FPS News - Red Orchestra: Ostfront

Llyranor

Reading about RO's features make me drool(realistic tank battles = orgasmic), reading a Bethesda designer dismiss implementing deeper story elements and roleplaying as "thats never going to happen in a Bethesda game because thats not what we do well" aswellas as hearing that they removed player dialouges make me cringe.

I mean, Ive got two boxes in front of me. One is labeled "chocolate cookies" and the other one "lukewarm pus", which one am I going to pick? Sure, lukewarm pus might be a treat, but odds are that it isnt.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

reading a Bethesda designer dismiss implementing deeper story elements and roleplaying

This an actual fact?

If so... The little bit of interested I had in Oblivion is officially gone.

@ Topic -

3 more days, hurray!

So is this like Battlefield? Does it support widescreen? I stopped playing BF2 because it did not support widescreen.

Battlefield 2 is in no way realistic... Tactical at times (when you aren't playing with complete morons) but not realistic. Which is what RO is aim at.

Edited by Haitoku

Id also like to add, for all honesty, that Im heavily biased towards Bethesda and their TES series. That doesnt necessarily mean Im wrong though.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

ROFL, do you even read what the Bethesda devs write? Oblivion is first and foremost a dungeon romp, and they're not trying to deny it. Meh.

Game is unlocked on Steam. Game time.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

This is a really dumb question but I have a cold and my brain isnt working properly, this IS a standalone game right? I dont need Hl2 or anything to play it?

At 25$ Im very tempted to buy it although I dont like to buy games untested. Especially FPS games where small details might ruin it for me.

One thing BF2 spoilt me with was the excellent response of the weapons, Id click the mouse 4 times, Itd shoot four times.. Id hold the trigger for 0.6seconds it would fire 2 shots, 08sec and it would fire 3 etc.

Im playing the new R6 game and I cant use the single-fire mode because I get so frustrated that I have no control over the round fired. I click my mouse 8 times, it might fire 4-5 shots. If this game had similar gun-lag then I would ..not be pleased

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

I'm not always keen on super realistic games. On the other hand, I can see some potential in this release. I'll be looking to see what you board monkies have to say on the subject.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

In short, it's pretty much what I expected out of it o:) I've played what, about 7 hrs today? I'd play more if I didn't need to wake up tomorrow :(

If you're not sure what kind of game RO is just from reading about it, here are a few impressions. You're better off trying out the demo as well (not yet released), because this game is NOT for everyone. Also, there is a rather steep learning curve (I pretty needed those couple of hours to get used to the game).

Realism in and of itself means nothing, of course. The point here is for the realism to promote tactical teamplay, real-life tactics - THEN it becomes relevant. This means flanking, suppressing, keeping your bloody head down when you're being pinned down by a MG. This is war. If someone's running around in an open field with no regard for their own safety, it's open season on them - they WILL go down. If you want to circlestrafe while bunnyhopping in style and roleplay Rambo, you will NOT like this game.

The keyword is teamwork. This requires proper coordination and communication. The game, of course, has its own built-in VoIP feature (public, team, and local team channels). Instead of just listing features, I'll just give an example.

Final objective, Soviet mission. We were to take control of a particular tower in a city, which was pretty well defended by the Germans. There were two main streets linking to that tower, East and North. In-btw, there was another building, with a balcony with a view on that tower as well. Throughout the streets were all kinds of cover. Sandbags, pillars, and so on. I myself was handling a rifle. We were split in three teams, each set to cover each of the important spots for assaulting the tower. The balcony team was pretty much tasked with providing suppressive fire (which also causes blurring to the target) and to try to take out anyone on the top level of the tower - usually a sniper or a MG. The Northern team was pretty much at a standstill with the tower, unable to advance, under heavy fire. We (Eastern) were pretty much in the same situation. With some of the rifledudes and the MG providing us with cover, some of us crawled our way behind the sandbags into a better position. I take a peak. Pow. My rifle flies off. A enemy rifleman was looking over the area and spotted me in that split second. He shot, but luckily it hit my weapon (which flew off), but I was alive. I saw his exact location, though.

"Mr. X, enemy behind sandbag about 20 meters north of you."

"Preparing a grenade, prepare to fire when I count to 5."

At 5, a few grenades are thrown in that vicinity, we all pop up at the same time and start blasting. The other teams are doing the same. Trying to run away from the grenade, most of the enemies at the frontline get exposed and go down. We move out and secure the area. Some enemy reinforcements are coming, but we keep them at bay. I lean to the side of a pillar, minimizing my exposure, REST MY RIFLE ON THE PILLAR TO STABILIZE IT, and pow a few.

"Looks like we have a chance now. Attach your bayonets. We CHAAAAAAAAAARGE!"

"FOR MOTHER RUSSIA!!!!!!"

