Elusive sniper saps US morale in Baghdad

Hildegard

Snipers are elusive hunters, in order to take one out you need to send one after them. To take out a sniper you send in one of your own to hide in the areas where this one is at. At times I question the military "intelligence" when it comes to such things.

Many of your question are answered in the link.....I'm sure the coalition is doing everything in their power to find him and take him out, I damn sure they don't want Juba to become Iraqi Vasily Zaitsev...

Snipers are elusive hunters, in order to take one out you need to send one after them. To take out a sniper you send in one of your own to hide in the areas where this one is at. At times I question the military "intelligence" when it comes to such things.

Sounds like an action movie.......in fact, it sounds like every crappy action movie I've seen in the past decade. :)

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Well I'm glad to know that Volo, AKA zombie, wouldn't mind going on a patrol in an area known for deadly sniper activity.

As for the videos, no thanks, I've seen enough. I'm afraid seeing too many of these would make me go more right wing than I already am.

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

It's disturbing, no matter how you look at it. The video of Nick Berg, for those of you who haven't seen it, was absolutely sick. And it wasn't quick, either. :) It disturbs me most that people can do things like this and still live with themselves. I don't care who you are - nobody deserves to go out that way.

That was a stupid comment.

The only thing stupid on this page is your naive and foolish comment how the US forces should deal with this Jaba which just proves the fact you're talking pure BS. How will you send one sniper to go find another in a vast city such as Bagdad, plus US sniper teams go on the field in two man teams - a shooter and a spotter, not one man hotshot style ...yes snipers that would go get other snipers, but one on one - this is no Arnie movie or Enemy at the Gates.

"We have different techniques to try to lure him out, but he is very well trained and very patient. He doesn't fire a second shot."

That's why it's practley impossible for the US forces to catch him like that.

Some in the battalion want marksmen to occupy rooftops overlooking supply routes, Juba's hunting ground, to try to put him in the cross-hairs.

"It would be a pretty ****ty assignment because he's good," said Spc Burress. "I think it's a sniper's job to get a sniper, and it'd probably take all of us to get him."

My view is that it's a long shot, they'll catch Juba when/if he makes a mistake.

Edited by Hildegard

That was a stupid comment.

The only thing stupid on this page is your naive and foolish comment how the US forces should deal with this Jaba which just proves the fact you're talking pure BS. How will you send one sniper to go find another in a vast city such as Bagdad, plus US sniper teams go on the field in two man teams - a shooter and a spotter, not one man hotshot style - this is no Arnie movie...

"We have different techniques to try to lure him out, but he is very well trained and very patient. He doesn't fire a second shot."

That's why it's practley impossible for the US forces to catch him like that.

Some in the battalion want marksmen to occupy rooftops overlooking supply routes, Juba's hunting ground, to try to put him in the cross-hairs.

"It would be a pretty ****ty assignment because he's good," said Spc Burress. "I think it's a sniper's job to get a sniper, and it'd probably take all of us to get him."

My view is that it's a long shot, they'll catch Juba when/if he makes a mistake.

Read a few posts up to see where I got the damned idea from. I wasn't thinking of a stupid movie.

Fools

I didn't see anything in the article to indicate he (if it's really just one person) took out 50 to 146 US soldiers.

"Since February, the killing of at least two members of the battalion and the wounding of six more have been attributed to Juba. Some think it is also he that has picked off up to a dozen other soldiers."

Bomb makers are far and away the biggest threat and morale sappers to US troops.

During the battle of Stalingrad the Germans had a sniper that was picking off the Russian soldiers. In order to get to him, the Russians brought in their best sniper to hunt him down, which he did and killed him.

First it was Vasily Grigoryevich Zaitsev that took out 225 German soldiers....then, only by some Soviet reports, did the Germans send Major Heinz Thorvald to get him. Allegedly after a hunt of several days Zaitsev shot him dead....

Fool :)

Edited by Hildegard

I didn't see anything in the article to indicate he (if it's really just one person) took out 50 to 146 US soldiers.

"Since February, the killing of at least two members of the battalion and the wounding of six more have been attributed to Juba. Some think it is also he that has picked off up to a dozen other soldiers."

Bomb makers are far and away the biggest threat and morale sappers to US troops.

I can see a bomber running towards me...I can't see the guy up in the tower leveling a high-powered rifle at my head from 300 yards out.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

- Everlast

I'm disappointed to see that someone felt it would be appropriate to make film of Americans being killed available to the forum. But I'm not surprised.

