Not the party of the century

Cantousent

Yes, as scheduled, my wife and I celebrated our anniversary in Las Vegas on February. Our anniversary falls on February 17, but we chose to have our little party on the 19th. My brother-in-law (and brother-in-spirit, if I might add) is a photographer in Las Vegas, so he took pictures for the event and was gracious enough to host them for me.

I don't have all the pictures as some folks were there early and left before dinner. The pictures I do have show most of the folks who arrived in costume. There are some camera shy folks who didn't make it into the pictures, but I'm brave enough to put my ugly mug on display if you're brave enough to take a peek.

Anyhow, here are a couple from one of the guests:

That's my wife, my sister, and me. My wife is standing on the left side of the picture and my sister is to the right. You can guess which one is me. Unfortunately, my wife hates getting her picture taken, so there weren't many of her from this camera.

Here's one of my wife and me. I'm sure you can tell us apart. Yes, that is actual mead I am drinking. I drank three bottles of the stuff. It's deceptively sweet, but its alcohol content is greater than beer. Of course, I couldn't hurt any feelings, so I sampled beer and ale as well. By the middle of the evening, I was singing Nessun Dorma.

Here's one of the banners we used. We had a variety of different banners: unicorn, dragon, lion, knight, griffon, and war elephant.

Following are a few pictures in which I show my skill with a plastic crossbow armed with suction cup bolts.

Here's a link to a whole slew of pictures.

http://members.cox.net/digitalrealm/index.shtml

I especially like all the food. We went simple for most of the event, but my sisters went all out on the food. We had authentic Renaissance fare complete with recipe cards, some of which were written in Elizabethan and Middle English. Anyhow, that's pretty much it. Feel free to mock, praise, post, provide similar pictures, otherwise participate, or even ignore this little thread.

:Eldar's glad to celebrate his anniversary with his online friends icon:

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Sorry, it's the tenth. That's aluminum foil or tin. So, one of the guests, who didn't make it into the pictures, bought us an aluminum pizza pan and a tin of sardines. doofus. :D

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I bet you couldn't catch the ninjas on camera because they were so awesome.

Needs more pictures of food though. Especially the cliche of the medieval men with barbaric manners tearing huge chunks of meat straight off the leg with their teeth!

Spreading beauty with my katana.

Yes, as scheduled, my wife and I celebrated our anniversary in Las Vegas on February.  Our anniversary falls on February 17, but we chose to have our little party on the 19th.  My brother-in-law (and brother-in-spirit, if I might add) is a photographer in Las Vegas, so he took pictures for the event and was gracious enough to host them for me.

I don't have all the pictures as some folks were there early and left before dinner.  The pictures I do have show most of the folks who arrived in costume.  There are some camera shy folks who didn't make it into the pictures, but I'm brave enough to put my ugly mug on display if you're brave enough to take a peek.

Anyhow, here are a couple from one of the guests:

That's my wife, my sister, and me.  My wife is standing on the left side of the picture and my sister is to the right.  You can guess which one is me.  Unfortunately, my wife hates getting her picture taken, so there weren't many of her from this camera.

:Eldar's glad to celebrate his anniversary with his online friends icon:

and you dismissed our suggestion to go as The King as silly? ironic, no?

in any event, congrats on the anniversary.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Felicitous congratulations, Eldar; they look like happy people.

Wasn't mead used as "daily bread"? That was how John Snow deduced that cholera was a water-bourne microbe, because everyone in Soho in 1854 caught it from the well, except those working at the brewery, because the brewing process actually sterilises the water.

But why did you dress up as Fred Flintstone at a medieval banquet? :wub:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I got invited to a mediaeval banquet a few years ago. Great hunks of meat, and surprisingly spiced food, with all the cloves and such. Served on bread trenchers. We drank mead, and ale from goatskins. And there was singing.

But no sleeping it off on straw pallises, thankfully.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Let me tell you something about that damned crown. I hated it. I tend to run hot all the time, and the crown was making my head sweat something fierce. Also, the Burger King irony didn't escape me. I'd been telling the guests about the Burger King suggestion all day.

Mead is wine made with honey instead of grapes. It can be brewed or not, depending on personal preference. In either case, mead has a higher alcohol content and a pH level, and so, brewed or not, it tends to be resistant to bacteria. Still, brewing is even better. Nothing like boiling the water to hedge your bets.

Between that stupid crown, the wonderful beverages, and running around in the cat ladies curtains, I was hotter than hell. I didn't mind being flushed, though. heh heh heh

Obsidian Plays

Looks like a good time was had by all, congrats to Eldar and his main squeeze.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I especially like all the food.  We went simple for most of the event, but my sisters went all out on the food.  We had authentic Renaissance fare...

Food fit for a king? I hope you avoided stale breads, unspiced beans and mystery porridges. :)

Thanks for sharing. Congratulations.

Many thanks. :D

Also, meta, mead can be brewed, but it can be made like wine. I daresay, the mead you can most easily access is, literally, honey wine. This might be a simple matter of misunderstanding or semantics, as it can be made in the process of making wine even if you'd like to drop it in a separate category. I like wikipedia, but I don't buy the answer.

Often, the label on mead itself carries the words "honey wine" on it. So, because someone wants to create a frivolous distinction, I'm going to ammend my statements, which are acurate at any rate? Nonsense, you yutz. The mead I had was not brewed, which is an answer to your first post. However, it is still quite resistant to bacteria, so you would have done better to drink mead in many places than the local water supply. Brewed mead, however, is probably even better, but we're best served by anyone with a biomed background to answer that particular question.

Obsidian Plays

What prompted me to check it up, you yutz (congrats to you and your lady) is that I've never heard mead being referred to as honeyed wine! As far as I was aware, mead is just honeyed beer. Don't recall off hand if I have ever had any. Pretty sure the Egyptians used to give it to the Pyramid builders (who were not slaves, but well paid, well looked after and and well fed on seafood and meat according to remains).

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Let's not lose sight of the important fact. mkreku thinks he's more normal than I am. hahahaha j/k, you lovable Swede.

Haven't you even considered going to a Renaissance party? Maybe a faire? It's a great way to get all sweaty in a hot costume tromping through clouds of dust while chomping on a toad-in-a-hole.

Obsidian Plays

Let's not lose sight of the important fact.  mkreku thinks he's more normal than I am.  hahahaha  j/k, you lovable Swede.

Haven't you even considered going to a Renaissance party?  Maybe a faire?  It's a great way to get all sweaty in a hot costume tromping through clouds of dust while chomping on a toad-in-a-hole.

I did all my raving over a decade ago.

I still don't know why you were wearing the Fred Flintstone outfit ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Hey, I've gained a little weight over the years, but I didn't really look like Fred Flintstone did I? Ah, that's my all time favorite cartoon, so no biggie. At least you didn't say I looked like Dino.

Obsidian Plays