What is your favorite music?

Lancer

All this talk about rap not being music, sucking, or some combination thereof has got me wanting to start this thread. I want to see where this goes. Although from a forum of this nature, I am pretty sure that the most common response will be some variation of rock (classic, heavy metal, alternative, grunge..etc) but ..hey.. let's just see what happens.

For me my favorite music is obviously "rap" with latin (merengue) being a close second. So what is everyone's favorite music?

And I know roshan before you say anything.. You think "rap is crap."

image002.gifLancer

i'm in music limbo right now

but i think i am more of an alternative guy, everything is so bland right now however >_<

I agree. I really loved the alternative scene (Smashing Pumpkins, Offspring, Alanis Morrissette..etc) back in the mid-to late '90's but I am indifferent to what is out now.

Edited by Lancer

image002.gifLancer

R&B like TLC and Destiny's Child.

Rock/Pop like Pink and All Saints (some of their tracks are rock/pop)

EDIT: Right now I'm listening to the All Saints 'Pure Shores' remix from their All Hits album.

That's right. R&B is cool too. Rap, merengue, and R&B would wrap up the top three for me.

image002.gifLancer

The music kind.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Rap isn't music, it's a form of saying stuff. Might even call it poetry. Hiphop is the name of the music style you're looking for. At least it is supposed to be a music style. Nowadays it's mostly "badass gangstas" trying to top the previous hasbeen in dirty talk and to break the record of curse words in one track. Modern day R&B is incredibly lame as well. In fact, anything that requires tough talk, golden chains and watches, and scantly clad women in their clips just to sell (and even then only to 14-year-olds) doesn't deserve to be heard. Not by my ears at least.

It really is a testament to the US' conservativeness (and conformity), if you take a look at their music. Half the scene is dominated by hiphop and R&B. All other styles have to fight just to survive, because most Americans won't even consider listening to anything else. The only style that still has a slight chance is perhaps rock. Stuff like electronic music, which is by far my favourite kind of music, doesn't even get a consideration. Artists like Basement Jaxx, Faithless, even the Chemical Brothers are way too unpopular in the States. They deserve much more attention, as they're a billion times more talented than your 50 Cents and J-Lo's. Then again, the way Americans are headed with their musical tastes, maybe it's rather them that don't deserve those artists.

Edited by Pope

Rap isn't music, it's a form of saying stuff. Might even call it poetry. Hiphop is the name of the music style you're looking for. At least it is supposed to be a music style. Nowadays it's mostly "badass gangstas" trying to top the previous hasbeen in dirty talk and to break the record of curse words in one track. Modern day R&B is incredibly lame as well. In fact, anything that requires tough talk, golden chains and watches, and scantly clad women in their clips just to sell (and even then only to 14-year-olds) doesn't deserve to be heard. Not by my ears at least.

It really is a testament to the US' conservativeness (and conformity), if you take a look at their music. Half the scene is dominated by hiphop and R&B. All other styles have to fight just to survive, because most Americans won't even consider listening to anything else. The only style that still has a slight chance is perhaps rock. Stuff like electronic music, which is by far my favourite kind of music, doesn't even get a consideration. Artists like Basement Jaxx, Faithless, even the Chemical Brothers are way too unpopular in the States. They deserve much more attention, as they're a billion times more talented than your 50 Cents and J-Lo's. Then again, the way Americans are heading with their musical tastes, maybe it's rather them who don't deserve those artists.

Someone here has something personal against Americans... :ermm:

image002.gifLancer

Someone here has something personal against Americans... :ermm:

Then you misunderstood me.

I have a problem with the general American conformity, though in no way I mean to say all Americans are like that.

Btw, gotta love the irony of the fact that the most culturally diverse country in the world practically only has ears for black music.

Edited by Pope

Look at me!

I'm a non-comformist!

Look!