As for "seeing what war is like", don't make me wretch. Two kids in our small county came home in pieces; one came home in a coffin. Several of my loved ones are fighting. One was severely injured. The others will, if my memory of VietNam vets is any clue, will never be the same emotionally. Over 2,000 soldiers have died, and 20 times that many have been wounded. Telling us we need to watch our soldiers die in order to "see what war is like" is rather like telling a Baghdad resident they need to see the bodies of their friends, neighbors and loved ones dismembered in living color in order to "see what war is like."

Anyway I didn't watch the video of hostages being beheaded, and I don't plan to watch the video Hildeguard as so thoughtfully provided. Those who wish to see it in all its glory, knock yourselves out.

During the battle of Stalingrad the Germans had a sniper that was picking off the Russian soldiers. In order to get to him, the Russians brought in their best sniper to hunt him down, which he did and killed him.

First it was Vasily Grigoryevich Zaitsev that took out 225 German soldiers....then, only by some Soviet reports, did the Germans send Major Heinz Thorvald to get him. Allegedly after a hunt of several days Zaitsev shot him dead....

Fool :)

Somethings were in error but it's the idea I was trying to get across.

I can see a bomber running towards me...I can't see the guy up in the tower leveling a high-powered rifle at my head from 300 yards out.

Can you see an IED burried under your feet as you pass, if so please contact the US military. :)"

But I get what you mean :)

Edited by Hildegard

Can you see an IED burried under your feet as you pass, if so please contact the US military. :)"

But I get what you mean :thumbsup:

Well of course not. He was referring to the suicide bombers...or at least I thought so anyway. :p

- Everlast

For the last time.....I didn't put a link of the film to be available for everybody on this forum to watch, I only said that those who are interested in watching it can ask and I'll PM them.

Thus, making it available to people in this forum. Which is precisely what I said. Apparently you wanted to make certain everyone knew you had the video as well, since you kindly used it as a sub-heading to the threads title: "JUBA Sniper Video". Under the circumstances, it's disingenuous of you to try and divest yourself of responsibility for providing it, wouldn't you say?

Who's telling you have to watch that video? Second, that video wasn't made at all so you or anybody else can "see what war is like", it was made soly for propaganda purposes by the insurgents and possibly Juba.

Nobody is telling me I have to watch it; you, however, are telling the forum that we have to have a thread on it, according to this discussion between you and kirottu.

Do we really have to have thread about video where people kill people?  :thumbsup:

I guess we do cattus....

You didn't explain why we have to have such a thread, however. As for my comments about watching the video to "see what war is like", I was referring to statements by Fighter, who said the following:

Atleast this one shoots at soldiers. Unlike those other scumbags.... <snip>...I think its good to see a few times what war really is like...

OK then those who wish to see your pathetic sarcastic comments in all its glory on me and this video more, feel free Di to make your own thread and how do you say it? - knock yourselve out.

My comments were not sarcastic. They were sad, and they expressed disappointment to which I am entitled. Frankly I do not think that one who found it necessary to express himself by bringing an article and video of my countrymen... perhaps even someone I know and care about... being killed to this forum has any right to angry or huffy when others express themselves in a non-insulting and civilized manner.

As for the sniper who is the "star" of the film, I doubt he demoralizes troops as much as the roadside bombs that result in 90+% of military deaths, the kidnapping and murder of journalists and other civilians that I know for a fact makes our troop want to weep with helplessness, and watching the rest of the civilian population targeted for destruction by terrorists that wouldn't even be in that damned country if not for our intervention there.

Edited by ~Di

Pruned and restored by the lazy moderator that should have done it yesterday. ;) Idiot!

PS - Hilde, send me the link will you? I'm morbidly curious.

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

By which time he'll have trained a dozen people to replace him. Unless 'he' already is a dozen people, which wouldn't surprise me.

So the circus moves on to Iran, and Iraq (like Afghanistan before it) fades from the headlines. :o

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

By which time he'll have trained a dozen people to replace him. Unless 'he' already is a dozen people, which wouldn't surprise me.

So the circus moves on to Iran, and Iraq (like Afghanistan before it) fades from the headlines. :)

I believe 'Juba' - the sniper that took out more then 50 US soldiers in Southern Baghdad is one man. But the incident with four US snipers being all taken out with headshots in Ramadi is a work of several insurgent snipers, nobody alone is that good. It could of been the Jaish Al Mujahideen Brigade that killed those snipers, they are also very well known for their extensive sniper activity....I have their videos as well :o"