Jagged Alliance 2

alanschu

I did find a sound detector and a sweet SMG at the beginning.

I actually like the "drop all" because I was looking for intense realism.

I wasn't able to put my guy's stats all to 100 though, unless I used the external IMP utility.  But I could probably find one to do that in basic anyways.

You can now train all your mercs to 100 over the course of the game rather than being capped at 85.

The 1.13 mod is really a CQB mod since it really focuses on increasing the balance and difficulty of the tactical combat aspect of the game while mimimizing some of the gamey crpg aspects.

For example, if you play at either expert or insane difficulty with the drop all option and Bobb'y rays selection set to the best level, then the game loses any loot-hunt feel because everybody has access to all the best equipment and weapons right from the start of the game.

If you are really interested in realism there is a smaller CQB mod that basically makes the combat a one-hit-kill game.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

One-hit-kill is probably a bit too overkill. I like "realism" not realism if you know what I mean.

I wish there was a way to limit Bobby Ray's selection, as I think it'd be neat to have to survive mostly on the loot. I had the "drop all" though because I think it is silly in games when I kill a guy with a particular weapon that I think might be useful...but he doesn't drop it.

As for my game, I'm going to restart it. The airstrikes are a bit too much, and I think it takes away from the tactical aspect of the game. It seems every fight has me taking cover (i.e. running like a madman) to avoid the airstrike. And they come in too fast and too regularly. I don't think they'd be able to airstrike me within the first 5 minutes of combat every time. They must have an amazing airforce.

I do like that I don't need to go through the QA to get my skills though, and can just pick them when talking to IMP. I've played the game already so that's a bit less important. I did resist my urge to pick the camoflage trait though :ermm:

I once tried to solo the game with a night ops / stealth. Death incarnate with knives (had 4 at a time). Never fired a shoot. Well at least until to infiltrate the black commandos ****ing bases. Then i caved in and got that silenced russian rifle and picked up ira from training. Still I got mostly owned in corridors. Its mostly impossible to use knives for the alien scenario though (but the armor is very handy).

I've never played with the aliens.  The second I see Sci-Fi, I cringe and select Realistic.

And miss out on some fun tunnel fighting ? :)

It's pretty low key you know, a bunch of critters, that even fit decently into the main story, Deidranna doing some weird genetic research thing below underneath the bloodcat research facility.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Possibly  :-"

Tease :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Just an FYI: most people who like Jag 2 for its "realism" hate the aliens and never play with them.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Well, I enjoy them simply because its something else to do in the game, but I'm definitely in the minority with that view.

You don't really lose all that much by not having them. They are more of a "side-quest"" than anything else.

edit: they do make the game somewhat harder though, since they are pretty tough to get rid of, and they will eat into your mine income and town loyalty.

Edited by CrashGirl

I'm thinking on not going with Gus Tarballs for my power romp through the beginning though.

Yes, the 8 levels is awesome as he interrupts pretty much everyone. But damn I can't stand all the "Woody's"

Maybe I'll go for that dude with 6 levels, though I love Gus' gun.

I'm thinking on not going with Gus Tarballs for my power romp through the beginning though.

Yes, the 8 levels is awesome as he interrupts pretty much everyone.  But damn I can't stand all the "Woody's"

Maybe I'll go for that dude with 6 levels, though I love Gus' gun.

If you're playing 1.13 on either expert or insane and have Drop All turned on you'll have better guns than the H&K G41 by the time you take your second or third location.

Take Lynx instead. His mini-14 is decent for the early game.

It's been a looong time since I've played this game, but I could have sworn there was a way to see what everyone's special abilities were (like night ops and whatnot).

Where can I find this info?

IIRC, you can see that on your laptop under "Personnel".

Yeah, I had just come back to say I had found it ;)

In other news, the liberation of Arulco is going well!

