NWN2 Interview @ RPGDot

Dhruin

That is interesting, Mr. Llyranor Man. I'll have to confer with Magical Volo and see where we can take this.

Speaking of technical possibilities, I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to make a spell that traps a target in a sphere but allows characters to manipulate the sphere. The idea is to trap the target in the sphere, than move it around.

You might have to abstract it in a sense. WHat do you mean by "manipulate the sphere" though.

Because you could just put a sphere around someone and let them walk around, without being able to interact with the environment.

I'd say it's possible, but that depends on what 'manipulate' implies, like alanschu mentioned. In terms of casting a spell on a target that makes a spherical special effect and neutralizes the target, making it susceptible to commands (via dialogue, items, etc) could indeed be done.

As for character creation, to look at it in a simplified way, basically, let's say there are two paths: lockpicking vs archery, as you mentioned. If the player takes path 1, you give him +1 in lockpicking, or +1 in archery if the other path is chosen. This can be done via the default in-game DnD system, but that can be a bit awkward in terms of balancing and limitations (being stuck with the default crap is kind of sucky).

Otherwise, you could play with variables. Say, have a variable named 'lockpicking', and one named 'archery'. You can just add them up as they increase skill-wise, without having to rely on the default system. This allows you to balance it with YOUR game as well, the way YOU want it.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

You might have to abstract it in a sense.  WHat do you mean by "manipulate the sphere" though.

Because you could just put a sphere around someone and let them walk around, without being able to interact with the environment.

I'd say it's possible, but that depends on what 'manipulate' implies, like alanschu mentioned. In terms of casting a spell on a target that makes a spherical special effect and neutralizes the target, making it susceptible to commands (via dialogue, items, etc) could indeed be done.

By manipulate I'm thinking of something like... Here's an example, let's say there are three goblins I need to capture and take to a certain place. They're very elusive and are using magic to run faster than I can. So I conjure a sphere which will trap one of them. He will be rendered immobile and the sphere, after cast at him and imprisioning him, becomes solid and able to be manipulated as if it were a regular ball - only larger and slightly heavier. Depending on the side a PC faces the ball, he can push it so it moves around. So if a PC decided to touch it (by touch I don't necessarily mean physical contact; a small dialogue asking the PC if he wants to touch the sphere could apply) from the left, the ball would roll left until it an obstacle.

And so on for each direction until I trap all the goblins in a special prison of sorts.

As for character creation, to look at it in a simplified way, basically, let's say there are two paths: lockpicking vs archery, as you mentioned. If the player takes path 1, you give him +1 in lockpicking, or +1 in archery if the other path is chosen. This can be done via the default in-game DnD system, but that can be a bit awkward in terms of balancing and limitations (being stuck with the default crap is kind of sucky).

We considered this and it remained a last resort option.

Otherwise, you could play with variables. Say, have a variable named 'lockpicking', and one named 'archery'. You can just add them up as they increase skill-wise, without having to rely on the default system. This allows you to balance it with YOUR game as well, the way YOU want it.

Well, the initial design was to have the character be classless and unskilled, who would gain new skills in given ocasions, and improve them trough numerous ways. Would it be possible to allow for a kind of character creation that only focuses on appearance and attributes, but then letting the variables determine just what skills the character gains along the way (and things like classes determined by ingame choices)?

By manipulate I'm thinking of something like... Here's an example, let's say there are three goblins I need to capture and take to a certain place. They're very elusive and are using magic to run faster than I can. So I conjure a sphere which will trap one of them. He will be rendered immobile and the sphere, after cast at him and imprisioning him, becomes solid and able to be manipulated as if it were a regular ball - only larger and slightly heavier. Depending on the side a PC faces the ball, he can push it so it moves around. So if a PC decided to touch it (by touch I don't necessarily mean physical contact; a small dialogue asking the PC if he wants to touch the sphere could apply) from the left, the ball would roll left until it an obstacle.

And so on for each direction until I trap all the goblins in a special prison of sorts.

This is definitely possible.

Well, the initial design was to have the character be classless and unskilled, who would gain new skills in given ocasions, and improve them trough numerous ways. Would it be possible to allow for a kind of character creation that only focuses on appearance and attributes, but then letting the variables determine just what skills the character gains along the way (and things like classes determined by ingame choices)?

Yes. It doesn't have to be an awkward compromise, either, you could have it as extended as your system needs it to be.

Hadescopy.jpg

Yes. It doesn't have to be an awkward compromise, either, you could have it as extended as your system needs it to be.

True, but the character will need to begin as a set class / race / gender, won't it? You can't have a non-descript PC, AFAIK. The PC attributes can be changed infinitely, but they have to start somewhere. (Memories of the Shepherd in Ultima III!)

Also:

RPGDot: How powerful is the new conversation editor and what sort of things can module builders achieve in dialogue without additional scripting?

Chris Avellone (Creative Director): The ability to cut and paste global scripts throughout the dialogue and have generic scripts that you simply plug numbers into is a blessing. By this I mean, if you need a script that checks to see if a player's intelligence is over a certain value, there's a generic script you can use that allows you to enter a field number for any value you want right in the conversation editor

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

True, but the character will need to begin as a set class / race / gender, won't it? You can't have a non-descript PC, AFAIK. The PC attributes can be changed infinitely, but they have to start somewhere. (Memories of the Shepherd in Ultima III!)

Also:

Basically, the only thing that *has* to matter (and this isn't even absolute, you can change it afterwards, if that's what you want) is appearance. Namely, race and gender. Class and attributes are irrelevant if you're not using the default system.

Hadescopy.jpg