Favorite villian

Calax

I've got some cool other villains... guess who?

-they're from a movie

-they're 3 vampires

-interview with... the ....vampire !!

1st =>Tom cruise as:vamp. Lestat

sec. =>Brad pitt as:Louis

third=>Kirsten Dunst as:Claudia

and, (later on in the movie) Antonio Banderas as: armand

And of course, all the guys from PULP FICTION !!!!!

This is really one of the best films I've seen!!

Dadeem

Are you raising a point of interest due to the cybernetic nature of HAL 9000, or because it (he) was actually doing what it (he) thought was right ... the first objection would invalidate Shodan, the second would invalidate an awful lot of villainous characters, in literature and real life. E.g. I could mount a pretty convincing argument that Hitler was "just doing what he thought was right" for the German people (apart from the small matter of genocide, of course).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I really like V too (from "v for vendetta")

Even though the movie was a pretty poor translation of the graphic novel...

V WAS NOT A ****ING VILLAIN YOU [have got that wrong, he was an ANTI-HERO]!

Thank you.

Even Alan Moore disagrees with you there. Book 1, chapter 1 in V for Vendetta is called "The Villain" and introduces V.

:huh:

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Your reasoning is stupid. I haven't read the comics, but if the movie is any indication it would be called "The Villain" because that's how the Government constantly mentions him to the people.

If you read the introduction by Alan Moore to the Trade Paperback, you'll see that what I just mentioned is what he himself writes.

And V sees himself as a villain in the story; that's why he doesn't believe he's worthy to see the future he's orchestrated

I don't believe my reasoning is "stupid", even if you disagree.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The very existence of that sentence implies that V is not a villain. Otherwise, it would have been said "V is a villain" instead of "V sees himself as a villain". Your 'proof' supports my arguement that he is in fact not a villain. Though the reasoning behind it is different (and, like I made clear, mine was pure conjecture because I haven't read the comics).

Edited by TrueNeutral

The very existence of that sentence implies that V is not a villain. Otherwise, it would have been said "V is a villain" instead of "V sees himself as a villain". Your 'proof' supports my arguement that he is in fact not a villain. Though the reasoning behind it is different (and, like I made clear, mine was pure conjecture because I haven't read the comics).

All I'm arguing against is the idea that V *can't be* a villain (which was the post I replied to making that very point in my apparently easy to misconstrue way). The author sees him as interpretable as a villain, the character sees himself as a villain, ergo I think you can make a strong case that he is, in fact, a villain and not the dreaded (IMO) "Anti-Hero".

The nice thing about V - and this I agree with - that you can make a case that V is as much hero as villain, which is I think part of the point of the story. But I don't think that its clear-cut and if someone wants to determine V to be a villain than I support them in that, just as I would someone if they decided to say he was a hero.

Or something.

Edited by Amentep