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

It really is a testament to the US' conservativeness (and conformity), if you take a look at their music. Half the scene is dominated by hiphop and R&B. All other styles have to fight just to survive, because most Americans won't even consider listening to anything else. The only style that still has a slight chance is perhaps rock. Stuff like electronic music, which is by far my favourite kind of music, doesn't even get a consideration. Artists like Basement Jaxx, Faithless, even the Chemical Brothers are way too unpopular in the States. They deserve much more attention, as they're a billion times more talented than your 50 Cents and J-Lo's. Then again, the way Americans are headed with their musical tastes, maybe it's rather them that don't deserve those artists.

i love faithless and BT (you forgot Kaskade)

i use to have like 20 verisions of insomnia

Btw, gotta love the irony of the fact that the most culturally diverse country in the word practically only has ears for black music.

Then you really don't understand America or as ignorant as those "ignorant Americans" you belittle. There is a *huge* rock and latin scene in America in addition to rap and r&b. I would gander that the rock scene (heavy metal, alternative, grunge..etc), overall, is probably the largest. Country is also somewhat popular as well. If you think that the scene is dominated solely by rap and r&b you don't know much about America then. There are plenty of Americans that just can't stand rap.

image002.gifLancer

You can't really get mad at people for "going with the flow" because you don't know if they are just "going with the flow". Just because you like something that other people like, doesn't mean your are following the crowd.

You can't really get mad at people for "going with the flow" because you don't know if they are just "going with the flow".  Just because you like something that other people like, doesn't mean your are following the crowd.

But I agree with Pope in the sense that I think you should like something because you like it.. Not because it is in vogue or popular with everyone else.

image002.gifLancer

Btw, gotta love the irony of the fact that the most culturally diverse country in the word practically only has ears for black music.

Then you really don't understand America or as ignorant as those "ignorant Americans" you belittle. There is a *huge* rock and latin scene in America in addition to rap and r&b. I would gander that the rock scene (heavy metal, alternative, grunge..etc), overall, is probably the largest. Country is also somewhat popular as well. If you think that the scene is dominated solely by rap and r&b you don't know much about America then. There are plenty of Americans that just can't stand rap.

well its not like euro music isn't trance and electronica heavy, its all scenes right now all the music is blah blah blah

You can't really get mad at people for "going with the flow" because you don't know if they are just "going with the flow".  Just because you like something that other people like, doesn't mean your are following the crowd.

But I agree with Pope in the sense that I think you should like something because you like it.. Not because it is in vogue or popular with everyone else.

Yeah, I'm just saying that you should jump down peoples throats for liking something, with out actually knowing if they truly like it or not. He just depicts most Americans as "following the crowd".

I totally agree with everything you say (except for your comment about 14 year olds. It's true that most of my friends have a sucky taste in music, but not all of us are like that).

And just for the record; I don't like modern day music.

Yeah, I'm just saying that you should jump down peoples throats for liking something, with out actually knowing if they truly like it or not. He just depicts most Americans as "following the crowd".

He also thinks that most Americans listen to only "black music".. lol.. Sounds borderline racist to me and not to mention a gross over-generalization.

image002.gifLancer

I tried that...And just look at the responses I got! (check my sig).

Then you really don't understand America or as ignorant as those "ignorant Americans" you belittle. There is a *huge* rock and latin scene in America in addition to rap and r&b. I would gander that the rock scene (heavy metal, alternative, grunge..etc), overall, is probably the largest. Country is also somewhat popular as well. If you think that the scene is dominated solely by rap and r&b you don't know much about America then.

I mentioned rock. And even I, as a European, know that it definitely isn't the biggest scene in the US. But it probably is the only one that can still stand its own against all that black music. And please don't go calling me a racist now, it's just a term I use to describe hiphop and R&B.

Now it's your turn. You give me a logical explanation as to why styles such as ambient aren't even known where you're from.

There are plenty of Americans that just can't stand rap.

Never enough.

He also thinks that most Americans listen to only "black music".. lol.. Sounds borderline racist to me and not to mention a gross over-generalization.

Uh-oh...Guess what?

3d58edf5.gif

:ermm:

everyone trys so hard to be "unique" they worry to much about liking something that is popular.

i have more of an issue with the downturn in quality of music and egos that mainfiest from the artist that gain popularity. In a sense its only because you invest so much in that artist that when they become popular and change you feel forgoten or underappericated.