I was able to find a rogue pilot and he has agreed to help out the team. I was able to hire Scope for a one week term, given the new incoming I'm getting from the Drassen mine that was liberated recently. From there, things slowed down. We probably should have pressed on harder, but we had to heal up and felt it prudent that we not lose our main base of operations....we trained up a very skilled milita squad.

My main squad consists of myself, Scope, Grizzly, Barry, MD, and Ira. I also hired up Gumpy because he's cheap and smart. Right now he's just looking after Drassen, training up militia as necessary and practicing his marksmanship.

The Northeast SAM Site has been neutralized, and the open airspace let us airdrop in right beside Alma. We went in under the cover of darkness into the Northeast section of town. It seems as though Diedranna is using this place as some sort of military stockyard...a great blow no doubt!

We had some wire cutters and were able to sneak in past the chainlink fence. I was able to sneak up on and eliminate one guard with an MP5-K with a silencer (thanks both Night Ops and Stealth :D). Very much to my pleasure, it turns out that he had a Dragunov sniper rifle...complete with scope and laser sight. Scope had acquired an SKS in the Special Ops raid of the SAM sight, so I happened to have appropriate ammo for that gun....hollow point to boot!

The soldiers we are fighting against don't seem to have much in the way of body armor, so I figured it would come in handy. And boy did it ever! I was able to snipe one sentry in the head with a single shot from one of the rooftops. Unfortunately, no one quite took the bait. But Grizzly, from the other rooftop, did notice that the guards at the gate had heard, and were prone looking in my direction. So I jumped off the east building, cut another hole in a chain link fence, and was able to flank the guard. I got up point blank, and fired a few quick shots into his head with my silenced SMG.

We could hear a ton of commotion below us, as Scope took up a position just to my left to cover my flank. Grizzly dropped down and opened a door. While he didn't see anyone, someone must have heard him and tried to cut him off. While he was inside people came swarming into the common area between the buildings. Between my rifle and Scope's SKS, it was pretty easy pickings. It was dark on top of the roof, so they couldn't really see us as we'd slink back into the shadows. A few guys tried to flank us, but Scope finished them off with a quick shot to their head. Things had now quieted down, and Grizzly offered to sweep the buildings given he has a Benelli M4 Super 90 shotgun with a duckbill on it....excellent close quarters stoppage. He was able to find the last guy and wound him with a few shots. When he took cover, things quieted down. Grizzly wondered if the wound was fatal, and went to investigate, with me providing cover from the opposite rooftop. As he peeked in the garage door the soldier lunged at him (surprised he didn't shoot Griz) and right when he got beside him, I finally had a clear line of sight and was able to finish the job with a clean shot to the head.

Unfortunately, I'm almost out of 7.62 WP Hollow Point bullets. I have more coming in from Bobby Ray's, but they won't be in until tomorrow and we should already have the town! On the other hand, we do have plenty of AP rounds which should stop guys in their tracks pretty effectively.

On the Merc front, not too much has happened. It turn out that Ivan Dolvich was KIA on another mission. Too bad, because I had heard good things about the Russian. I have left a message with Shadow, as I feel he'll be excellent for the organization. Now that we are procuring sniper rifles from the enemy, his camoflage and stealth would make a prime spotter...and his ability to handle himself if things get hectic will make things even better.

We got off to a bit of a slow start, but we should have Alma by the end of Day 14. With the influx of cash, there likely won't be much trouble hiring additional mercs to take care of militia duties either. We'll then move on to the central city.

Interesting! I came out from under the rock I was living in to realize that StrategyFirst has authorized a Jagged Alliance 3 (w00t)

I'll admit it, I cried myself to sleep the night (weeks) (months) when Jagged Alliance 3 was cancelled back in the day.

I wonder if it is possible to recreate whatever it was that made Jagged Alliance 2 so damn good in another game? I can't for the life of me figure out why I enjoy the tactical turn based combat in Jagged Alliance 2 but not in any other game I've ever played! It annoys me.

Let's hope they manage to find the magic again when they develop number three.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!