First FFXII review

The scans from Famitsu magazine(Japan's largest gaming-mag) are around the 'net. Search them yourself.

Anyway the score is a perfect 10 = 10/10/10/10 from all four reviewers. Which is pretty impressive, since:

1) It's the first Final Fantasy to do so.

2) Only 5 games in the magazine's history has managed to get the same score:

- Ocarina of Time

- Vagrant Story

- Soul Calibur

- The Wind Waker

- Nintendogs

And now, FFXII is the sixth. What was the european releasedate again?

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Single player. Totally revamped combat system. Huge ammount of freedom to go where ever you like. Needless to say it's been on my preorder list for like ever :)

oh yes release date :">

http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/produc...nal_fantasy_xii

80 days till release should be pretty accurate.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0
I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I take it this is just for the PS? No PC version? (SP: your release date is a month after the one at Play.com. ?)

There could be a PC version, it's very doutful.

I'm kind of suprised it got such a good review...

Huge ammount of freedom to go where ever you like

You know this for sure? I would buy this game in an instant if I knew Square atleast attempting to recreate the feel of it's older games... I would lose complete faith in SE is FFXII was another FFX in terms of difficulty and gameplay.

... anyways, I'm glad it's not a so horrible atleast.

Single player. Totally revamped combat system. Huge ammount of freedom to go where ever you like. Needless to say it's been on my preorder list for like ever :)

Sounds like Oblivion...

No , different kind of freedom. By going where you want I mean map locations(since on of peoples major complaints about JRPGs are linearity).

Not huge open expanses of nothingness ala Morrowind etc.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I take it this is just for the PS? No PC version? (SP: your release date is a month after the one at Play.com. ?)

I noticed. Hope yours turns out to be correct :lol:

Maybe that is your particular release date ... and mine is better than yours? :)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Maybe that is your particular release date ... and mine is better than yours? :)

Well it's gameplays release date where I buy most of my new stuff. But if someone else gets it first I'll buy it from there.

478327[/snapback]

No , different kind of freedom. By going where you want I mean map locations(since on of peoples major complaints about JRPGs are linearity).

Not huge open expanses of nothingness ala Morrowind etc.

Sounds like the Kotor's. Hefty linear with a false taste of freedom added to it...

Sounds like the Kotor's. Hefty linear with a false taste of freedom added to it...

Very similiar although more locations to choose from.

It's not really false freedom since KOTOR required that you visit each planet anyway it was a case of which order. FF is more about finding things.

Pre scaling issues (FFX) there was a lot more of the morrowind type freedom. Although since you were in a very fast mode of transport you could be across the world in under a minute.

478327[/snapback]

Baldur's Gate like Freedom?

Not really because Baldurs gate was a series of maps linked by a static world map.

The world map in the FF games I'm talking about is a big open map which wraps around (like flying around the world) and it's all done in real time.

FFX and FFX-2 would be very similiar to how Baldurs gate works.

478327[/snapback]

Japanese magazine gives a JRPG high score. What a surprise.

I say it again, it's the first time Famitsu gives a Final Fantasy-game such a high score. Look again at the other ones with a similar score. Find any JRPG's?

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy