NHL

Fionavar

You're right Hurly, I totally forgot that SJ made it to what, the quarter finals a couple of years back.  Or was it the conference final?  Then afterwards the whole team went to management and said 'Keep us together and we'll bring the cup home'.  I won't mention what happened the next season. :ph34r:

It IS the next season...

Actually they lost Damphouse from that team, which is a major cog. Every good team needs a solid playmaker. I'd say they still have a very solid chance at competing for the cup but, like any team, they need a goalie to stay hot.

Anyways, I'm feeling rather fanboyish in this thread, but I can't help it. I'm way psyched up about the playoffs. It's going to be an awesome year.

You're right Hurly, I totally forgot that SJ made it to what, the quarter finals a couple of years back.  Or was it the conference final?  Then afterwards the whole team went to management and said 'Keep us together and we'll bring the cup home'.  I won't mention what happened the next season. :ph34r:

It IS the next season...

Actually they lost Damphouse from that team, which is a major cog. Every good team needs a solid playmaker. I'd say they still have a very solid chance at competing for the cup but, like any team, they need a goalie to stay hot.

Anyways, I'm feeling rather fanboyish in this thread, but I can't help it. I'm way psyched up about the playoffs. It's going to be an awesome year.

Didn't San Jose also have a certain coach now in Calgary when they did so good :lol:

The last few weeks of the season are going to be so exciting, I will be quite relieved when Calgary earns 3 more points to guarantee themselves a playoff spot.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were plenty of upsets in the first round as well, although Detroit looks to strong to be defeated twice in a row in the first round

we shall see

Edited by Delta Truth

Crap. At least Sundin got us one point.. with 13 seconds left (his number is 13, remember?). Still, we lost one point against Tampa in the playoff race, they won their shootout!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Didn't San Jose also have a certain coach now in Calgary when they did so good  :lol:

The last few weeks of the season are going to be so exciting, I will be quite relieved when Calgary earns 3 more points to guarantee themselves a playoff spot.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were plenty of upsets in the first round as well, although Detroit looks to strong to be defeated twice in a row in the first round

we shall  see

Darryl Sutter only managed to get the Sharks past the first round, and then the team tanked the next season. He was a great coach though, and I blame Owen Nolan more than anyone else for that. Ther were a few casualties from that tanked season, including Sutter, Kiprusoff, Nolan, and the GM Lombardi.

Under Ron Wilson they managed over 100 points for the first time in franchise history and went to game 7 of the conference finals. That was LAST season, or at least the last season played. It's odd that no one seems to give the Sharks much credit. I mean they didn't start the season out well, but even before that, the media seemed to give them little respect. Now the Thornton trade pretty much fixed San Jose's problems. They are still a bit shaky on D, but the young talent is there and will be even better next year. I'm also not too worried about Nabakov, he'll regain form eventually, and his backup has been near unbeatable in the last 25 games.

I was thinking more of the Nolan led team that made it to the playoffs as opposed to the '04 squad. You can say signing Thornton was the best thing SJ did, but getting rid of Nolan is up there too.

As for last nights' game against Minnesota. Edmonton should have two points as opposed to the one they earned in the shootout loss. Mike Peca scored a goal which went to video review. The ref and the Minny video judge waved it off before all of the camera angles came in. The views were inconclusive, but when the overhead cam came through it clearly showed the puck went in. I guess what ticks me the most is that the ref waited about a minute and a half. I've seen shootout goal reviews take ten minutes. Travesty? Yes. Conspiracy? Probably. Am I dissapointed? Most definately.

Edited by Kor Qel Droma

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Yeah, Edmonton got robbed, but I still think Vancouver will be the one to miss the playoffs. Hopefully San Jose will make it easier on you Oilers by sweeping them in the two upcoming games. Although honestly, I feel bad for whoever faces Detroit in the first round. They look incredibly solid and, unlike in previous seasons, they haven't slowed down at the end.

Anaheim and Colorado haven't wrapped up anything yet either. 5-9 is a crapshoot. I'm pretty sure LA is dead at this point.

I think the NHL should cut a couple of lawyers from their payroll and invest in some new video equipment. Or maybe a sensor inside the puck that lets you know if it's over the line. Again , tonight Edmonton lost out to the home team on a video review. I won't argue whether or not the call was right, but two games in two nights with shaky calls means there is kind of a credibility issue here.

But on the same note Edmonton scored again on the next shift. If Alan was here I'd post Fernando Pisani in giant type, but since he's not...

And it was Fernando who would have had his second if the video review had been conclusive.

Although it would be nice to talk about first round matchups something tells me we won't have a solid idea until the very last whistle to end the last game of the regular season to find out.

You guys and your Dallas/Edmonton fixation. Geez.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

It sure looks like it..

Edit: Ohno, they let one in, with 8 minutes to go.

Anyhow, they're competing against Tampa for the last playoff spot. Unfortunately, Tampa doesn't seem to want to lose any games either, which is what Toronto needs if they are to make it. Tampa must lose and Toronto must keep on winning.

Edited by mkreku

Man, it's like the entire western conference has it out for the Oilers right now. Two game winning goals dissallowed in two nights, plus every team above and below them has games in hand and won't lose.

10 days of hockey left in the regular season. 10 days!!! Although my thirty point lead in my hockey pool has dwindled to 26, I'm still confident I'll take home teh loot. And if I do, I'll buy the first two rounds of drinks for all mah homies in the NHL thread.

And somebody mark the date down. I'm rooting for the Flames to beat Vancouver tonight, although if Kipper got horribly injured I wouldn't shed too many tears. >_<

edit: It's just about time to dust off my Chicago Cubs avatars. Derrek Lee for MVP!!!

Edited by Kor Qel Droma

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

I just wish I was in St.Louis so I could grab Al MacInnes' sweater and hang it on the roof myself. Just get on with it already!!

Actually I have nothing but respect for Mr.break-your-nose-with-my-slaphot-if-you're-fool-enough-to-get-in-it's-way.

Yes!!! It's finally going up! Now hopefully a hockey game can start. Why would a team wait until the last week of the season to retire a number anyway?

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Edmonton lost to St. Louis? That means they're two points ahead of Vancouver, but Vancouver has played one game less. The battle for the last playoff spot is pretty tight in both conferences it seems. Toronto is still seven points behind Tampa for the last spot but at least they have played one game less. It can be as little as five points, with a little luck. If only Tampa can continue losing..

Toronto have been playing pretty good recently, but it really doesn't matter. Except Tampa, Toronto are battling against Montreal and New Jersey. New Jersey won its seventh game in a row tonight and Montreal has only lost two games from the last ten! So no matter how good Toronto plays, the other teams are the hottest in the NHL right now and seem uncatchable. If only Toronto hadn't lost those two straight games against Montreal..