game!

Machete wielding goalies. Fans throwing chainsaws on the ice! 2 Minutes for fighting, 5 minutes for fighting and losing.

And faceoffs? Well, those were just opportunities for you to punch the other guy, not win the faceoff!

Yeah, but I always played it against friends, never the CPU. So that probably gave it a bit of extra spunk as we trash talked each other.

It did get boring though, as after a while I realized the best way to win the game was to get the chainsaw and the puck...the AI defenders would always rush me, and I'd just chop them all up and get the forfeit.

Still good fun though :)