NHL

Fionavar

I'm not sure why I'm responding to Volourn, since he's always right and I am always wrong, but this site does a cool job of showing the graphical differences.

http://www.brent-thomas.com/other/hockey/hockey.html

NHL96 (look at 1995 on the site) was the first major leap in terms of graphics, and the consoles just couldn't compete. I don't have any official stance on this, I never said I think it's good to shaft the consoles. It's just the way it was. Only the PC had the power to pull off the best hockey games, and for awhile, hockey games were even winning awards from CGW for best sports game.

It wasn't just graphics either, the PC version clearly benefitted from and independant development cycle. The interface was made for the PC only. Currently, the NHL series is simply ported over from the console version. I would love to see these games developed separately. As it stands, the console is the primary focus.

Hey Alan, did I tell you what I'm doing the week of September 14 - 17? I'm going to be watching the Joey Moss cup played out in my hometown as the Oilers are holding their training camp here. (w00t) (w00t)

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Trevor Linden is stepping down as the NHLPA president. I can hardly remember him not being in that position. I wonder who will replace him? Among active players, I'm thinking Shanahan might fill the role since he did do that summit during the lockout. Otherwise I'm guessing it will be a recently retired player.

Just as long as Trent Klatt doesn't get the nod I could really care less about the NHLPA. I wonder if Linded is stepping down because of the insurgents who questioned the appointment of Ted Saskin. Don't cave in to Chelios, Trevor!!

As weird as that story is, this one I came across at the HF boards puzzled me even more. Of course for a while I thought he was buying the Blackhawks as well, until I actually read the article. For a second I thought that Bill Wirtzs' reign of terror in Chicago had finally ended.

Edited by Kor Qel Droma

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Holy ****, Gainey was one busy bastard today!

As for Sammy, he was a decent if inconsistant rental. At least we've got Marty Reasoner back.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Holy ****, Gainey was one busy bastard today!

As for Sammy, he was a decent if inconsistant rental.  At least we've got Marty Reasoner back.

I can't help but feel that he could have gotten more than a 3rd round draft pick though. Samsonov for two years at $3.525 Mil though. They need more size than speed and skill though... ;)

Hey Alan, did I tell you what I'm doing the week of September 14 - 17?  I'm going to be watching the Joey Moss cup played out in my hometown as the Oilers are holding their training camp here.  (w00t)  (w00t)

Nice.

On with other news, the Oilers have locked up Shawn Horcoff for 3 years, at 3.6 million per year. Hopefully he can continue his play (or even improve upon it) from last season.

Some people have done all sorts of numbers crunching at the Hockey's Future forums, and found that Horcoff typically played our toughest minutes.

Edited by alanschu

Maybe I spoke too soon about that Alan. Apparantley there is hellacrazy interest in those seats. It's 10 dollars a session for the morning training camps. One arena holds 1300 people max, and the other 2600. It's going to be a bitch scoring tickets unless I shell out near 220 bux for the deluxe package, which gets me into everything, including a wine and cheese thingy with some of the players. Sorry, but I only break out my suit for weddings and funerals.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

I talked to the manager of the arena when she came shopping this morning. She said that's all she's done is answer the phone since they made the announcement. I didn't even get to play my 'But I'm your local grocer' clout card. :wub:

And I for one don't want to see Eric Lindros in an Edmonton jersey. Bring in Gonchar!!

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

I'm amazed you're not mentioning the fact that your GM signed a whopping seven players today.  That's a full line with two sets of d!

Well, Doug Wilson knows how to get deals done. Dean Lombardi used to try and hardball everyone, which is great for business but bad for morale. Still, they were mostly 3rd and 4th line guys. I was happy to see Goc and Stevenson wrapped up, and not all that pleased to see Parker come back, but I guess the enforcer role is still a commodity.

I still expect a goalie to be moved, preferrably for a defenseman, and I'd like to see Nils Ekman get traded. He's been booted off the highest scoring line in hockey, so I don't imagine he'll have much confidence in San Jose. Hopefully he has some value, with a couple 20 goal seasons under his belt.

Speaking of Goc, I think he's going to blossom into a solid scorer this next season. He's underrated because of his defensive responsibilities, but I see him turning into a Joe Newiendyke (sp?) type player.