NHL

Fionavar

MVP to me the importance of the player to the team's success. In the case of Ovechkin, the question is what success? As well as he's playing; would Washington be much worse if he weren't playing? Heck, can they? With Ovechkin, Washington is one of the worst teams in the leagues. Without him, they really cna't be worse.

SJ is trickier since they are a middling team.. then again, they were a middling team on the bublle before Thorton came... though, they've played better with him than without.

Rangers are a different situation. With Jagr playing like Jagr, the Rangers are one of the better teams in the league (even with their recent slump). Take out Jagr, and the Rangers are likely in SJ's boat - a middling team struggling to make the play-offs.

That's why Jagr is the odds on favorite to win MVP.. at least right now.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The Rangers are getting solid goaltending, as Volourn has pointed out a few times. I think that plays a major part in thier success.

The Sharks have gone 22-11-5 since Thornton came over. It's hard to say that they'd be a middling team if they had him at the beginning of the season. But again, if they don't make the playoffs, I say no MVP for Thornton, and I'd say the same for Jagre.

Ovechkin scores a lot of goal because his team is down by a few and the other team is playing the 3rd and 4th lines. It is easier to score when you are already down by 5 or 6, because your opponents are relaxed. He would deserve a scoring title, but not an MVP award in my eyes. An MVP should be a guy who make the whole team better too, and I think Jagre and Thornton both epitomize that.

Ovechkin scores a lot of goal because his team is down by a few and the other team is playing the 3rd and 4th lines. It is easier to score when you are already down by 5 or 6, because your opponents are relaxed. He would deserve a scoring title, but not an MVP award in my eyes. An MVP should be a guy who make the whole team better too, and I think Jagre and Thornton both epitomize that.

I certainly haven't noticed that. Besides, line 3 is typically THE checking line for most teams.

"The Rangers are getting solid goaltending, as Volourn has pointed out a few times. I think that plays a major part in thier success."

Of course, Lundqvist has played rather well even during the losing streak (most goals surrendered was 3, and that was in overtime). This proves his importance is at Jagr's level. Rangers are struggliing because Jagr is struggling. Simple as that.

Outside of Jagr, and Lundqvist; the Rangers have crappy players. They are the very definition of a two man team. There's a reason why most eevryone chose them to finish dead last in the NHL this year.

"Not to derail your fine arguements, but did any of you see Ovechkin lay out Zdeno Chara last night?"

No. I was paying attention to the Rangers choking plus, sadly, no games were shown on my tv last night.

I think that entirely understates the effectiveness of the rest of the team.

I don't see Jagr being so good, with Lundqvist, that the contributions of the rest of the team are entirely moot.

I find hockey to be one of the better "team games" out there where a few people can carry a team.

Not to derail your fine arguements, but did any of you see Ovechkin lay out Zdeno Chara last night?  Wowsers ;)

Did he actually knock Chara over? I saw a replay of the hit on TSN, but it didn't show much. From what I saw it just knocked him kinda off balance but I could be wrong. If he really did level Chara then ;) just about sums up my feelings.

Thornton got three assists tonight to take the scoring lead. Cheechoo got all three of the goals to give him 40 on the season. Someone asked me at the start of the season if I thought Marleau would break out this year. I said I had higher expectations for Cheechoo. Marleau has definitely had a break out season, but I'm glad I was half right.

Alright, enough fanboism, I'm going to sleep happy.

Go Leafs go!

Anyone have a linky to that Ovechkin hit on Chara? I sure would like to see it.

Edit: While searching for that hit, I found this one:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4...3525&q=ovechkin

Kind of nice, that too :()

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Actually the hit you're looking for was very similar. Chara was behind the net playing the puck out, I believe, and Ovy pretty much ran over the immobile freak of nature on skates. He didn't quite flop as much as Colin White did in your video, but the fact that the future Calder winner didn't lose a stride made it seem more impressive to me.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

The kid has great balance. But check out the Calder race: Crosby is gaining on Ovechkin! Ovechkin has gone two games without registering a point, while Crosby has beet red hot.

The race isn't over until the fat Chara sings!

The race isn't over until the fat Chara sings!

So just when are you expecting to see this race end? :)

When Ottawa has taken home the Stanley Cup of course!

I would also say Ovechkin, mostly because I think his goals total is amazing, he scores amazing goals and (as you said) he's practically alone out there with Kolzig. Also, he's a spectacular physical force to be reckoned with. I must say I haven't seen anyone that good at delivering hits since.. Stevens?! Ok, that's stretching it, but at least a young, healthy Lindros. What speaks to Crosby's advantage is that he's so much younger and he's playing center, the most valuable and difficult position (save the goalie) on the ice.

Rangers lost again (with Weekes taking the blame this time), Ovechkin tallies another one (to go with two helpers) and the Leafs are in overtime against the Bruins. Go Tellquist!

Oilers hang on for the W.  Nice game by the Rolonator.

Believe it or not, I actually fell asleep on the couch during the second period o:) . I just woke up a few minutes ago and my first waking thought was " What was the score?". Color me relieved. Now its another BOA coming up on thursday. Big points up for grabs at a critical time. It looks to me from the stats sheets Samsononv did a good job of turning invisible tonight, hopefully that's not a sign of things to come.

That ties Edmonton for seventh in the west with the horribly slumping Canucks. I still see them making the playoffs, however, but can agree with Hurly in saying that the Kings will need a miracle to stay in the race.

Way to go Marty Reasoner!!! Playing with Glen Murray has got to be a lot of fun.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.