To Boldly Go...

Arkan

I would gladly take the chance of getting of this planet as I know there are plenty of people out there who would be glad seeing me leave. :D

The vessel will more than likely use a combination ion ramjet/Nuclear powered drive with the hyperspace component nestled within the system.

Edited by Judge Hades

If someone pointed at one of those vehicles and told me "that baby will go into another dimension and warp itself into hyperspace, get in", I'd most certainly reply "I'm not setting my foot in that thing".

Man, I'm going to have to remember to study mathematics in my next life.

If this is all possible and they manage to make it, whoever goes is just next in line in the long history of explorers. Plenty of people didn't want to set foot in a boot to go sailing across the Atlantic, nor hop atop a rocket and get shot into outer space.

...or put on a pair of wings and jump from a cliff. It's all about evaluating the risks, Commissar, and I don't feel the particular need to die in the name of science.

^Asinus asinorum in saecula saeculorum

But its just too trekie.  I mean our broadcast signals are going into the depths of space.  SOme alien probably saw the whole Star Trek series then sees an earth ship called enterprise?  It would be a way too awkward of a first contact.

Well, that's the fault of Star Trek dorks. When I hear 'Enterprise,' I think of CVN-65, not a science fiction show. Whoever makes Star Trek appropriated the name, and that's unfortunate, but it shouldn't necessitate the end of a long-standing US military tradition.

But its just too trekie.  I mean our broadcast signals are going into the depths of space.  SOme alien probably saw the whole Star Trek series then sees an earth ship called enterprise?  It would be a way too awkward of a first contact.

Well, that's the fault of Star Trek dorks. When I hear 'Enterprise,' I think of CVN-65, not a science fiction show. Whoever makes Star Trek appropriated the name, and that's unfortunate, but it shouldn't necessitate the end of a long-standing US military tradition.

A cruddy nuclear powered aircraft carrier?

Think about the old wooden warship that was in the British navy.