While the balcony team picks off the remaining opposition, the rest of us assault the tower interior. The last remaining Germans inside, of course, blow us all up with grenades :(

That tower battle probably took about 10 min. A very cool firefight, that. Some people don't like the 'realism', but I enjoy crawling through that wheat field, shots that actually turn out to be fatal for the majority, aiming that isn't very plausible when you're off running around. Combine that with proper teamwork, and the tactical gameplay can be very satisfying. Not a good simple run & gun experience, though. It'd just be frustrating if you like that type of gaming more.

13 maps, 3 types of maps - infantry, tanks, or combined arms.

Tanks are, quite simply, awesomeness-driven. If anything, they really emphasize how crucial teamwork is.

Me and another guy jump inside a IS-2 (Soviet tank). I'm the driver, he's the gunner/commander. This isn't something you can just look at in third person and play in arcade mode. The view of each individual crew member is pretty limited. As the driver, I have a little slit at the front. I can open the hatch and pop my head out to look around, but that exposes me to small-arms fire. The gunner has his little gun sight, or he can pop his head out as well (tank commanders also have binoculars - and they can call artillery strikes from them too). Some tanks also have a 3rd place for a MG gunner, which also has a pretty limited field of view. Because of this, it's crucial that the crew members work together and with the other tanks in order to succeed.

Tank map. Three objectives. A village to the east, a hill to the north, a farm to the south. Soviet side has to defend all 3. Our tank first goes to the village. I'm driving at full speed, recklessly with the hatch open to get a good view of everything. As we get closer to possible enemy territory, I pop back inside, and we remain vigilent. Still full speed ahead.

"Whoa, stop."

"What?"

"Enemy spotted at 9 o'clock, side exposed. Approx 400 meters."

It takes a few seconds to stabilize the tank into full stop.

"Alright, I have a clean shot."

Direct hit (after proper adjustments of the gunsights, since the game features real BALLISTICS). The enemy tank starts smoking. It's also turning towards us. While the gunner is reloading, I'm repositioning the tank so that our front is exposed, but slightly tilted to maximize deflection. It fires, deflected. The gunner takes another shot and the tank goes out.

Before we know it, bam, we get it, tank starts smoking.

"What the crap hit us?"

"I don't know."

I move back, turn around to see a potential enemy. Nothing.

"Wait, there! 2 o'clock! Tiger!"

"Oh. Crap."

While the gunner is still reloading, I take that time to retreat, pulling us behind a house in the village, separating us from the Tiger.

I open the map, checking coordinates. I switch from local to team VoIP.

"Enemy Tiger spotted at Echo 6, facing East. Requesting backup."

"I'm at Hill X, location Delta 5, roger that," someone answers.

Meanwhile, our job is to keep the Tiger distracted, and keep it focused on us, so that its side/rear get exposed to the allied tank. I drive a bit past the house, gunner takes a pot shot, and we fall back. The Tiger gives chase.

Bam.

"Uh-oh. We're stuck."

"YOU HIT A FREAKING TREE!"

"What kind of horrific tree is this?????"

Tiger closes in, gunner prepares to fire one last desperation shot at the Tiger (which is facing us frontally). Then boom. Tiger goes out. Our allies came in time.

I'm giving out pretty isolated examples, but bear in mind that there's a whole battlefield going on during all this. Very hectic. Very cool game. Llyranor seal of approval.

The WW2 setting fits the game well. Archaic tanks make for more fun gaming, where you have to rely on your instincts more than on the computer or whatever. Weapons are more 'balanced' as well, in the sense that if you want range, your rate of fire will be horrible. Or if you have rate of fire, then your range will be horrible. Or if you have both, you'll be immobile. "our goal was not to make you feel like you have watched a war movie, but that you have been to war." Hey, worked for me.

Of course, it really depends who you're playing with, as well. This is why I stick to proven tactical servers (I personally use the TacticalGamer ones).

And, actually, I should use FRAPS and take some gameplay footage. That'll give a better impression than anything I could describe.

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

This game sounds like a dream and Ive got my credit card right here and a line fast enough to have the game here in 30min...

*ponders*

Think Operation Flashpoint.

Also, it looks like the CS kiddies are quickly jumping ship. All the new 'where are the crosshairs????' 'the graphics are crap!!!!' threads on the official boards were pretty much expected :D

Hadescopy.jpg

The only reason I can think of not to buy it now is that since its only available for sale in NA, there might not be enough euro servers to play on and high-ping is bad :(

Oh, I went ahead and bought it anyway. Annoyingly, its downloading at a speed that will take hours before its complete..

AND since Im a dirty swede they have to be all legal and force me to pay tax so I had to pay $31 for it

I finally downloaded and installed it but the list of key bindings in the controls menu is not complete. By just trial and error I found that Q and E controls the distance settings for the cannon in a tank but I still havent figured out how to open hatches or "to press your head against the viewport for a better view" as the manual says you can do in some vehicles.